A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Downgrade tire and wheel size to stop harsh drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bought2quick
I have the continental pure contact tx tires 265/35/20 on all four and if you have 20 inch rims then how do you get the size 19 winter tires to fit? Do you have a different set for those tires?
Hey I am running the 19 inch size 255/40/19 on separate Hartmann 19 inch rims and they give more comfort during winter time. The A7 rides smoother then our A6 and my prior sedans including BMW 5 AND Lexus GS350 F-sport so I am very happy. The continental tires pure contact TX were TOOO soft for me so I dumped them last year and got stiffer Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires in size 275/35/20 which has a more thicker sidewall to give more protection.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also the sports suspension will settle in and become more softer over time. I have 21k on my A7 and its softer then when new and rides great.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Something is not right. I have 20" wheels and S line chassis suspension, which is a 30mm drop and the most extreme OEM suspension you can get. And it is still more refined in ride than any B8 model I have driven.

Given you are on decent pressures, your description "incredible firm drive and feeling every bit of the road" is not how an A7 drives.

Get a torch under the car and check the inner sidewalls on the tyres for any bulges. Continental can be a bit vulnerable in this area. Are any wheel weights missing? Car transported, and shipping blocks left in?

Any chance you can drive another A7 for comparison - any friendly dealers nearby so you can travel over similar roads? Or see if you can get a senior Audi tech from a dealership to drive it around the block, they can often pinpoint an issue very quickly. It would be a pity to start throwing money at wheel or tyre combinations without being assured of the outcome.

That seems to be exactly what I'm going to do next, setting up an appointment today to go in and check with another dealership.

I went to the dealer i purchased the car from and the service manager stated that this is how it's supposed to feel and ride because it's a firm drive but I have no doubt that he's incorrect (even though it would behoove him to say that there is something wrong).

I'm getting a full check up and will update the post if anybody here is interested. There is just no way I should feel every aspect of the road and slight but noticeable vibration on newly paved road.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do those Michelin tires give you a smoother ride?

Ride quality is by far the most important aspect for me.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That seems to be exactly what I'm going to do next, setting up an appointment today to go in and check with another dealership.

I went to the dealer i purchased the car from and the service manager stated that this is how it's supposed to feel and ride because it's a firm drive but I have no doubt that he's incorrect (even though it would behoove him to say that there is something wrong).

I'm getting a full check up and will update the post if anybody here is interested. There is just no way I should feel every aspect of the road and slight but noticeable vibration on newly paved road.
I think your vibration is because of 1 or 2 tires being out of round and excessive road force from factory. Have the dealership road force the tires to make sure that all 4 tire/wheel combo is below 10 lbs because it will give a glass smooth ride on smooth pavements. I dont feel every rut and dips unless my tire pressure is too high and the Michelins are stiffer than the Continentals I had like you. The Continentals were TOO soft and numb and I hated them. If you find them stiff then the pressure is too high or vibration because they are not balanced properly. Thats 2 different things of course. Its going to be a firmer drive then a Cadillac or Lincoln or some of the Lexus and BMWs but its by far the smoothest Audi I have driven except for our 2012 Audi A8L.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I think your vibration is because of 1 or 2 tires being out of round and excessive road force from factory. Have the dealership road force the tires to make sure that all 4 tire/wheel combo is below 10 lbs because it will give a glass smooth ride on smooth pavements. I dont feel every rut and dips unless my tire pressure is too high and the Michelins are stiffer than the Continentals I had like you. The Continentals were TOO soft and numb and I hated them. If you find them stiff then the pressure is too high or vibration because they are not balanced properly. Thats 2 different things of course. Its going to be a firmer drive then a Cadillac or Lincoln or some of the Lexus and BMWs but its by far the smoothest Audi I have driven except for our 2012 Audi A8L.
Getting the road force balance today but I'm curious as to weather it should be tested with the air pressures at maximum or at the 36 front 32 rear I currently drive them with. Not sure if it makes a difference, any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Whether*
Old 11-26-2016, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Getting the road force balance today but I'm curious as to weather it should be tested with the air pressures at maximum or at the 36 front 32 rear I currently drive them with. Not sure if it makes a difference, any thoughts?
It shouldn't make a difference but if you haven't done it bump the rear up to 35 psi then. Just make sure no tire or wheel assembly is greater than 10 lbs or that tire will amplify imperfections on certain smooth road that shouldn't be there. Have them print out the numbers and rematch if greater than 10. Audi specifies 15 lbs max but many customers like you and me are sensitive to it has to be below 10. Keep me posted.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Whether*
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/fee.../#post24884182
Old 12-04-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey any update on this issue? What were the road force numbers?

Quick Reply: Downgrade tire and wheel size to stop harsh drive