A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi A7 vs. Porsche Macan

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A7 vs. Porsche Macan

My A7 lease is ending soon, and I am trying to decide what my next car will be. I recently test drove a Porsche Macan and here is my comparison review. (OK, I realize these 2 cars are not direct competitors so no need to point that out to me.)

Cars: 2013 Audi A7, Premium Plus, 19" wheels with AS tires, side assist, cold weather package. 2016 Porsche Macan with 20" wheels with AS tires, PASM, Premium Plus, Infotainment, Heating Steering, Bose.

Exterior Looks: I think the A7 and Macan are the best looking cars in their respective classifications. Is the A7 better looking? Absolutely yes!

Interior: Both are nice - the Audi simplifying the console with MMI, Porsche using a million buttons to make it look "sporty." I think the Macan has one of the nicest Porsche interiors to date. The one clear advantage of the Macan are the 14 way seats which are much more comfortable than the A7. Back seat of the A7 is roomier.

Engine: 2 great engines, but I like the supercharged 3.0 better. The Porsche 3.0 turbo may be up on horsepower, however, the Audi seems to have more usable low RPM torque for everyday driving. The Porsche also has a bit of turbo lag. However, I can see where the Macan may be more "fun" to drive quickly due to the turbo kick and abrupt gear changes with the PDK in Sport+ mode.

Handling: I was surprised on how well the 20" wheels on the Macan with the PASM (but no air suspension) handled rough roads. The Macan sits lower than other SUV types, and is quite fun to drive. The A7 seems to be a better highway cruiser being more of a grand touring car. I was surprised how light the steering felt on the Macan, but the rear biased AWD was sportier. I did notice the higher center of gravity on the Macan.

Brakes: Never did like the somewhat mushy brakes on the A7, however, stopping power has always been great. The Macan is not going to brake like a 911, however, it is more direct and linear than the Audi.

Utility: I absolutely love the utility of my A7 which is best in class. The Macan may be worst in class (for SUV types), however, I would need to do my "golf club test" to see which hatch I like better.

Technology: Unfortunately I did not have time to play around with the tech on the Macan, however, I assume both are similar being VAG cars (however, I could be wrong).

Cost: Surprising similar when looking at similar builds. I understand Porsche is less likely to discount since the Macan is their most popular car and they have an order backlog.

Misc: The A7 is the clear winner in gas mileage. The Macan is somewhat more rare being just introduced last year. The Porsche marque has more cachet if you care about these things. I can't wait for the updated A7 to come out.

Last edited by looking@audi; 07-20-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
My A7 lease is ending soon, and I am trying to decide what my next car will be. I recently test drove a Porsche Macan and here is my comparison review. (OK, I realize these 2 cars are not direct competitors so no need to point that out to me.)
I did the same thing. Have had 2 P-cars previously, a Cayman S & a 911; replaced the former with an A7, then an S6. Took a look at the Macan, totally different car and smaller; thought about 30 secs and went to the '16 A7, which I don't regret.

The SUV P-car is, in my opinion, sort of a bastardized 911. If you're hard over on an SUV, look at the Q5 - pretty much identical, in fact, the P-car dealer told me that; plus it's much less expensive. Just doesn't have the egocentric P O R S C H E on the rear end.

But go with whatever flips you switch!
Z
Old 07-21-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zekeman
The SUV P-car is, in my opinion, sort of a bastardized 911.
The Macan has nothing to do with the 911 at all. It's a small CUV - not a 2 seat sports car.

Additionally, very different from the Q5 despite starting with the same platform. Porsche totally reworked just about everything.

Last edited by looking@audi; 07-21-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Macan has nothing to do with the 911 at all. It's a small CUV - not a 2 seat sports car.

Additionally, very different from the Q5 despite starting with the same platform. Porsche totally reworked just about everything.
Yeah, that was probably an unfair comparison to the 911. The Panamera is the bastardized 911, particularly looking at it from the rear. I realized the Macan is a CUV and isn't a 2 seat sports car; I personally feel Porsche should stick with sport cars since that's where they built their legend. Guess the next thing they will come out with is a van.

I also realize the Macan is different than a Q5 and that they reworked everything and significantly increased the cost. I just think you can get a pretty damn nice CUV with a Q5 for less $$ if you're willing to sacrifice the Porsche label. But that's up to the person with the checkbook.
Z
Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

It depends on what you are looking for. If you need the space of an SUV but want something that is more like a sports car to drive then the Macan is a great choice. The Q5 is a very nice SUV, but it can't be compared to the Macan in any performance category.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd be interested in knowing what A7 owners replaced their car with (or were thinking of replacing it with)?

After all, the A7 is a tough act to follow.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in knowing what A7 owners replaced their car with (or were thinking of replacing it with)?

When my 2016 A7 terms are up in 3 years, I will probably be getting a Maserati Quattroporte. Here is my car history

Honda Civic
VW Jetta
Lexus RX
Lexus GX
MB E350
Audi A7
???????
Old 07-24-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at both cars myself. I went 16' A7. Porsche, specifically the macan and cayenne, are all over in Texas. Especially in Fort Worth where I recently lived for undergrad. I just think the form factor of the A7 is beautiful and unique. The macan is in all honesty just another midsized suv with Porsche badging. Matter of fact, in Fort Worth, the macan was on back-order for months. I guess I like being a dime a dozen.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

from A7 to S7 - tough act to follow indeed:
The gorgeous design, the spacious trunk, the drive dynamics, both a great highway cruiser and a great runabout town DD. Endless compliments from passers-by and friends. Overall a great value in terms of price with options.

Before lease end on the A7, considered the Macan and Panamera, CLS and GC. All of these, esp Porsche really do nickel and dime you to death for every single little add ons (options), inflating ownership or leasing costs tremendously. I had a Q5 for 3 years before the A7, and I found the Macan to be somewhat similar, with a smaller truck albeit more power and better drive dynamics, but over priced when similarly equipped.

Ended up back with Audi and the same shape and form - the S7. Love the extra hp, sound and esp adaptive air suspension as well as comfort contoured seats with massage features. Got a massive discount for a brand new 2014 with every single available option and package (except B&O), thus representing great value compared to all the rest.

Still turns around to look at it whenever I park and walk away. And occasionally followed up with compliments from strangers.

Hope this help...tough act to follow indeed!

Last edited by ben_aip; 07-24-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ben_aip
from A7 to S7 - tough act to follow indeed:
Thank you for your thoughts. The S simply provides more to love!

Quick Reply: Audi A7 vs. Porsche Macan