A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Downgrade tire and wheel size to stop harsh drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downgrade tire and wheel size to stop harsh drive

I just purchased a 2016 A7 with 20 inch rims and I love the damn thing, however, and yes there is a however, I cannot stand that I can feel every damn aspect of the road, it's such a relief when I get out of the car which deeply saddens me as is not a cheap car.

My question to you all more experienced and knowledgeable owners is whether or not getting tires with smaller rims with more sidewall would help decrease getting to know and feel the road so much, and if so what tires and rims/rim size is recommended.

If there is another way to stop that incredible firm drive and feeling every bit of the road please let me know.

I have a 2016 Audi A7 TFSI Premium Plus, the bottom lining of the door says s-line however im not sure it's an s-line package or not but it did come with the 265/35/20 tires and 20" inch rims.

Any input at all would help, if i have to change the tires/suspension/etc. it doesn't matter, I would do whatever it takes to just make that stop, I have ZERO interest in any other car on the market, nothing is even a close second for me at this point, so switching cars just doesn't seem like an option.

HELP!
Old 11-23-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

What tires are on it?

You might want to look into changing the tire for a different model/brand. Some tires have stiffer sidewalls than others and can effect the ride.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lookout57
What tires are on it?

You might want to look into changing the tire for a different model/brand. Some tires have stiffer sidewalls than others and can effect the ride.
I have the pro contact tx that came with it, any recommendations?

Also I read around the forum and noticed people mentioning the change of suspension to air adaptive suspension, excuse my ignorance but how do I determine which type of suspension I have?
Old 11-23-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bought2quick
I just purchased a 2016 A7 with 20 inch rims and I love the damn thing, however, and yes there is a however, I cannot stand that I can feel every damn aspect of the road, it's such a relief when I get out of the car which deeply saddens me as is not a cheap car.

My question to you all more experienced and knowledgeable owners is whether or not getting tires with smaller rims with more sidewall would help decrease getting to know and feel the road so much, and if so what tires and rims/rim size is recommended.

If there is another way to stop that incredible firm drive and feeling every bit of the road please let me know.

I have a 2016 Audi A7 TFSI Premium Plus, the bottom lining of the door says s-line however im not sure it's an s-line package or not but it did come with the 265/35/20 tires and 20" inch rims.

Any input at all would help, if i have to change the tires/suspension/etc. it doesn't matter, I would do whatever it takes to just make that stop, I have ZERO interest in any other car on the market, nothing is even a close second for me at this point, so switching cars just doesn't seem like an option.

HELP!
I have a 2016 Audi A7 3.0T with the 20 inch package and the max tire pressure is too high of the 20 inch.I looked into manual and changed my tire pressure to 35 front and rear from 38/41 front and rear which softened the ride alot because the max load pressure is for 5 ppl and full luggage and normal load pressure is for 1-2 people on average which is what you need to do. You can even drop the rear tire pressure to 33 psi for more comfort. I do that on my 2012 Audi A8L with 20 inch. Either way the A7 is very smooth. The ride is excellent and solid. What tires do you have? If you have pirellis then dump them and get Michelins which are softer and more comfortable. When winter rolls in I switch to Blizzaks LM 32 in size 19 for better traction, ride and handling. The all seasons michelins while comfortable and smooth from spring to fall get hard during winter time and the ride becomes firm and harsh a bit so I have to watch my tire pressure. Either way the A7 is still very comfortable and tires makes a HUGE difference not the car.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I have a 2016 Audi A7 3.0T with the 20 inch package and the max tire pressure is too high of the 20 inch.I looked into manual and changed my tire pressure to 35 front and rear from 38/41 front and rear which softened the ride alot because the max load pressure is for 5 ppl and full luggage and normal load pressure is for 1-2 people on average which is what you need to do. You can even drop the rear tire pressure to 33 psi for more comfort. I do that on my 2012 Audi A8L with 20 inch. Either way the A7 is very smooth. The ride is excellent and solid. What tires do you have? If you have pirellis then dump them and get Michelins which are softer and more comfortable. When winter rolls in I switch to Blizzaks LM 32 in size 19 for better traction, ride and handling. The all seasons michelins while comfortable and smooth from spring to fall get hard during winter time and the ride becomes firm and harsh a bit so I have to watch my tire pressure. Either way the A7 is still very comfortable and tires makes a HUGE difference not the car.
I have the continental pure contact tx tires 265/35/20 on all four and if you have 20 inch rims then how do you get the size 19 winter tires to fit? Do you have a different set for those tires?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you have a different set for those tires?
Most people have a dedicated set of winter tires on smaller rims. Eighteen inch is a popular size for the A7's. Some seventeen inch rims will fit.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Follow Baloo588's advice on checking you are running the correct tyre pressure, which are in the MANUAL, and NOT on the door jamb sticker. Those are maximum pressures which will destroy ride quality and reduce handling balance. Baloo's 35 front, 33 rear looks pretty good to me.

