A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Bang Olufsen upgrade - is it worth the $$$$?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muski

b) the source makes a HUGE difference. The worst source is an iPhone/iPod. Why? Since the output of an iPod/iPhone through the MMI cable is analog, the music will do two digital to analog conversions -- one on the iPod/iPhone and one again by the B&O's DSP. It seems to really flatten the sound and really doesn't do justice to the B&O system.
Time for me to copy all my iPod content to the MMI's hard drive, that should be a nice time consuming experience. You would think that given that the A7 has a Wifi hotspot, that it would see the MMI drive as an external drive and you can copy music across straight away. Having to copy onto an SD card first is a pain to say the least.....Then again may be you can connect to the MMI hard drive via Wifi, anyone tried it? Surely Audi wouldn't miss an obvious trick like this would they?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by caesar2011
Is it worth the money?
Yes.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I auditioned the systems and decided against the B&O, as I listen mostly to Sirius radio and drive primarily at noisy highway speeds. (I do have a killer high end system at home, with speakers costing more than most people's cars, to satisfy my audiophile music cravings.)

I am glad you guys are loving yours.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Question for you muski

I am looking to get the B&O on the A7 I'll purchase this fall. Is there and advantage/disadvantage to playback USB Hard Disk or SD card versus loading the music onto the vehicle's hard drive jukebox? If so can you kind of give me your perspective on this?

Also, is there a recommended Solid-state external drive brand or other specs or even a SD card (i.e. SDHC) that you've tried that's given you the best results specifically?

Any feedback much is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 08-22-2011, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some advice if you want to use a USB drive, after a couple of months with my A8, I had lots of freezes and crashes of the MMI (Map, Music, Video) whilst driving. Audi technical eventually said that I should unplug all peripherals and then try it. It's not been bullit proof since, but a load better.

Just a word of warning! (The USB drive in question was the Audi 100 year anniversary one, so you'd expect it to work!)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GHeard
Question for you muski

I am looking to get the B&O on the A7 I'll purchase this fall. Is there and advantage/disadvantage to playback USB Hard Disk or SD card versus loading the music onto the vehicle's hard drive jukebox? If so can you kind of give me your perspective on this?

Also, is there a recommended Solid-state external drive brand or other specs or even a SD card (i.e. SDHC) that you've tried that's given you the best results specifically?

Any feedback much is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sure...

The jukebox UI is nice and has a few extra features that you don't get with an SD or USB HD. I haven't played with it a ton, but I remember it has some nice Album Art scrolling feature (a la iPhone).

But, the car's jukebox is only 20gb, so it can't hold that much high-quality music. (My collection of about 500 CDs ripped as 320kpbs AACs is about 70gb.) If only I could find out where it is, I'd upgrade it in an instant. I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere on this forum.

I think the only difference between SD and a USB HD (spinning disk, not SSD) is the menu navigation speed. It sometimes takes a second or two for the MMI system to load artist/album/track data off the HD. To make this faster, I was thinking about an SSD drive, but might now just get a 64GB SD card for $100 (and trim my collection a little). I'll let you know how that goes, and esp. if there is a noticeable increase in navigation speed.

Cheers,
muski
Old 11-11-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

We've got a B&O poll over on the A6 Forum just for grins. Weigh in if you want.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2856725
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a '12 A7 with Bose and just purchased a '14 A7 with the B&O. To me there is a noticeable difference between the two. I must say that I am not an audio expert, I just enjoy good quality music.

With B&O I am hearing details in music that I have never heard before. The bass is tighter but the Bose was deeper. The highs are more pronounced with B&O than with Bose. I mostly listen to SD and iPhone sourced media.

$6k is a lot for the system however I don't regret getting this option. You could spend a lot less with after market but I didn't want to go through that.

Bonuses I've noticed are phone calls over bluetooth are a lot clearer and the cool factor of the lenses rising out of the dash.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Said differently, an aftermarket system with a $6K budget will produce an exceptional sonic outcome with little to no discernible weakness. That spend will get top shelf components, added power, line-out converter, proper subwoofer cabinet, sound deadening, and pro install, particularly if you keep the OEM head unit which most would for connectivity.

It might lack the gadgetry factor, but even that can be purchased for this outlay. That said, sound is the best gadgetry.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d2000one
I had a '12 A7 with Bose and just purchased a '14 A7 with the B&O. To me there is a noticeable difference between the two. I must say that I am not an audio expert, I just enjoy good quality music. With B&O I am hearing details in music that I have never heard before. The bass is tighter but the Bose was deeper. The highs are more pronounced with B&O than with Bose. I mostly listen to SD and iPhone sourced media. $6k is a lot for the system however I don't regret getting this option. You could spend a lot less with after market but I didn't want to go through that. Bonuses I've noticed are phone calls over bluetooth are a lot clearer and the cool factor of the lenses rising out of the dash.
After listing to the B&O for a couple months I must say that I am very pleased with it. I don't know if it had to be broken in but it now spuds much better than the Bose in my '12. I've actually had to turn the bass down because it was too much on a lot of songs (not that it couldn't handle it just too much for my liking).

I'm constantly looking for songs to test this system with and I'm impressed each time. Any suggested tunes? I love Hotel California Live, Enya's Orinoco Flow, Alicia Keys' No One.

Quick Reply: Bang Olufsen upgrade - is it worth the $$$$?