A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

ACC and Audi Braking Guard: Unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACC and Audi Braking Guard: Unavailable

Hi Guys, just picked up my A7 a few days ago. Got an issue with the adaptive cruise control. Despite doing my research and cleaning up the sensors, the problem still persists. Unfortunately, the car is not a CPO and the lemon laws don't apply here. I did have the front bumper and hood repainted and front grill replaced, but I believe the sensors were put back in place correctly. Perhaps the front grill is the culprit here?

See pictures below. Any insights would be appreciated!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t8280
Hi Guys, just picked up my A7 a few days ago. Got an issue with the adaptive cruise control. Despite doing my research and cleaning up the sensors, the problem still persists. Unfortunately, the car is not a CPO and the lemon laws don't apply here. I did have the front bumper and hood repainted and front grill replaced, but I believe the sensors were put back in place correctly. Perhaps the front grill is the culprit here?

See pictures below. Any insights would be appreciated!

What year is it? I had the same thing going on with a '14...it would give the same message. Took into the dealer and they ran diagnostics but could find no fault...happened maybe 6 or so times. They told me to keep the lens clean (it always was when it occurred).

Have a '16 now and so far so good - no issues. It could be the bumper and sensor installation. The grill looks great - where did you get it?
Z
Old 06-26-2015, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Z, it's a 2012. So when you had your '14, did the issue ever go away at all, or did you decide to cope with it?

Got the grill from http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-2014-2015-AUDi-A7-with-NIGHT-VISION-ONLY-MESH-RS7-Type-Grille-BLACK-/201367866307?hash=item2ee275cbc3&vxp=mtr. Didn't do the installation myself; I asked one of the service guys to install it for me.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Z, it's a 2012. So when you had your '14, did the issue ever go away at all, or did you decide to cope with it?

Got the grill from eBay. Didn't do the installation myself; I asked one of the service guys to install it for me.
I just coped with it; it wasn't chronic, just a bit annoying...only happened several times over about a year, so wasn't serious at all. I don't do a lot of highway driving & using cruise, so I didn't think it was a biggie.
Z
Old 06-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '12 and got this once and dealer took care of it - I think it was cleaning up the sensors..

Shouldnt you be able to take it to the shop that fixed the bumper/grill - that must be the issue I would think..
Old 06-28-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had this same issue; took it to the dealer and they had to re-align the sensors. It was pretty pricey from what I understand, but it was covered under warranty for me. I may have had the same issue, Mine was CPO-ed so they may have taken off the bumper for a re-spray, causing the sensor alignment to go out of whack.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

FYI, I had this same error message pop up the other day, for a different reason (than the ACC sensors) I believe. I just got some new brake pads, and went out for a few freeway hard-braking runs to bed-in the new pads. After the pads were well-heated, during my cool-off cruise I turned on the ACC and got the error message. It went away after a few minutes of cooling. I'm guessing it was a brake temperature thing, but not sure what sensors are there (anybody know?). (I know the new pads had a sensor but I think those measure pad wear.)
Old 07-13-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, Guys! Finally brought the car to an Audi dealership to have the issue checked. They ran a computer check and found no issues. I told them the front bumper was removed for a paint job, so I pulled it out to make sure the wires were connected properly. You're not going to believe this, but it turned out one of the wires was not plugged in correctly. Unbelievable! I have since emailed the body shop and asked them to pay for the repair.

The service person at Audi did mention the issue could be caused by the sensors becoming out of alignment after a front bumper removal. The sensors would then need to be aligned in sync with the wheels. Another possible solution is to have an Audi dealership run a re-calibration through their equipment.

Cars are just too high-tech these days, and there are just fewer DIY fixes.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

The service person at Audi did mention the issue could be caused by the sensors becoming out of alignment after a front bumper removal. The sensors would then need to be aligned in sync with the wheels. Another possible solution is to have an Audi dealership run a re-calibration through their equipment.
A member from another thread said the re-calibration/re-alignment from the dealer will cost $1,000...just FYI.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Interesting. The dealership here quoted $390 for the wheel alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Audi A7 punch (02-09-2021)

Quick Reply: ACC and Audi Braking Guard: Unavailable