A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi A7 window tinting gotchas to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A7 window tinting gotchas to avoid

Picked up my 2013 CPO Prestige A7 a few days. Phantom Black with black interior.

Windows are not tinted. I live in houston texas, for now and want to get the car windows tinted (all of them).

I found a reputable shop here in houston.

Are there any gotchas i need to be aware of before i pull the trigger?

Any thoughts on the tint grade i should obtain (i know this is all subjective)

Also what if i move to another state. Is it possible that my tint grade percentage is to dark for another state? would i have to get my tints removed?
Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Delray Beach FL, similar weather that you experience. I didn't want to look like a CIA or FBI operative, as most folks here use a very dark tint. I wanted a more conservative approach, so i choose something very close to OEM, except it's ceramic, so it keeps the heat transfer down to a minimum and I don't look like a thug.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your car is registered in an area that it is legal for window tint no you cannot get a ticket or in trouble. Frameless windows are the easiest to tint, so they should be able to handle it no problem i wouldnt worry.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by robismyname
..what if i move to another state. Is it possible that my tint grade percentage is to dark for another state? would i have to get my tints removed?
Yes, it's possible if the new state you are registering in requires the tint be checked as part of the periodic inspections and yours is too dark. When I first moved to MA, my tint was darker than legal and I couldn't pass the inspection until I found a shop that seems to get by without checking the tint percentage. I have no idea how he gets away with it for the last 10 years as the fine for an inspection shop passing a car that fails in any way is pretty stiff in MA and they can lose their license.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, it's possible if the new state you are registering in requires the tint be checked as part of the periodic inspections and yours is too dark. When I first moved to MA, my tint was darker than legal and I couldn't pass the inspection until I found a shop that seems to get by without checking the tint percentage. I have no idea how he gets away with it for the last 10 years as the fine for an inspection shop passing a car that fails in any way is pretty stiff in MA and they can lose their license.
Agree; even though your tint may be illegal in a state and even though you might be able to find a shop that ignores the requirements and will pass your inspection, it will still give the cops a reason to pull you over. I work with a bunch of retired cops and generally speaking they ignored the tint levels since they had more important things to handle, but all told me that they would sometimes go "carpooning" and pull someone over and write a ticket for tint, if business was slow. Personally, I stay legal and never get them a reason to stop me for that...just not worth the hassle.
Z
Old 01-24-2014, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

So glad to see this topic. I live in Florida but don't want gangsta look. Lighter tint is fine and I need to get educated.

All is know so far is that ceramic is the way to go. Have heard $200-300 is a realistic price range.

Don't know how to seek out a reputable shop. Got some good advice from an Audi expert in the area and he paid over $300. Hoping not to have to go that high.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in Orlando and I got my A7 done for $180. You have to make sure they can handle the curve of the back window. I went for very dark tint. I don't like people to see whats in my car. I have been pulled over a few times but never questioned about tint. Guess speed is a better topic.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

See if your Audi Dealer will do this. I took mine and my wife's Audis to our local SWFL Audi dealer and had them done. The look great, and i believe they used the latest 3m tint.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Most dealers farm out the tint to local shops anyway and usually add an upcharge. Best thing to do is search Google or others like Yelp with "Auto window tint" in your area to see what others recommend based on their experiences.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onthebeam
So glad to see this topic. I live in Florida but don't want gangsta look. Lighter tint is fine and I need to get educated.

All is know so far is that ceramic is the way to go. Have heard $200-300 is a realistic price range.

Don't know how to seek out a reputable shop. Got some good advice from an Audi expert in the area and he paid over $300. Hoping not to have to go that high.
Where are you in FL?. If near West Palm Beach, I can give you a strong recommendation.

Quick Reply: Audi A7 window tinting gotchas to avoid