A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Emissions scandal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one was hurt. In time this will blow over. Will future corporations learn anything from this? Probably not. Profits are always pushing the boundary.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
If I did have a TDI, this would be my stance as well. If I loved my TDI, I would still keep it. And if resale values are lower down the road, I could make the decision to keep it longer or buy a new TDI at presumably a lower price than it was previously.
If I bought a 3.0TDI (which I was considering) and the engine were added to the EPA fraud list, I wouldn't love it any longer. The aura of the TDI is the fuel economy and 'clean' diesel emissions. If the vehicle turns out to be polluting 10-40x the EPA limit, I wouldn't want to have those noxious fumes permeating my cabin. $90k pales in comparison to chronic respiratory illness.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

According to Audi the 3.0 TDI is made by Audi for Audi and VW and has all the necessary computer programming to regen as it should, not bypassing any emissions standards, and will not face any scrutiny as part of the current TDI issues.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DSL_PWR
According to Audi the 3.0 TDI is made by Audi for Audi and VW and has all the necessary computer programming to regen as it should, not bypassing any emissions standards, and will not face any scrutiny as part of the current TDI issues.
The Audi letter I received was not 100% absolute in tone about the 3.0 TDI:
"Audi diesel models with the 3.0-liter V6 TDI engines — were not referenced in the EPA’s letter, they remain on the market, and are available at dealerships"
Old 10-02-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The issue is trust - if they will lie/cheat on this issue what is to say they are not lying about another...does the quattro truely work as it used to? Or has that been adjusted...and on and on.

I would never buy a GM car because of the ignition issue..not because it happened, but because the way they tried to sweep it under the rug...their vehicles will never see my driveway.

I think a good number of people will feel the same way about VW and Audi. I bought the Audi because of its engineering and specifically the A7 for its looks but am worried that the decisions being made to cut corners at the highest levels logically do not end with just one area - and could be pervasive throughout the building of the car(s).
Old 10-04-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi should dump that "truth in engineering" slogan now
Old 10-04-2015, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by a7ubercoupe
Audi should dump that "truth in engineering" slogan now
I wouldn't rush to decision yet please. My 2014 Audi A6 TDI vin number is not under the scrutinized engines nor is yours. At least Audi is trying to be honest and the CEO wrote the letter to accurately describe the situation the parent company VW did. I know its unfortunate and unacceptable but if I was offered to upgrade my engine computer for lesser emission and get less gas mileage, I would opt to say no. Sorry.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Automakers Come Clean And Tell European Regulators There Is No Way Any Diesel Can Pass 2020 Standards - AutoSpies Auto News

Goes to show the problem we have will spread widely in few years if the new government mandate goes into effect..
Old 10-05-2015, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSA714
The issue is trust - if they will lie/cheat on this issue what is to say they are not lying about another...does the quattro truely work as it used to? Or has that been adjusted...and on and on.

I would never buy a GM car because of the ignition issue..not because it happened, but because the way they tried to sweep it under the rug...their vehicles will never see my driveway.

I think a good number of people will feel the same way about VW and Audi. I bought the Audi because of its engineering and specifically the A7 for its looks but am worried that the decisions being made to cut corners at the highest levels logically do not end with just one area - and could be pervasive throughout the building of the car(s).
So you are okay if hundreds of thousands of honest workers at VW lose their jobs over the actions of what might have been literally a few people? There is not a major company in the world who doesn't have a few dishonest people. Go after them and don't lump the entire company in with them.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
So you are okay if hundreds of thousands of honest workers at VW lose their jobs over the actions of what might have been literally a few people? There is not a major company in the world who doesn't have a few dishonest people. Go after them and don't lump the entire company in with them.
That conclusion assumes VAG would goe out of business over this. Pretty doubtful that agencies in any of the countries involved would want to see that happen. VAG will likely feel some significant financial and reputation hurt over this mess but putting hundreds of thousands out of work is unlikely.

As to going after the top brass that made the decisions to cheat, don't worry - the various judicial departments around the world are sharpening their knives.

Quick Reply: Emissions scandal