A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

did someone try to break into my new car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did someone try to break into my new car?

Hi, new member here. Just picked up almost fully loaded CPO 2014 prestige. Excited to be here and look forward to some great driving and learning and sharing experiences from this great community.

Anyway, I went to the grocery yesterday and parked the car a bit far too guard against dents and dings. On my way in, some questionable characters drove past me and I saw them eyeing the a7. I continued walking and right before i entered the store i turned around to do a quick check of the car. When I looked, I saw the taillights flashing and could here a faint beeping, the kind when you initially lock the car, but the beeping was continuous. I rushed back to the car, but by the time I got there, the beeping and flashing stopped. No one was near the car and the car looked fine.

I'm trying to figure out if those characters tried to break into my car and ran away after the beeping went off. I can't find any info in the manual that throughly explains the security system. I thought at least the horn would go off as well to attract attention. Maybe even a indication on the dash saying the alarm was set off. Or was what I experienced just my a7 telling me it's scared and wanted to go home?
Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

That doean't sound normal. If entry is violated when the car is locked, the horn should start loudly beeping along with the lights flashing. Could be there's an intermittent locking issue with a sensor or switch which could exhibit the continual chirping sound and lights you observed.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by wynvern
Hi, new member here. Just picked up almost fully loaded CPO 2014 prestige. Excited to be here and look forward to some great driving and learning and sharing experiences from this great community.

Anyway, I went to the grocery yesterday and parked the car a bit far too guard against dents and dings. On my way in, some questionable characters drove past me and I saw them eyeing the a7. I continued walking and right before i entered the store i turned around to do a quick check of the car. When I looked, I saw the taillights flashing and could here a faint beeping, the kind when you initially lock the car, but the beeping was continuous. I rushed back to the car, but by the time I got there, the beeping and flashing stopped. No one was near the car and the car looked fine.

I'm trying to figure out if those characters tried to break into my car and ran away after the beeping went off. I can't find any info in the manual that throughly explains the security system. I thought at least the horn would go off as well to attract attention. Maybe even a indication on the dash saying the alarm was set off. Or was what I experienced just my a7 telling me it's scared and wanted to go home?

This happened to me a number of times over the years. It took me a while to figure out that I was setting the alarm off by having the car remote on my keychain in my pocket, and when I was either leaning against something of appropriate height or carrying something with a sharp edge it would inadvertently push the red panic button on the remote.

The horn from the distance in the open air does sound like "just a beep".