A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audio muted by backup camera, doesn't always unmute

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio muted by backup camera, doesn't always unmute

Anyone else have this problem?

Intermittently on my 2016 A7 TDI, when I start the car in the garage, then back out of the garage, the 'mute' of the MMI radio audio doesn't restore to its prior level when I pull down the street and continue to drive away. Sometimes it will never come back by itself ... I have to turn the volume back up from 'zero' level with the volume ****. A few times it has eventually unmuted itself ... after driving for 2-3 miles the audio just magically comes back on by itself. Sometimes it unmute the audio as soon as I put it into Drive.

I haven't been able to decipher a reproducible pattern yet ... e.g., does it require starting the car with something close to the front so the proximity 'alert' chimes start going off before I reverse out of the garage, versus backing out of a parking spot in a large parking lot without any obstructions nearby? Just sometimes the audio will unmute itself after I put the car in Drive ... sometimes it won't.

Last edited by dawgcasa; 01-01-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I got a lot of the same kind of weirdness in my 2016 A7. Sometimes (but not always), the radio will turn on by itself when I shift into reverse. Sometimes the radio comes on in full volume, sometimes it comes on at the zero level. I have been paying attention to this for over a year, but I can't discern any pattern either. The system is buggy but I just live with it.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Same thing for me when I have the radio muted and come home and reverse the radio comes back on, so annoying and shouldn't happen. I rarely have the radio or music muted so I don't mind.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an option for volume while reversing in one of the system settings. I haven't done anything with it. I have the same bugs. But, I have not tried changing the setting to not adjust to see if it goes away. I've just gotten used to having to change the volume when the car feels like turning it all the way off when it so chooses.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcasa
Anyone else have this problem?

Intermittently on my 2016 A7 TDI, when I start the car in the garage, then back out of the garage, the 'mute' of the MMI radio audio doesn't restore to its prior level when I pull down the street and continue to drive away. Sometimes it will never come back by itself ... I have to turn the volume back up from 'zero' level with the volume ****. A few times it has eventually unmuted itself ... after driving for 2-3 miles the audio just magically comes back on by itself. Sometimes it unmute the audio as soon as I put it into Drive.

I haven't been able to decipher a reproducible pattern yet ... e.g., does it require starting the car with something close to the front so the proximity 'alert' chimes start going off before I reverse out of the garage, versus backing out of a parking spot in a large parking lot without any obstructions nearby? Just sometimes the audio will unmute itself after I put the car in Drive ... sometimes it won't.
Good news,

There is a fix and the tsb link is below.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=195596
Old 01-20-2017, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Good news,

There is a fix and the tsb link is below.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=195596
According to this TSB there is no fix! The TSB is simply an acknowledgment that this is a known issue and they are working on a solution for it.

Last edited by fkaufman; 01-20-2017 at 03:18 AM.