A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Brake Dusting

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dusting

Wondered how many people had been bothered by heavy brake dusting? I got tired of the whole side of the car getting black from heavy brake dusting (one driver drives aggressively). So, I switched out to EBC Red ceramic kelvar pads. There is a 80% reduction in the amount of dust from the brakes in my estimate, but its still worse than some other cars - however the brakes are awesome! The bite of the pads is about the same or better than stock.

I took some video of the brake job (not that its rocket science, but starting a collection of how to videos) and will have to do some editing and post it.

DD
Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been frustrated with the amount of dust from the OEM pads myself. Looked into other options but not much available yet. I thought I'd wait for the Posi Quiet Semi-Metallics to be released but may make the jump sooner if these EBC's reduce dust by 80% and have better braking...
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The amount of dust generated really is crazy. I will have to some research on these brakepads. I thought you really didnt have a choice. I just assumed all brakepads put out a lot of dust.

I look forward to everyones experiences posted here. Is there any other site or thread you guys could recommend for reading?

Johnny
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have found that the Brake Dust created on the wifes A5 is also crazy. Far more than I have seen on any other car.

And I think I know why.... It rains alot here in England and when the auto wipers are activated the brake pads automatically clamp on and off the brake discs to keep them hot and therefore dry. I think its called the disc brake massaging system. It will obviously create more dust than normal and is a possible reason for the excess dust. Ive never noticed the car doing this but it does add a few MPG to the average over a long journey.

I cant find the link at the moment for Audi's in depth info on it but will post it up when I do.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy
Wondered how many people had been bothered by heavy brake dusting? I got tired of the whole side of the car getting black from heavy brake dusting (one driver drives aggressively). So, I switched out to EBC Red ceramic kelvar pads. There is a 80% reduction in the amount of dust from the brakes in my estimate, but its still worse than some other cars - however the brakes are awesome! The bite of the pads is about the same or better than stock.

I took some video of the brake job (not that its rocket science, but starting a collection of how to videos) and will have to do some editing and post it.

DD
My son works at Honeywell Technologies - Transportation Systems headquarters in Switzerland. The Bendix Division falls under his jurisdiction and last time we met, I asked him about the brake dust issue. He says that they get a lot of complaints about it from North America but the rest of the world seems to be OK with it.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Realize its been ages but the video was in parts and youtube could not combine them the first time I tried, then I stumbled on it last night and the combine feature worked this time.

This is a brake job for beginners, I tried to cover everything, and yea it was my first job on the Audi so its not flawless as I was learning as I went along.

DIY brake upgrade to reduce dusting. The new pads only dust about 1/4 or less of the OEM pads. See video for details. Sorry I get long winded, warning ahead of time. This is again designed for those who may not work on cars very much to be able to do the brakes themselves.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using Armor All wheel protectant and I see a big improvement.
I found the video below in youtube and tried it.

Last edited by karpito; 05-09-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Want to make sure people knows I'm NOT the guy in the video...
Old 05-10-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very helpful. I'm going to try it asap.

How often do you need to reapply?
Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone put Opti-Coat Pro on their wheels? Wondering if that would have a similar affect to the Armor All but last a bit longer?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebeam
How often do you need to reapply?
It says that it lasts up to four weeks on the back of the can.

Quick Reply: Brake Dusting