A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Dealer can't program key fob?

Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer can't program key fob?

Looking for some input. I lost my only key fob, thankfully I had the plastic emergency key, otherwise I would have to tow it.

I bought 2 replacement key fobs on eBay. They are used from previous Audis.

The rep at the dealership told me that the tech tried to program them, but that it kept kicking him out of the software because those key fobs are already registered to another Audi's VIN and won't allow him to program them to my car (2013 A7).

I do programming for a living so not sure why this is an issue. Shouldn't he be able to clear or override that? Has anyone else had a used key programmed to their current car?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kamek89
Looking for some input. I lost my only key fob, thankfully I had the plastic emergency key, otherwise I would have to tow it.

I bought 2 replacement key fobs on eBay. They are used from previous Audis.

The rep at the dealership told me that the tech tried to program them, but that it kept kicking him out of the software because those key fobs are already registered to another Audi's VIN and won't allow him to program them to my car (2013 A7).

I do programming for a living so not sure why this is an issue. Shouldn't he be able to clear or override that? Has anyone else had a used key programmed to their current car?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Audi hosts a database of parts associated with the VIN they were originally shipped with. The database is shared with NCIS to prevent a black market in stolen parts. Even new OEM electronic parts (MMI controllers, ECM modules, TCM's, etc) must be electronically unlocked by the dealer using Audi's software.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a recent relevant experience. Just bought a used 2016 A7 that only had one fob. The dealership sent me a second one plus the physical key (I live in a different city than where I purchased it) with the plan being that I would take it into a local dealership and get it programmed. When it arrived I tried the physical key and it didn't work. When I contacted the dealership they realized they had provided the wrong info on the car. They told me that the fob they sent would not work for my car and sent another set. Basically they said to trash the fob and they'd send me the right one.

So the take away is that unlike other cars like my old Acura, the fobs are not agnostic which can they be programmed for any vehicle but are set up for the specific vehicle from wherever they order the fobs from.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 321 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanerh
Had a recent relevant experience. Just bought a used 2016 A7 that only had one fob. The dealership sent me a second one plus the physical key (I live in a different city than where I purchased it) with the plan being that I would take it into a local dealership and get it programmed. When it arrived I tried the physical key and it didn't work. When I contacted the dealership they realized they had provided the wrong info on the car. They told me that the fob they sent would not work for my car and sent another set. Basically they said to trash the fob and they'd send me the right one.

So the take away is that unlike other cars like my old Acura, the fobs are not agnostic which can they be programmed for any vehicle but are set up for the specific vehicle from wherever they order the fobs from.
This is very likely. I once called a dealer about key fob issues and this is what they said: You can purchase a blank key fob from them and they can program it into the car for you. If it's not too late, return these key fobs you bought from eBay and have your dealer take care of everything at your expense. I wonder why they did not tell you this in the first place.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through the process this week. Bought a used 2013 A7 that came with only one smartkey. I tried to order a new one from the local Audi dealer online, but learned that I had to go to the Parts dept in person and show them my registration, VIN, and drivers license. Note that the smartkey has two parts: the transmitter ($170) and the emergency key ($70). A few days later the key arrived at the dealership. I went to the Service dept and they programmed both the new key and my old key. It took about 45 minutes including a wash and cost $70 for the programming.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 321 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpine Al
I went through the process this week. Bought a used 2013 A7 that came with only one smartkey. I tried to order a new one from the local Audi dealer online, but learned that I had to go to the Parts dept in person and show them my registration, VIN, and drivers license. Note that the smartkey has two parts: the transmitter ($170) and the emergency key ($70). A few days later the key arrived at the dealership. I went to the Service dept and they programmed both the new key and my old key. It took about 45 minutes including a wash and cost $70 for the programming.
This is correct. You need to be there in person with a valid ID and the car's paperwork.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpine Al
I'm now in the same boat. Just picked up a 2013 A6 with only 1 smartkey. Can I order one online and program it myself?
Or is my only option the Audi dealer?

Thanks,
Dave...
Old 08-29-2016, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stangman05
I'm now in the same boat. Just picked up a 2013 A6 with only 1 smartkey. Can I order one online and program it myself?
Or is my only option the Audi dealer?

Thanks,
Dave...
Unfortunately, your only option is the Audi dealer. You can't order it online and you can't program it yourself. Note that the smartkey has two parts that should be ordered: the transmitter and the metal key.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a new switch bade key and fob via my dealer, was roughly $165. Taking it in on Thursday to program, they said about an hour.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Fob Confusion

We purchased a used Audi with 2 fobs, but they seem to be user specific.

How does the car know which setting to use with which fob? They look identical. Is there some way to tell them apart as to which is on Setting 1 or 2?

I think they must have information in the chip, and my partner thinks the fob keeps the settings, and I think the fob only knows if it is Setting 1 or 2 and the actual seat position, etc. is in the MMI in the car.

Please provide feedback on this issue if possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer can't program key fob?