2013 A7 Won't keep running when I get out

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A7 Won't keep running when I get out

This is a new "feature."

Here's how it works:

I pull up to the video rental store on a hot summer day. I get out to run in the store and pick up a movie. My wife wants to stay in the car. I would like to leave the car running so she has air conditioning and stereo.

But, the car is too smart... even though I leave the car running, in PARK, as soon as I get out it turns itself off.

Anybody know how to disable this "feature?"

Note: Our salesman, who is really awesome, told me if I restart the car it won't turn itself out a second time. It's an ok work-around, but still....
Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidRS
This is a new "feature."

Here's how it works:

I pull up to the video rental store on a hot summer day. I get out to run in the store and pick up a movie. My wife wants to stay in the car. I would like to leave the car running so she has air conditioning and stereo.

But, the car is too smart... even though I leave the car running, in PARK, as soon as I get out it turns itself off.

Note: Our salesman, who is really awesome, told me if I restart the car it won't turn itself out a second time. It's an ok work-around, but still....

My 2012 A7 doesn't do that...
Old 08-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, i just got my 2013 just 4 days ago, and I've had the same experience.

I did find that if I press the Start/Stop but tun on the dash before I put the car in Park, that I can get out and keep the car running.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

U.S. 2013 A6/A7:

When you are stopped and open the door, the engine shuts off. You will see a graphic of the open door in the DIS. Doesn't matter where the key is at that point.

When you stop the car, turn it off and restart it again without moving the car, when you open the door, you will see a DIS message, "Turn off Car before leaving" or some such and the engine will remain running after you get out.

Move the car again and you will have the auto shut off start working once more when you stop and open the door.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by acole
Yeah, i just got my 2013 just 4 days ago, and I've had the same experience.

I did find that if I press the Start/Stop but tun on the dash before I put the car in Park, that I can get out and keep the car running.
Thanks, I'll definitely try that! Just to clarify, the start button I'm used to is on the console -- is there a different button I should be looking for?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is a new "feature."

Here's how it works:

Yeah, I cant even jump out real quick to get the mail. At least I was able to shut off the start/stop feature. This one is next.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I'll definitely try that! Just to clarify, the start button I'm used to is on the console -- is there a different button I should be looking for?
My bad...I think I'm wrong....I believe when I tried it, I had restarted the car, and it had not moved, so in essence I think I was simply restarting the car. I agree, it's an annoying feature.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acole
My bad...I think I'm wrong....I believe when I tried it, I had restarted the car, and it had not moved, so in essence I think I was simply restarting the car. I agree, it's an annoying feature.
it can be disabled, check the VCDS, it might be in Start Auth
Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stevial
it can be disabled, check the VCDS, it might be in Start Auth
Even the newest version of VCDS does not know how to do that, but guys on German forum (www.motor-talk.de) know and helped. In module 46 (comform), last byte (byte 15th, first byte is 0th) of long coding is 0F when the feature we are talking about is on. Change it to 00 and engine will be no longer shut down when you unlock and open the driver's door. Just verified on 2013 Q5 - works fine.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would the 0566 update or 0609 software resolve this?

From previous posts about auto shutoff and parking brake, it looks like users with the 0609 version of software (or 0566 update) don't have this issue?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839904

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839938

Last edited by CHZHD; 02-05-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 A7 Won't keep running when I get out