A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Cracked windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked windshield...

Anyone replaced their A7 windshield yet? Mine took a nasty rock to it a couple days ago. I live in Florida and insurance will replace at no cost, but I want an OEM windshield. I'm sure insurance will purchase the cheapest available but do they make aftermarket glass for our cars yet?
Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedws6
Anyone replaced their A7 windshield yet? Mine took a nasty rock to it a couple days ago. I live in Florida and insurance will replace at no cost, but I want an OEM windshield. I'm sure insurance will purchase the cheapest available but do they make aftermarket glass for our cars yet?
Windshield replacement is a high profit business and there are a number of companies making aftermarket glass. If you have HUD you need a special trapezoid cross-section windshield, make sure they don't replace the cracked one with a standard parallel cross-section unit!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Boostedws6
I have a 2012 A7 and had my windshield replaced about 9 months ago. I had a choice of OEM or aftermarket; I chose OEM. However the Audi dealership the glass installer went to did not have any and had to wait 5 weeks before they got one. They (Audi dealer) claimed they were waiting for a shipment from Germany. After a few weeks I called my local Audi dealer and he confirmed none in the East coast warehouse but could get one from mid-West warehouse.
I watched the installer put it in; pretty straight forward. He said he had worked on A6s and they were similar procedure. He did a great job and you could not tell it was replaced.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had 2 replacements now on my A7. I was happy with the first installers, but the second one was not done that well. I could see the tarry glue stuff oozing out between the A pillar and the glass on the opposite side. They also messed up the casing over the rear view mirror and I made them order a new one. It works well otherwise though, can't complain about that. But it's annoying.