A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Age, Location and why A7

Old 05-05-2012, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs427
My first post to this forum!

40, Seattle, took delivery of my 2012 A7 Prestige, Phatom Black Pearl w/cold weather pkg and side assist this past Sunday.

I have never owned an Audi, much less a luxury car. Previous cars have been Japanese models (Subaru hatchback, Toyota Camry and most recently a Highlander Hybrid) so spending this much on a brand new car is a guilty pleasure that I treated myself to when hitting the big 4-0.

The car just spoke to me. I was initially interested in an S5 given its exterior looks and performance, but with two kids (8 and 6), the S5 just wasn't as practical. I wanted a car that, like previous cars, I would own for 10+ years and have it fit my lifestyle and all uses.

The A7 seemed to fit all needs -- aesthetically similar to the S5, it also had modes to give it more performance handling. There are faster cars with more horsepower, but I'm not drag racer -- I wanted a car with excellent performance that could be sporty and quick. A7 checks that box perfectly, and even better, has some degree of personalization in the Individual mode.

I also am at a point in my life where I want a little luxury. I never spend money on myself, and I've never been into flashy appearance or status. But I am at a point in my life and career where I've been lucky to achieve some degree of success and disposable income. It's a huge treat, but a treat indeed to wrap myself in a sumptuous interior that oozes class. I actually get uncomfortable sometimes that the car draws lookers, or even how I'm perceived driving such an expensive car. But that is way out-trumped by the sheer luxury and how this car makes me feel when I'm driving it.

The car is incredibly versatile. If I had 3 kids, or if I didn't have another car that was a 7-seater, I would feel totally different, but this can take my entire family in to the park, my wife on an upscale date night, or another couple and us for a night on the town. The cargo space is superb and another reason why the car is so adaptable to my lifestyle. Add to that the all-wheel capability in a rainy and slick part of the country, and it all makes even more sense.

And finally, the technology. I did not opt for the innovation package -- the HUD, night time vision, and other features are very cool, and likely help the car retain a little more resale value. But there is far more bells and whistles on the Prestige model than I've ever had in a car, and I can do without further distractions and things to play with. This car is chock-full of incredible technology, and the Google Earth and Connect

Love having this car, and reading this forum went a long way to helping me decide this car was the one for me. Every time I see it in the garage, my heart skips a beat.
Welcome, I can relate to your experience. Exact reasons I purchased my 1st Audi 13 yrs ago.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

56 - Washington DC area - M -- About to order an A7 for European delivery in August (flights and hotels already booked).

This will be my 5th Audi -- have had an A6 with the 4.2 V8, two A8Ls, and the current -- and best yet -- S5, which is simply awesome in every way.

Why an A7?

Just look at it.

Stunningly beautiful.

And then there's the way it drives and its many features -- especially its advanced technology offerings. Mine will be the Prestige version with the Innovation, full LED headlight, sport and cold weather packages. Will probably go with the 19" wheels, but am thinking about the 20s. And it will have that overpriced B & O sound system -- I'm often stuck in DC traffic and it will provide a small measure of relief.

Sure will miss the S5, though. It's been terrific.

But I'm looking forward to getting that A7 out on the Autobahn -- had a blast with the S5 when I picked it up in Ingolstadt and got it out on those great roads.

And the A7 is one of those rare cars that appeals to and fits people of all ages.

Again, though -- just look at it. It's like driving a work of art -- a rare sculpture masterwork.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gmunford@b-m-d.com
About to pull a7 trigger. But may hold out for s7. Why the 7? For, me its the perfect car. Amazing but not flashy looks. Fast, responsive, tight, quick reponses but also smooth and luxurious. My greatest car was a 2001 jag xjr. All above applied. But wild fishtail in snow plus famous jag unreliability meant it had to go. Felt like million bucks every time i drove my jag. Hour ntest drive in a7 showed me its right there . And more: quattro, technology, etc. and if i do hold out for s7' blazing speed & v8 hummmmm. Car like that makes turning 60 seem not so bad!
I'm trading my 2000 XJ8 VDP SC (like a big XJR) for the A7, and I can definitely relate. While the Jag has been pretty reliable, it's 12 years old and things are starting to go on it. The Jag is by far the fastest car I've owned, and I love driving it, but having gotten stuck in snow, and not having enough room in the trunk, I'm really looking forward to AWD and the hatchback. While the Jag is a tad quicker than the A7, I found the A7 quick enough, and I'm looking forward to fewer trips to the gas station!

The truck carrying my A7 should arrive at the dealership tomorrow and I'll pick it up Thursday.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audi-X2
56 - Washington DC area - M -- About to order an A7 for European delivery in August (flights and hotels already booked).

This will be my 5th Audi -- have had an A6 with the 4.2 V8, two A8Ls, and the current -- and best yet -- S5, which is simply awesome in every way.

Why an A7?

Just look at it.

Stunningly beautiful.

And then there's the way it drives and its many features -- especially its advanced technology offerings. Mine will be the Prestige version with the Innovation, full LED headlight, sport and cold weather packages. Will probably go with the 19" wheels, but am thinking about the 20s. And it will have that overpriced B & O sound system -- I'm often stuck in DC traffic and it will provide a small measure of relief.

Sure will miss the S5, though. It's been terrific.

But I'm looking forward to getting that A7 out on the Autobahn -- had a blast with the S5 when I picked it up in Ingolstadt and got it out on those great roads.

And the A7 is one of those rare cars that appeals to and fits people of all ages.

Again, though -- just look at it. It's like driving a work of art -- a rare sculpture masterwork.
Hello,
Congrats! on your A7 and ED. I am shopping for A7 prestige, 20" sport, CW, innovation and also in the DC area. This will be my first Audi and you are right about the looks it's a stunning car and I have had some nice cars like Aston Martin etc, I am very impressed by the A7.

