A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 A7 - Rattle noise from front left at very low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A7 - Rattle noise from front left at very low speeds

Hi All,

I have a 2016 A7 and I'm experiencing a mild rattling kind of noise from the front left suspension / steering column area. It like a hollow-ish metal sound - like two heavy metal rods banging against each other. Kinda hard to describe..

I only hear it first thing in the morning, when I'm driving at ~5mph, specially when driving over man-hole covers or slightly uneven surfaces. The noise goes away at higher speeds and I can't even reproduce it once I slow down after going at a higher speed. It's only the next day when I leave for work, I hear it. When I am coming back from work, I can't hear anything, even though I'm driving over the exact same road at similar speed.

I'd go to the dealer, as it's under warranty, but problem is I'll have to leave the car at the dealer overnight and then ask him to drive it the next morning so he can hear the noise.

Is anyone else hearing something similar?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This actually started happening after the first oil change IIRC.. so definitely no a 'breaking in' thing.. the rattle is growing louder & louder now..
Old 12-29-2015, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same exact problem in my 12' A7. Dealer couldn't locate the source after mutiple trips so I swapped it out for 13' S7 with air suspension and no issues since.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by peytonel
Had the same exact problem in my 12' A7. Dealer couldn't locate the source after mutiple trips so I swapped it out for 13' S7 with air suspension and no issues since.
Wow, you just swapped the car? Who bore the cost difference?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mayankag
Wow, you just swapped the car? Who bore the cost difference?
HA!!! I bore the cost of the upgrade but due to my issue, they did give me a sweet discount on the S7. If you continue to have the problem, I would consider the same (you'd be extremely happy with the S7
Old 01-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick update:

Dealer was able to pin point the cause to the suspension wishbone (4G0-407-693-J) and the noise is gone after they replaced this part.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick update:

Dealer was able to pin point the cause to the suspension wishbone (4G0-407-693-J) and the noise is gone after they replaced this part.
Sweet !!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think I might have the same issue you were experiencing, it happened in the morning mostly and going over our cobble stone driveway. Hard to describe the sound perfectly but it was only coming from the left side; I wouldn't say mine is getting worse though. I'll have my dealer check it out when I take it in for a steering column issue mine exhibited over the weekend.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2016 A6 on the passenger front side. The dealer can't find anything wrong with the suspension and are now asking me to take things apart looking for a rock that may be causing the sound. Is this a way for them to get me to pay for 4 hours of labor and dodge a warranty claim? Any other solutions out there?
Old 08-13-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick update:

Nice.. this might be the problem with mine.

Quick Reply: 2016 A7 - Rattle noise from front left at very low speeds