A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Broken Plastic Nipple that holds cargo cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Plastic Nipple that holds cargo cover

Greetings,

New user, who recently found a nice Oolong Gray MY12 Premium Plus. Nice, as it has only 26000 km (about 17,000 miles).

The car is mint, but for one small niggling problem that I have searched this forum, others and internet in general and don't see any shared wisdom on...

On the hatch, near the window sides are two small plastic nipples that hold the arms of the cargo cover. One of mine is broken.

So wondering if anyone's had to change one of those, and if there's any good counsel, other than "take it to the dealer". That I will do if I have to, but might as well look to net wisdom first.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JErry
Old 01-25-2016, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your nipple....

I took a look at my hatch and it appears that the nipple is molded into the plastic window trim. To keep it OEM, it appears that the only fix is to replace the trim.

If it was mine, I would remove the trim, drill a hole and install a small screw. To match the nipple diameter, either cut the head off the screw or turn it down using a drill and a file.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Tenspeed. The 'nipple' is the extension of a small square of plastic, and I'm sort of hoping someone will advise on how to remove that small square. Probably means pulling trim just to get at the body of it. Interesting...

But thanks for the alternative. A good idea. Probably not too hard to do either. While 'stock' is nice, if it means changing a bunch of trim I'm definitely with your line of thinking.

Jerry
Old 01-25-2016, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by fullerjr
Greetings,

New user, who recently found a nice Oolong Gray MY12 Premium Plus. Nice, as it has only 26000 km (about 17,000 miles).

The car is mint, but for one small niggling problem that I have searched this forum, others and internet in general and don't see any shared wisdom on...

On the hatch, near the window sides are two small plastic nipples that hold the arms of the cargo cover. One of mine is broken.

So wondering if anyone's had to change one of those, and if there's any good counsel, other than "take it to the dealer". That I will do if I have to, but might as well look to net wisdom first.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JErry
I had the same problem with my previous A7. The part only available in a parts kit that contains a handful of other parts that you would never likely need and cost in excess of $400. I fixed mine by driving in a roundhead #8 sheet-metal screw. While it is not a perfect fit, it does the job just fine.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I had the same problem with my previous A7. The part only available in a parts kit that contains a handful of other parts that you would never likely need and cost in excess of $400. I fixed mine by driving in a roundhead #8 sheet-metal screw. While it is not a perfect fit, it does the job just fine.
i have an easy fix for this issue. Use a drywall screw, it fits perfectly and you don’t even screw it in the plastic. See attachements

Old 04-22-2020, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

That is not a drywall screw!