A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 a7 or tesla 70d?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 a7 or tesla 70d?

I have a 2016 a7 but sometimes I wonder if I should have gone tesla? Same price pretty much, both hatch backs, and pretty much the same price.

I think the a7 is a sexier car, not by much though. I also drive really fast which will cut your range in half on a tesla. Plus contour seats, and the hud. (I also love the soft close doors for some reason. It always confuses women when you shut their door.)

But idk.,, they are gettin some work done over at tesla I think. Real quick. I think Audi is behind. But I also think Audi is the first to realize they're behind and are working on some good stuff.

I love my a7, but just wondering., I feel like that's not a topic people like to talk about. I don't know how I'd feel about a giant touchscreen... But that makes me feel like someone who held on to a blackberry like a dumb dumb.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by randyhouse
I have a 2016 a7 but sometimes I wonder if I should have gone tesla? Same price pretty much, both hatch backs, and pretty much the same price.

I think the a7 is a sexier car, not by much though. I also drive really fast which will cut your range in half on a tesla. Plus contour seats, and the hud. (I also love the soft close doors for some reason. It always confuses women when you shut their door.)

But idk.,, they are gettin some work done over at tesla I think. Real quick. I think Audi is behind. But I also think Audi is the first to realize they're behind and are working on some good stuff.

I love my a7, but just wondering., I feel like that's not a topic people like to talk about. I don't know how I'd feel about a giant touchscreen... But that makes me feel like someone who held on to a blackberry like a dumb dumb.
I have driven the Tesla of a friend. I was very impressed with the car. However, for me the biggest issue with the Tesla is the limited range. I do a lot of 8-10 hour trips (Toronto-Boston, Toronto-NYC, Toronto-Chicago etc.) and I can do most of those in my A7 TDI without a midway refueling stop. I also do a Toronto-Florida trip every once in a while which is 2 times 12 hours with a motel stop.

Even if I need to stop to refuel, it is only an extra 10 minutes. The Tesla simply isn't suitable for long trips.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The P85D is a torque monster. That said .... I can't think of a more boring drive. Just soulless. I need SOUND.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:36 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

How is the ride quality? Im def not a fan of the the lower dash and between the seats. Seems unfinished and cheap in that area.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at a bunch of cars, but in the end it came down to the 85D or the RS7.

I chose the RS7 because I liked the way it feels when you drive it. I also think it's better looking, and it has a fair bit more space. And while the Tesla is great for updates and 'cool' features, the Audi is just more car. For me anyways.

They're both great machines.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was contemplating A7/S7 or the 85D.. Quite frankly the seats etc of the Tesla 85D are very ordinary.. The Audi's are way more luxurious! The perf on the Tesla's are amazing due to the instant torque..But of these 3 - A7 felt a little more VFM ;-)
Old 12-26-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the P85 as soon as they put a supercharger at University of Illinois. Both of my kids may be there next year. Wouldn't mind a console and front seats redesign, too.
While the start/stop A7 feature is OK, it is not alway active. I detest sitting at a 2 minute light idling exhaust simply to keep the LEDs on. I like sound, but prefer the sound of hi-fidelity audio versus the sound of fuel consumption.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Tesla is a great car and has moved electric cars forward in a big way. I went back and forth between a P85D and an A7 or S7 or RS7. In the end i picked the 2016 A7. My 3 former cars being a 2010 E63, 2012 E63 and 2014 A7. I decided to get an A7 again over the RS7 as the power are not usable in the States. As much as i wanted the Tesla i could not justify the 50 grand premium over the A7. I am sure it will save me money on gas but i have to pay to play. Another thing i couldn't forgive were the seats in the Tesla. That for me was the single worst part, They are just very chevy. Also apart from the beautiful 17 inch screen, the cabin is very low tech. I am not putting the Tesla it just cost too much to have so many cheap bits. We are talking S550 money people. So if you wanted a car that will give you the look and feel of a great car pick any of the 7's. If you want the very best electric car money can buy then get the Tesla.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Totally agree with allaboutA7.. the seats in the Tesla were the single biggest reason for me to walk away from it. The 17" screen is beautiful..otherwise felt a bit plasticy.
The S7/RS7 more than make up for the perf quotient but is also 15-30K more expensive than the A7. So A7 felt like the best of all worlds
Old 12-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I own both

I have a 2012 A7 and a Tesla S85. The Tesla is a wonderful machine. Really wonderful. However, if you are very frequently driving more than 250 miles or so, you should consider whether having to use Tesla superchargers will affect your satisfaction.

We have made some trips that required supercharging and it's fine, but you must plan in advance and be prepared... a different experience from driving a gasoline powered car.

In some ways, the cars are quite similar (sedans, hatchbacks, lots of space etc.) Whichever you choose, you will have a fine machine.

Quick Reply: 2016 a7 or tesla 70d?