A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

17' Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17' Model

Haven't seen much said about the upcoming 17' but I anticipate it will be here this summer. Anyone heard otherwise? Also curious to know if the virtual cockpit will be an added feature given that its now included in 3 of the audi models (TT, A4, Q7).
Old 04-05-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gema7
Haven't seen much said about the upcoming 17' but I anticipate it will be here this summer. Anyone heard otherwise? Also curious to know if the virtual cockpit will be an added feature given that its now included in 3 of the audi models (TT, A4, Q7).
According to the audiusa website, " Now available in the 2016 Audi TT and available next year on the 2017 Q7, A4 and R8."

A7 is not on the list
Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
According to the audiusa website, " Now available in the 2016 Audi TT and available next year on the 2017 Q7, A4 and R8."

A7 is not on the list
Hmm I guess that means we shouldn't be expecting that as a feature till the next model design? That's probably not till 2019...sheesh
Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can we at least expect apple car play in the 17'? Really trying to figure out what new features will be offered in this next model year.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I visited my dealer today, as I'm considering leasing a 2017 A7 later this year (I currently drive an A6). He had no specific information about the 2017 model, but guessed that it would be out this summer.

Based on my experience with Audi, I would assume that there will be no significant changes to the 2017 model - no virtual cockpit, no Apple CarPlay, no Android Auto, etc. Maybe there will be slight changes to the wheel options, maybe they will add or remove an exterior color option, or maybe they will do a slight reconfiguration to the option packages, but that's about it. I hope I'm wrong though.

Also, all signs seem to be pointing to a re-design in model year 2019. If anyone knows of anything different, please chime in.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It was either Road and Track or Car and Driver this month that said the A6/A7 would be updated for the MY18 and to expect in in Mid-2017. For the "A" models expect the supercharged 3.0L V6 to be replaced with a turbocharged mill.

However, nothing official. Just speculation....
Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find that article.

It doesn't make sense to me though. The A7 had a supposed "mid-cycle" refresh for model year 2016, so I would be surprised if Audi introduced the new A7 so soon thereafter.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree but they apparently are planning to move away from the hatchback style and go more traditional I suppose. That being said, if true, the mid-cycle refresh was probably just the last hoorah. Personally, i don't know why they'd get away from the distinct style. I think it's served its purpose in distinguishing itself from its competitors in class. All that being said I would expect them to at least include Apple car play in the 17' model. Unless it's an intensive software/hardware system.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The "refresh" for the A7 was in 2014 calendar year, just after 3 years from initial production (of the A7, the C7 A6 variant came later) . The C7 platform has a 7 years life. New C8 platform (MLB Evo) will not commence production until the end of 2017 - calendar year. It is last in the line of the MLB cars, as B9 A5 comes next, then D5 A8.

It seems unlikely they will do anything significant for the last year of production, and there doesn't seem to be anything happening this year. As mentioned, maybe the 3.0TFSI supercharged engine will be replaced by the new 3.0TFSI turbocharged engines (the newer one seems to use a much lighter block, so it is a new engine not just a switch in charger type).

I have read that adding the VC needs to wait until the MLB Evo platform - the changes to the electrics are too significant for the C7.

Audi's design chief has indicated that the C8 A7 will be a more radical design departure from the A6, so the opposite direction from what gema7 has heard. And it will use the styling cues from Lichte's Prologue design. Whilst the Prologue was shown in a coupe and avant format, I'm sure the new A7 will look like a child of the two. Rather than being more traditional, he said the C8 A7 will be:

“We’ve already designed the successor, and it goes a different way [from today’s model],” he says. “It will be a lot more emotional, a lot more sporty.”

Full article here:
Audi Design Chief Marc Lichte on the Next A8, Other Future Product ?*News ?*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Old 04-14-2016, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

In the U.S., the A7 was not refreshed until model year 2016, but I think Europe got the refreshed car one model year sooner.

But, like Glisse, I did hear that the new A7 is going to be much different than the A6, which I think is a good thing. One of the reasons I'm still on the fence about whether I should get a 2017 A7 is that the current generation A7 is virtually identical in many ways (interior, engine, etc.) to my 2014 A6. But it is a great car, and I love the exterior styling.

Quick Reply: 17' Model