A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 Audi Connect

Old 08-09-2015, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui19
MY 2016 doesn't require a PIN to use those functions--only when downloading online destinations.
Interesting. Ill take a look today and see if I'm prompted for the pin.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gema7
I agree, neither of those scenarios is the actual issue. But when audi owners question this as an issue, there should be a solid answer. There should be no discrepancy between wether this is a software change/security feature, a sim card issue, or a non-existent issue at all (What my SA told me). Im probably a month and a half to two months into my free subscription. I believe it is a three month trial over all. Now having to enter a pin each time doesn't disable the functionality of the system but it still does cripple functionality. I, and what I believe to be most in this thread, will not exert the time and or effort into entering a pin each and every start-up because it doesn't make logical sense, and for me, isn't economical time wise. Now maybe I'm being a stickler, but if there is a feature that cripples functionality I not only expect for that feature to be altered but also expect to be compensated in some fashion. I agree that the pin requirement should be reversed, but if its reversed when I'm out of trial then that defeats the purpose of the trial. Had this feature been one included in existing audi models, I would have nothing to say or complain about but thats not the case. I don't expect to have to deal with annoying functions after paying this price point for a vehicle. I also don't believe anyone in here would want to continue paying for the audi connect service if this "feature" persists. Anyway, those are my 2 cents. I will now step off my soap box
It occurred to me that maybe I should share I'm a fairly young guy and this is my first audi. One of the things that attracted me most to the A7, other than the aesthetics, was what the MMI system offered functionality wise in comparison to its competitors. So maybe this ordeal strikes a larger chord for me than you seasoned audi owners.
Gema7, you should make no apologies for your frustration and concerns, they are shared by MANY Audi owners over this issue. I too am a young guy, this is not my first Audi, and when you invest the kind of money that is required for a purchase of this kind the technology should work, period, end of story. I'm referencing both the PIN re-entry and the fact that the street addresses from an imported entry seem to never load the street number correctly either, as noted in other posts.

As I pointed out previously the "explanation" that re-entering the PIN is a security feature is total BS, as there is no security preventing any driver from seeing where your home address is, for example. Even in my old Acuras from 5+ years ago they incorporated this security feature. I thought it was unnecessary and overkill, but I did understand that there was an extremely remote possibility that a valet somewhere might be part of a crime ring that would rob your home while you were out at dinner. Absent that kind of security for the overall destinations saved into the MMI of your A7 (or A6 in my case), the requirement to re-enter the PIN every time you access your online destinations serves no practical purpose except to annoy the Audi customers who use one of their most valuable and unique features of their technology on a regular basis. Even if Audi THINKS they installed it as a security feature, which is a very flimsy claim upon close examination, the net result provides no useful security and hampers the functionality of the technology.

That's my .02, your mileage may vary.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

So where do we go from here? Where do we express these concerns. I'd like to get a consensus here on the forums so we act rather than letting this thread die and in turn getting us nowhere.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gema7
So where do we go from here? Where do we express these concerns. I'd like to get a consensus here on the forums so we act rather than letting this thread die and in turn getting us nowhere.
You can write a letter or call AOA but Audi will likely continue to march to it's own drummer at the pace they decide. They may eventually change thus and other annoyances through a software update (if you can get a dealer to install it under warranty) but don't expect them to do so as a result of this thread. Assuming they even read it which is doubtful.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I got my 2016 A7 back from the dealer after the first oil change today. I had reported this pin issue - they looked into and they've said that Audi is aware of this issue and are working on a MMI software update with the fix for this. They acknowledged that it is indeed a problem and that having to enter the pin each time is not the way it's supposed to work.

There is hope.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After reading this thread ... I need to check mine also. Haven't bothered to use it yet.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my 2016 RS7...sometimes MMI ask me to input the PIN again, but sometimes not and its already logged into the system...weird.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chucky0731
For my 2016 RS7...sometimes MMI ask me to input the PIN again, but sometimes not and its already logged into the system...weird.
Yup, same for me. Mine works probably 90% of the time.