A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Fragile Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16RS7
Did any of you get a replacement windshield through Audi? If so, how much did it cost?
Mine chipped and then cracked halfway across the windshield. I have a HUD which requires a special, expensive, 3-layer windshield. I went to several local shops and all informed me that the HUD windshield is only available as OEM. My insurance covered 100% of the $1,200 replacement.

I expect that the HUD windshield is more fragile than a standard version. Do you other posters have a HUD?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yup, I have the headup .. wow thats some news to me, thanks
Old 05-25-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a crack in my MY2012 3 years ago. It was filled/sealed, and does not appear to have gotten worse. I can still see it, but since it is on the passengers side, I figured I rather put up with this minor annoyance than have the windshield be replaced and potentially leak or get a scratch (which has happened to me in the past). No other chips/cracks have developed.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Chip repairs are 50/50. Some will work and others not. You will usually know within a day or two if it takes, otherwise a crack will develop and it's time for a new windshield.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed about the chip repairs. I've had some repairs done that were so good ... you couldn't see the original chip. I also recently got a small chip on my A7 front glass.

Had the chip people come out and there was no change in the appearance of the chip, but I was assured that the chip was sealed. 6 months later and the chip is still the same size.

Holding my breath since I also have the HUD.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't gotten a chip on the outside of my windshield, but I do have a couple scratched on the inside. I'd imagine a cleaning cloth had some grit in it? I haven't been able to polish them out, so I guess the only alternative is replacement? I've never had a windshield that was so soft
Old 05-27-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfourman
Mine chipped and then cracked halfway across the windshield. I have a HUD which requires a special, expensive, 3-layer windshield. I went to several local shops and all informed me that the HUD windshield is only available as OEM. My insurance covered 100% of the $1,200 replacement.

I expect that the HUD windshield is more fragile than a standard version. Do you other posters have a HUD?
Did you have a deductible to pay?
Old 05-27-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by craignhp
I haven't gotten a chip on the outside of my windshield, but I do have a couple scratched on the inside. I'd imagine a cleaning cloth had some grit in it? I haven't been able to polish them out, so I guess the only alternative is replacement? I've never had a windshield that was so soft
I wouldn't use anything that's abrasive. It will only make it worse.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2016 A7 has a small tiny chip but it was repaired last year but my brothers 2014 Audi A6 has a huge crack on the top left corner from a rock so its not uncommon unfortunately. We also had a 2012 Ml350 that had cracked windshield twice in the 3 year lease.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by craignhp
Could it have been someone with a ring wiping condensation off the windshield? My old car has scratches in the drivers door tint... not pointing any fingers but I don't wear diamonds. Being an electrician, only wore a wedding ring for social occasions.

Take the car to a glass shop before replacing the window. They should be able to polish scratches out.

Quick Reply: A7 Fragile Windshield