A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 Phone Book vs Phone Book

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Phone Book vs Phone Book

Ok... I gave back my S5 a few weeks ago and picked up my A7. Both awesome rides but different species. Love the A7 and all the new technology. One thing I cant figure out yet.... I have an iPhone which downloads to the MMI no issue - BUT... since I have a few thousand contacts, when I go to the directory I have to deal with searching or scrolling through ALL of them. My old S5 had an additional VEHICLE PHONEBOOK where I could seperately store frequently called numbers etc. Can I do that in the A7 system??? How??
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

bump...

I'd like to know about this too as I just noticed this on my new A7 vs my 2005 A6.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The MMI Nav Plus has a separate "Directory" where you can import the phone's contacts as desired or enter it manually. By having the contacts in the car's directory, they can also be used for destination navigation (assuming an address is present). Also note, there is a "Find" option for the bluetooth connected phone's contact list and a fast scroll feature that allows you to get to one of hundreds very quickly. Finally, the Voice command recognition can pull up a contact and dial it for you.

It's all in the manual.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The MMI Nav Plus has a separate "Directory" where you can import the phone's contacts as desired or enter it manually. By having the contacts in the car's directory, they can also be used for destination navigation (assuming an address is present). Also note, there is a "Find" option for the bluetooth connected phone's contact list and a fast scroll feature that allows you to get to one of hundreds very quickly. Finally, the Voice command recognition can pull up a contact and dial it for you.

It's all in the manual.
The MANUAL??? You expect us to read the MANUAL? (jk)

In all seriousness, thanks. I'll have to figure out how to manually import my 100 most important contacts. Right now, it imports my iphone and for whatever reason, NEVER imports my wife or my most frequent called numbers (which strikes me as odd - they're all over the place in the directory). It worked when I first got the car, but now it never does. Henceforth, I can't use voice command... extremely frustrating
Old 06-26-2014, 07:37 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

I imported contacts from an SD card and those have been replaced by my 1000 contact phone directory. Seems like it imports the phone every time and overwrites the SD card I imported.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Also, when it imports the phone's directory, the first 15 entries on the MMI are empty/blank. you have to scroll way down to see the first entry.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I spent some time last night on this. My iphone has about 4,000 contacts, so only the first 2,000 (apparently by last name) get input. My last name (and my family's), not to mention many of my co-workers' last names that I call frequently are after N in the alphabet - so they never appeared.

I downloaded a bunch of .vcf files to an SD card and imported those into the directory and then re-imported my iphone directory. Looks like everything worked and I have those 15 or so contacts always there.

A couple of questions (that I couldn't find in the manual):

1) I bought my car "new", but it really was a demo with 5K miles and it has 3 other phone directories in the memory (I can't access them, but they show up). Is there anyway to delete those?

2) Do the new versions of MMI (I don't know my version, but hasn't been upgraded I'd bet in at least a year) allow more than 2,000 directory entries from a phone?

3) Is there a way to have "favorites" that appear at the top of the directory, rather than last name first, or first name last?