Continental do not make a PureContact all season tyre in a 265/35/20 fitment AFAIK. They must be ProContact as per your later post. The TX version has stiffer sidewalls to make it more energy efficient, probably not optimum for ride quality, but in general Continental are soft riding tyres. At the appropriate pressures.

You need to be sure you like the look of the A7 on 18" wheels, as they can look a bit odd on the car IMO. 19" wheels may be a better compromise. You obvioulsy like how it looks on 20" wheels.

You should make some effort to find out what suspension is fitted on your car. This can be determined via the VIN or the PR code sticker in the trunk. Converting to adaptive air suspension would be ridiculously expensive. I don't think S line chassis suspension is available in the US, so it possible has Sport suspension. You could change from the Sport springs to the higher riding standard springs, which may help. Although Audi tune their springs and dampers (shock absorbers) together, so really you should change both.

But based on your description, I doubt if you need to change tyres/wheels/suspension - first change tyre pressures: 35PSI front, 33PSI rear

What was your previous car?
Old 11-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Follow Baloo588's advice on checking you are running the correct tyre pressure, which are in the MANUAL, and NOT on the door jamb sticker. Those are maximum pressures which will destroy ride quality and reduce handling balance. Baloo's 35 front, 33 rear looks pretty good to me.

Continental do not make a PureContact all season tyre in a 265/35/20 fitment AFAIK. They must be ProContact as per your later post. The TX version has stiffer sidewalls to make it more energy efficient, probably not optimum for ride quality, but in general Continental are soft riding tyres. At the appropriate pressures.

You need to be sure you like the look of the A7 on 18" wheels, as they can look a bit odd on the car IMO. 19" wheels may be a better compromise. You obvioulsy like how it looks on 20" wheels.

You should make some effort to find out what suspension is fitted on your car. This can be determined via the VIN or the PR code sticker in the trunk. Converting to adaptive air suspension would be ridiculously expensive. I don't think S line chassis suspension is available in the US, so it possible has Sport suspension. You could change from the Sport springs to the higher riding standard springs, which may help. Although Audi tune their springs and dampers (shock absorbers) together, so really you should change both.

But based on your description, I doubt if you need to change tyres/wheels/suspension - first change tyre pressures: 35PSI front, 33PSI rear

What was your previous car?
Correct, they are procontact not pure contact and at this point i'll give up the look so I can actually enjoy my car when driving.

The first thing I did was change the tire pressures to 36 front and 32 rear but it only happened slightly, I will keep adjusting and try the 35/33 pressures.

My previous car was a 2013 audi a5 and my other current car is a 2013 audi a4, both preium plus with the standard tires and wheels and both felt much smoother than my current 2016 audi a7.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that a 19" would be a better choice. But its damn hard to find a Prestige without 20"s. With the 20's a different tire may make some difference, but going to a 19 and a different tire would no doubt be a better choice, but obviously not cheap.

When I bought my 2015 I looked into 19s extensively but then only kept the car ten months. My 2016 has 20s, but I like the looks of the wheels a lot better and for some reason the ride does not seem as bad to me, but I'm sure it is. I'm just getting used to it I think.

Last edited by jjsC6; 11-25-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Correct, they are procontact not pure contact and at this point i'll give up the look so I can actually enjoy my car when driving.

The first thing I did was change the tire pressures to 36 front and 32 rear but it only happened slightly, I will keep adjusting and try the 35/33 pressures.

My previous car was a 2013 audi a5 and my other current car is a 2013 audi a4, both preium plus with the standard tires and wheels and both felt much smoother than my current 2016 audi a7.
Something is not right. I have 20" wheels and S line chassis suspension, which is a 30mm drop and the most extreme OEM suspension you can get. And it is still more refined in ride than any B8 model I have driven.

Given you are on decent pressures, your description "incredible firm drive and feeling every bit of the road" is not how an A7 drives.

Get a torch under the car and check the inner sidewalls on the tyres for any bulges. Continental can be a bit vulnerable in this area. Are any wheel weights missing? Car transported, and shipping blocks left in?

Any chance you can drive another A7 for comparison - any friendly dealers nearby so you can travel over similar roads? Or see if you can get a senior Audi tech from a dealership to drive it around the block, they can often pinpoint an issue very quickly. It would be a pity to start throwing money at wheel or tyre combinations without being assured of the outcome.

Quick Reply: Downgrade tire and wheel size to stop harsh drive