A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Driver assist - possible upgrade after purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver assist - possible upgrade after purchase

Is it possible that the Driver assist is just a software upgrade that can be installed after purchase?

I'm asking because I'm considering buying a 2015, and it seems like all the hardware is already in place in the prestige package to allow for driver assist.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you talking about Side Assist, Lane assist or the whole package including ACC? There is more to the systems than just software - there are radar sensors and other hardware that would more than likely have to be installed. Driver Assist would cost several multiples more to buy and install the necessary components than if purchased as a new car option . Better to order or find a car with the options that are important to you.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like the prestige already has "side assist" and "pre-sense basic and rear" and the "parking system plus;" how many more sensor could POSSIBLY be needed for the "plus" in pre-sense and the adaptive cruise control with stop & go?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by petersk
Seems like the prestige already has "side assist" and "pre-sense basic and rear" and the "parking system plus;" how many more sensor could POSSIBLY be needed for the "plus" in pre-sense and the adaptive cruise control with stop & go?
To be fair, you didn't indicate what model A7 and options are already on the vehicle you're considering. The ACC system consists of two front radar sensors (not the parking sensors) and integrated camera. The sensors are often mistaken for fog / driving lights. The integrated camera is located behind the windscreen in front of the rearview mirror. Not all Prestige models contain this option as it was originally part of a selectable option package when i purchased my 2012 A7. Also, there was no lane assist available on 2012 A7's. If the vehicle has what appears to be fog / driving lights, it has ACC. (not sure if it's now standard on 2015 / 16 Prestige models)

More info here:
Lots more throughout the forums

Nonetheless, given the complex safety features that the ACC system manages, I wouldn't feel comfortable messing with any part of it. Especially trying to add it to a vehicle that originally did not have it. (regardless of cost as Snagitseven appropriately noted)

Cheers,
Attached Images