A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

best way to get audi connect without paying audi 30 a month?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you using freedompop, how do you get the Audi to stop displaying the YES/NO confirmation for data roaming? I've been using the freedompop card for a week, works fine, but every time it needs data after restarting the car, I have to answer YES to that question....annoying...
Old 03-10-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought a 2017 A7 Prestige and I'm wondering about this Audi Connect. Only thing I have read about was the 3D Google maps and wifi hotspot. What else does it do?
The following users liked this post:
Audi_A7 (01-02-2022)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

A little Google goes a long way....

https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...e/audi-connect
Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by demarco5
I wont be using as a wifi hotspot i can use my phone for that
Ill be using my phone for nav too probably because the car always gives me the weirdest route
Then there is really not much of a point to get Audi connect. Audi connect mostly complements the nav function of the MMI. Google searches, Google Earth, Online destinations. If you don't use the nav, then what's left is parking information, weather, gas station info and news. I've used those maybe a handful of times at most. Occasionally it's nice to check the weather at my destination while on road, but that's about it. The key main features of Audi connect for your model year are the ability to send destinations to the nav from one's phone or computer, do Google Voice POI searches and add eye candy to the maps with Google Earth.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cheap SIM for AUDI Connect

My 6month trial expired. So I went to the FreedomPop site Purchased a SIM and changed to the $0/month plan. In my 2016 Audi

This a modification of another user's proceedure

Once your SIM is activated (if purchased direct from FreedomPop it is already activated)

took out the old SIM
turned on the ignition
waiting for MMI to fully boot
put in new FreedomPop SIM
Went to Telephone - Settings
Click on Connections
Click on Data Connection
Click on Connection Settings.
APN was set to the factory ATT settings.
I changed the APN to "fp.com.attz" (don't enter the quotes)
kept everything else blank

It might take a few pwr on/off cycles to make connection
The following users liked this post:
Audi_A7 (01-02-2022)
Old 04-04-2017, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2016 audi a7 with att LTE audi connect and 1 gb data a month and only pay 10 bucks a month here in the us. You should check your account and adjust accordingly since you don't need all those gigabytes if you aren't using wifi Hotspot in the car. There are different tiers of att connect plans.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had two A7s now. At first I thought I was really going to like some of the features with Audi Connect. So I have now had two six month trial periods. Never use any of its features. I carry an iPhone with me all the time that will do everything imaginable anyway. But I get that everyone likes different features.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I've had two A7s now. At first I thought I was really going to like some of the features with Audi Connect. So I have now had two six month trial periods. Never use any of its features. I carry an iPhone with me all the time that will do everything imaginable anyway. But I get that everyone likes different features.
I think it mostly comes down to whether you appreciate the integration and experience that Audi connect offers and realize that while you are behind the wheel you should focus on the task at hand (driving) and not fiddle with a device that is not designed to be used while driving.

I also have an iPhone and no question that it does a lot more and better, however, fumbling with the phone while behind the wheel is not something I want/should do, nor is the phone screen big enough to easily be read when mounted on the windshield or the dash. I much prefer having navigation instructions on the bigger MMI screen and integrated with the DIS. Same way I prefer watching a movie on my Home Theater System instead of a tiny phone. It just is a better experience.

Audi connect then allows the use of the phone for looking up destinations ahead of time and send them to the car, or when in a pinch one can perform a Google search using voice commands w/o taking the hands off the steering wheel and the eyes of the road.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-05-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The newer A7, Audi Q7 and A4 have the Android auto and car play which are neat feature to help integrate the phones into the car for better maps, texts, apps, musics, etc. I am impressed. I wish I could retrofit it on my 2016 A7 as the 2017 A7 has it.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Baloo588
The newer A7, Audi Q7 and A4 have the Android auto and car play which are neat feature to help integrate the phones into the car for better maps, texts, apps, musics, etc. I am impressed. I wish I could retrofit it on my 2016 A7 as the 2017 A7 has it.
They do and that's a step in the right direction for using the phone in the car. Unfortunately, the current versions are still quite limited. They can't take advantage of the virtual cockpit and the app choice is limited. Only Apple Maps in case of Car Play for example. Android Auto at least is about to get Waze support on top of the already superior Google Maps.

Quick Reply: best way to get audi connect without paying audi 30 a month?