I have some questions for you in regards to ED?

1) I have done ED on BMW's before never with Audi and I am thinking about doing ED with the A7...Do you mind sharing which dealer you are working with in the DC area. Since it's my first Audi I am dealer agnostic and some dealers I spoke with are not even willing to do ED.

2) Would you mind sharing the price you paid (or range) and are Audi dealers willing to negotiate from European Invoice and where do you get that info (with BMW I was able to do European invoice)?

I am 41 and in the DC (NOVA) area. I think Audi A7 is a stunning looking car, technology and the drive is superb. In my opinion Audi did a amazing job in integrating Art, Science and Technology all together to build a amazing product like A7.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Amir
Old 05-05-2012, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Leo41
Hello,
Congrats! on your A7 and ED. I am shopping for A7 prestige, 20" sport, CW, innovation and also in the DC area. This will be my first Audi and you are right about the looks it's a stunning car and I have had some nice cars like Aston Martin etc, I am very impressed by the A7.

I have some questions for you in regards to ED?

1) I have done ED on BMW's before never with Audi and I am thinking about doing ED with the A7...Do you mind sharing which dealer you are working with in the DC area. Since it's my first Audi I am dealer agnostic and some dealers I spoke with are not even willing to do ED.

2) Would you mind sharing the price you paid (or range) and are Audi dealers willing to negotiate from European Invoice and where do you get that info (with BMW I was able to do European invoice)?

I am 41 and in the DC (NOVA) area. I think Audi A7 is a stunning looking car, technology and the drive is superb. In my opinion Audi did a amazing job in integrating Art, Science and Technology all together to build a amazing product like A7.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Amir
I'm just beginning to work with dealers in the DC area, and Audi of Rockville said they would do ED. We'll see. If not, there is a dealer in PA where I lived when I got the S5 who will do it.

As for deals, well, that is going to be hard to get. The car is hot, and about all a dealer will do is the 5% ED discount off the US invoice. Why would you do the European invoice?

There is a guy named Gary with Audi USA in Virginia who handles ED -- and he's great. I worked with him on my last ED and he was right on top of everything. He will be more important than the dealer.

You're right about the A7 -- it's the perfect integration of art, science and technology. Audi simply nailed it with this car. They did, however, cheat themselves out of an A8 sale. I would have gone for the A8 if it had the beauty and presence of the A7.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

28, M, Atlanta and picked the car up 2 days ago.
Black/Nougat Prestige
20" Wheels
Cold Weather
Side Assist

Always owned BMW's but nothing compared in their line of cars and I'm not excited about the direction of their cars especially the 6 series GrandCoupe. I compared the Panamera to the A7 and many other cars but to be honest the A7 is the only sedan that has excited me.

As many of you have mentioned the practicality and lines of this car are unmatched and even in Atlanta you don't see many on the road. It's nice to be unique again.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi of Rockville won't do European Delivery.

They even had the audacity to say the program has been suspended due to tax and customs issues. Liars.

Audi of Silver Spring -- or Tischer Audi -- will happily help with ED and is experienced with it. That's who will be getting my order.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audi-X2
Audi of Rockville won't do European Delivery.

They even had the audacity to say the program has been suspended due to tax and customs issues. Liars.

Audi of Silver Spring -- or Tischer Audi -- will happily help with ED and is experienced with it. That's who will be getting my order.
Thanks for the info. I did not had a good experience with Audi of Rockville either.

Have you gone through with your order yet? Do you have any feedback on Audi of Chantilly or Tysons? Good luck with your order I have done it in the past with BMW and ED experience is just amazing!

Thanks,

Amir
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Leo41
Do you have any feedback on Audi of Chantilly or Tysons?
I didn't do ED but I got mine from Audi of Chantilly and they were great to work with.

The sales staff in Tysons really annoyed us when they didn't want to show us an A8L 30 minutes before they closed and Alexandria weren't much better but Chantilly was great about letting us take our time looking at everything from the A4 through the R8 before eventually deciding on the A7. The others felt like dealing with the stereotypical used car salesman and not what I'd expect when shopping in this price range.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ordered my S7 today at Audi of Silver Spring, MD.

Worked with Tom Schweiss -- he made everything easy.

Didn't bother with any other dealers -- I preferred to stay with the MD dealers, and I contacted all within about an hour or so of my home. Most weren't that great about getting back to me, but Tom made the extra effort and was very helpful.

Will meet my A7 in Ingolstadt in mid-August. Good thing I ordered today -- the car has become very popular and production is already being scheduled for July.

Here are the details:

Prestige
Havana Black with Nougat interior (black headliner and shelf liner)
Innovation Package
Full LED headlights
19" Sport Package
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
Cold Weather Package
Ash Wood

The cool LED headlights have been removed from the Innovation Package for 2013 -- replaced by corner cameras. So, now the neat headlights must be ordered separately.

The test drive was terrific. The car is so silky smooth and yet incredibly powerful. It feels as quick as my S5 (I know the A7 is just a tad slower on the spec sheet, but on the road it feels every bit as quick). All the new high-tech gadgets will keep me entertained for years. One item may be a bit awkward -- the Audi Drive Select controls are no longer buttons on the dash. In the A7 Drive Select is controlled by the MMI. I'm not sure I'm going to like that. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Otherwise, the car is simply amazing. I thought I was going to miss my fantastic S5 when I go to the A7, but after that test drive I can't wait for the A7 to arrive and the S5 to go away.

Simply brilliant. What a stunning car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Age, Location and why A7