A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Can someone please tell me how this works?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone please tell me how this works?

ABT Sportsline presents the ABT Sound Control. Modify the sound of your Active Sound System with this little plug & play unit in the typical ABT style. Available for cars with 3.0 BiTDI motor (Audi A6, A7 und SQ5).

How does this work. I called the ABT guys in CA and they have no clue but are looking into it.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The Audi 3.0TDI bi-turbo (which I assume you can't get) is fitted with a system called Audi Soundaktor, that in this engine configuration has what are effectively loudspeakers attached to each of the two rear mufflers. These have electronically activated valves, which are opened via MMI/ADS settings, and combines with the natural exhaust note to alter the frequency and level of the sound.

The ABT (which stands for Abt ) piggy back module just turns the volume up, so to speak. There are other alternatives that seem to do the same thing (eg Kurafec) and probably are the same thing, but ABT do have a well established relationship with Audi.

But as your prospective TDI will not have the Audi control unit, nor the sound devices themselves, it is irrelevant.

You can buy a complete set, but IIRC it will be around $2k or so. And I imagine some re-programming of the MMI system would be necessary.

The ABT German website does make it clear that it is only for bi-turbos fitted with "Active Sound Control" - see second paragraph. Maybe the guys in California don't have an internet connection?

Sonorous diesels: ABT SOUND CONTROL
Old 07-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. this makes so much more sense. Thank you for clarifying this. Would you recommend a good way to add some deep exhaust sound on a a7 tdi? Any recommendations on exhast?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Yarbrough
Ok.. this makes so much more sense. Thank you for clarifying this. Would you recommend a good way to add some deep exhaust sound on a a7 tdi? Any recommendations on exhast?
Not really, as I don't drive diesel cars. But the best way by far is to use this type of system as developed by Audi. Anything else would either sound unnatural or nor do very much. I suspect there are plenty of people who add free flow exhausts, but that is not going to enhance the sound in the same way. These type of systems also get rid of the DPF, which I don't think is right from an environmental viewpoint, and also asking for trouble in the US (it would be illegal just about everywhere, anyway).

You can buy a complete set from Kufatec, but I would do some research on European Audi forums (such as the UK) :
https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/sound...-audi-a6-a7-4g