A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2013 A7 wont power down

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A7 wont power down

Hey guys, seeing if one of you can help me sort this issue out. My 2013 A7 will not fully power down upon exit. The car is stock other than a stage 1 APR tune.

Here is the issue: When I leave the car without hitting the start/stop button the car will go into shutdown mode. MMI screen retracts, parking break goes on, engine stops. If the headlights were on they will turn off after 20 seconds or so... however the LED running lights and tail lights stay on for over 20 minutes and the dash will remain lit up as well. Im not sure if its not recognizing that the key fob has left the car or what but I did put new batteries in both the key fobs. If I lock the car via the fob everything turns off.

See video of the issue:
Old 12-27-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a car you have had and this problem just started? I'm not a lot of help because I had no idea you could walk away from the car and it will fully power down without hitting the start/stop button to begin with.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Is this a car you have had and this problem just started? I'm not a lot of help because I had no idea you could walk away from the car and it will fully power down without hitting the start/stop button to begin with.
This is an option in the A7 in the USA i guess... the car will automatically shut down if the driver side door is opened. I wish there was a way to shut that off but honestly its kinda nice. Otherwise you have to hit the start stop button 2 times to fully power down the car.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mercurial
This is an option in the A7 in the USA i guess... the car will automatically shut down if the driver side door is opened. I wish there was a way to shut that off but honestly its kinda nice. Otherwise you have to hit the start stop button 2 times to fully power down the car.
Very confused. That is exactly how my 2012 BMW 550 worked. But the Audi does not require two pushes of the on/ off to power it down. I hated that about my BMW. BTW, I have had a 2015 and now a 2016 A7 and neither one of them required two pushes of the button.

I should clarify though that like many vehicles, accessories stay on until the door is opened, which I like. On the BMW, even opening the door did not power down accessories unless you pushed the button twice.

Could you please confirm if you have had the car and this is something that just changed? I assume you are putting the car in park then opening the door assuming that everything should shut down without pushing the button at all. I actually have never tried to do that but will go out and try it.

EDIT. Just tried it in my 2016. The engine keeps running when I get out, and even pushing the lock button on the FOB does not shut it off.

Last edited by jjsC6; 12-27-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

EDIT. Just tried it in my 2016. The engine keeps running when I get out, and even pushing the lock button on the FOB does not shut it off.
Is this a US model of the car? What sucks is there is no way to turn this feature off on the 2013, i have the latest MMI software and no matter what the car will turn off / power down as soon as i open my door, even if the car is in drive...
Old 12-27-2015, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's a Texas car...does that count
Old 12-27-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a Texas car...does that count
Wonder if the 2016 model has it as an MMI option...
Old 12-27-2015, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wonder if the 2016 model has it as an MMI option...
No options regarding that in either my 15 or 16.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is this a US model of the car? What sucks is there is no way to turn this feature off on the 2013, i have the latest MMI software and no matter what the car will turn off / power down as soon as i open my door, even if the car is in drive...
That sounds highly odd, my guess is someone jacked with vagcom settings or somethings not functioning properly. I've never heard of this and seems very odd that the car would shut off when opening the door...dealer time in my opinion.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I can't help much with this issue but i can verify that this is an option. one A7 i test drove had it, and another didn't. i wonder if your lights are on auto will they shut off?

Quick Reply: 2013 A7 wont power down