A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebeam
I now have 10,000 miles on my A7 and the tire pressure experience has truly surprised me. The car came from the dealer at 38/41. Since I usually drive alone, I insisted on setting to the lower number after a couple thousand miles. The ride was mushy and way too soft--cornering was terrible. I went back to 38/41 thinking the ride would be too firm with pavement jolts. Instead, noise really wasn't increased and the firmer ride caused zero discomfort, almost unnoticeable.

I would never go back to the lower numbers. My experience was been consistent with two sets of tires. The Goodyear LS2s I switched out at 4,000 miles, and the far better Yokohoma Advan Sport A/S that are truly deserving of this great car. Cornering and the fun factor was back, especially with the Yokos.

Hope others will test comparing tire pressures out for themselves. It was really clear how much better the car performs with the higher numbers.

By the way, I drive on 19" tires precisely because I didn't want too firm a ride with the kids in back at times.
Your experience is exactly the opposite of mine. Mine road like sh*t at the higher pressures. At near the lower pressures it rides a lot better and handles just fine. But the ride is still very choppy and giggly over washboard concrete roads.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkie6
I swear, the dealer that does my work never checks the pressure, after they rotated the tires the fronts at were now 41 and rear 38. Thanks for being a pro Audi of Erie...
I cannot imagine trusting a dealer to set tire pressure. It's too damn important. Hell, letting the car sit in noonday sun, the tires facing the sun are several pounds higher than the other side. IMHO, if you own an A7, you need to buy a track quality gauge with bleeder valve. I am sure the stealer ships give the tire rotation jobs to brain dead washer jocks, with gauges dropped more times than Elizabeth Taylor.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a7ubercoupe
totally agree beam, ran max #s on OEM 19" Goodyears and now on 20" Conti DWS. Great ride, better mpg
I agree as well. But it depends on the tire and driver. 20" P Zeros and DWs are weird at the comfort setting, but crisp at the max. 19" procontacts, to me, handle best at 2-3 psi above comfort. I have never used comfort settings. Would have bought a Lexus if I wanted comfort.

From this thread, it seems most do not understand the comfort/reduced load and max load pillar tire settings. Audi and all manufacturers used to have reduced load and full load settings on the pillar or gas flap. Then a bunch of idiot Ford Explorer drivers would leave the TP on comfort/lower, and fill the SUV with four big guys, 50 cases of beer, 10 bags of ice and 200 cans of spam. And then drive for hours at 75 miles an hour. The crummy Oem firestones disintegrated. Many died. Bunch of law suits blaming the manufacturer for mentioning the comfort setting. So now, all manufacturers ONLY put the max load psi on the b pillar. I am a bit shocked that Audi even puts a reduced load setting in the owners manual.

TPs are not gospel. They are starting points. Most real allroad (a6) drivers found the audi recommendations horrible and unuseable. Massive under steer. But so easy to fix. And the only damn performance change that does not cost a red cent. Why bother having an A7 if you don't play with it?
Old 05-08-2015, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I put Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tire and it tightens up the car and makes it far superior in handling and ride over the standard continentals. The continentals would feel sloppy numb like marshmallows and with higher pressure it would feel like crap as jjsc said earlier.

However, with the Michelins the best pressure is 38F/41R. Yeah I know! Surprising to me but it varies on the tires and for sure Michelins are super smooth and crisp with very minimal body roll and stiff steering at these pressure. The ride is so comfortable yet sporty without compromise unlike my Lexus GS F-sport.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
TPs are not gospel. They are starting points. Most real allroad (a6) drivers found the audi recommendations horrible and unuseable. Massive under steer. But so easy to fix. And the only damn performance change that does not cost a red cent. Why bother having an A7 if you don't play with it?
Spot on WWBeagle! except to me the definition of gospel = feel good statements of ambiguity; as in "feel good, now give me your money"
Old 07-01-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I when I purchase a used 2012 A7 the dealer (not an Audi dealer) put pirrelli cintuato p7s on the car. Bought discount tire warranty certificate with lifetime balance and rotation. The always set 38 for 41 rear. Rides fine