A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

B&O stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O stereo upgrade

About to order an A7 - can anyone comment on the stereo upgrade - 1300W has got to go through some serious speakers - but my question is it worth it?

All feedback welcome.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

reviews are mixed. totally up to your ears and pocket book.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I have it in my S7 and find it to be an improvement from the Bose in an A7 loaner that I had for about a month before my S7 arrived.

Well worth it to me....
Old 08-09-2016, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Get it, the Blose is horrible.

I wish I had gotten it in my A7, but did order it for my Q7.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree on the Bose being awful. Had that in our 2012 A7. For the 2015 A7 went with the B&O. Its night and day.

However, if your primary listening sources are FM/Sat radio and compressed media player audio I don't think I would spend the coin. To fully experience the B&O you need to have your own music lightly compressed on the Jukebox/SD or via CD/DVD-A
Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
However, if your primary listening sources are FM/Sat radio and compressed media player audio I don't think I would spend the coin. To fully experience the B&O you need to have your own music lightly compressed on the Jukebox/SD or via CD/DVD-A
This is an important point. I bought my A7 with B&O and cancelled sat radio because B&O exposes the ridiculous compression and low quality. I haven't heard the Bose, but I do really like the B&O, especially at medium to high volumes.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I could go back in time. I would skip the BOSE upgrade, get the base speakers and replace them aftermarket. Replacing Bose speakers is harder because of the impedance.

If that sort of thing isn't you then B&O.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

B&O was underwhelming in my past R8. Went with Bose this time and no complaints, but then I am not an audiophile like some of you guys.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sound is very subjective. One sound system can sound good to some ears but bad to others. I recommend that you audition both sound systems and decide whether you would like to shell out extra $$ for the B&O. If you do not appreciate the B&O over the Bose, don't spend the money.

I am an AV systems designer and I am particular with my personal sound system. I, however, an not so gung-ho as to spend thousands of dollars for an uber system, though. But, I will appreciate those kinds of systems if they sound good to me. That said, my S5 is equipped with a B&O system and I like the quality of the high-frequency range. It is much better than regular sound systems and almost comparable to my home set-up. The low-frequency (bass) response is lacking due to the small subwoofer driver. I wish it could have been a tad bit more substantial but I have learned to live with it. I am not big into heavy bass (gone are my days as a Dance DJ) anymore.

As for amplifier power (for the B&O in the A7), it is rated at 1,200 at 1% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). This is over-rated to inflate the power output numbers. This is how boombox manufacturers advertise power output. Some even advertise power output based on 10% THD, which is absurd.

A truer sense of amplifier power output for more serious listening will be rated with a THD of around 0.1 to 0.01%. Most higher-end sound systems are even rated at 0.001% THD! At this THD rating, I estimate the B&O Amp's output to be around 800-watts.

I believe the B&O system in the newer A7 is a 15-channel system. This is based on info from the B&O website. 800-watts divided by 15 is only around 53 watts which is just about right for car speakers.

So, do not be fooled by the massive power output rating of the amp. It is combined power and you don't use all that power at once since music is a very dynamic signal. Most of the time, you'll only use around 1/3 of the rated amplifier or less power during normal use.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

My Q5 has the same B&O as your S5. I find that the B&O is a little warmer and has a fuller mid bass that the Bose in my A7. The Bose is Bass and Treble heavy and not warm and smooth like the B&O. That's why I ordered it for my Q7.

Quick Reply: B&O stereo upgrade