A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 A7 feels so stiff with regular dynamic suspension

Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was looking at Audi UK website they have 4 suspension options. We only have 2

They have
Air Supension
Dynamic Suspension
Sports suspension (which we have in the USA)
S-Line Sports suspension (which is MORE stiffer than S-line sports suspension)

Here is description:

The S line sports suspension gives drivers a dynamic driving experience and presents the vehicle in an even more sporty light.

Lowered by a further 10mm (over Sports suspension) with more dynamic suspension tuning over standard suspension.

So I WONDER if you have the s-line sports suspension which is MORE stiffer than our sports suspension.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you guys do me a favour? Could you check your spring on car if you have 4 rounds or 5? See picture what I found on website of AUdi A7 springs. I should have a standard dynamic suspension.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zdenog

Could you guys do me a favour? Could you check your spring on car if you have 4 rounds or 5? See picture what I found on website of AUdi A7 springs. I should have a standard dynamic suspension.
I have 4 springs like your and the A7 is super smooth and comfortable with my 19 inch winters Blizzak Lm32 and 20s summer with Michelin pilot all season 3 tires. The ride is excellent.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My USA A7 with Sport Suspension has three coils in the front wheel spring
Name:  spring%20DS%20front%2002_zpsrnh2a3sb.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  116.1 KB
Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
My USA A7 with Sport Suspension has three coils in the front wheel spring
You have 4 btw you missed the bottom turn.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for you information guys. Picture was taken when the car was lifted, right? I can't see a strut rod on my suspension at all.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for you information guys. Picture was taken when the car was lifted, right? I can't see a strut rod on my suspension at all.
Yeah I had mines lifted few days ago to change brakes so I took a quick look for you in the front and rear suspesion and got 4 turns. I am telling you the USA A7 sports package is "perfect" and far more compliant and smoother while retaining the sporty feel vs the pre-facelift A7s which I found to be a bit stiff with the sports and 20 inch wheels.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the Sport suspension and 20" wheels on my 2014 and find it to be perfect.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

You should find a friendly dealer and drive another A7 to determine whether there is some issue with yours. On standard suspension, with 17" wheels and SottoZero the ride should be soft, too soft for me, and nothing like your description.

My A7 has S line chassis suspension (as already mentioned by Superswiss, and repeated by Ballo), 20" wheels in summer, 19" wheels in winter. Which is 1BV (Sport is 1BE). On bad roads, there is some harshness, but my S5 cabriolet is still harsher. Rest of the time, the ride is excellent. And I would not want it any softer. I found the sport adaptive air suspension on the S6 too soft for my liking, but we all have different needs and perspectives on things like ride and handling.

As has been said, if you really liked the A6 on air suspension that you originally drove, it does seem a bit strange that you then went out and bought an A7 without the suspension you preferred.

To avoid any confusion, those in the US add a future year when talking model years. If you bought a 2016 A7 in Germany, in the US that is regarded as a 2017 model. So you have the latest production car, and the A6 you drove would have been a US MY16.

You can, of course, have a dealer fit air suspension to your A7 (1BK). It will be expensive, but surely preferable than putting up with a car you clearly don't enjoy?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Today I took 3 people to have a lunch together. What a surprice how the car felt better when fully loaded. Very nice feel and softer drive. Car did not jump like a nanny-goat and suspesion worked much better. When I drive just myself it feels like the car is too light to squeeze suspension and thats why I feel every bump.
I will go to dealer and explain all this to them. I think I have good research in this issue and he could undestard...
Btw. A7 is only design what I like in Audis car fleet. Thats why I bought it. There was a $7K different between spring and Air so I have thought I could live with regular suspension

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 A7 feels so stiff with regular dynamic suspension