A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Excited for cross-country trip to get '14 A7 TDI and my introduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Excited for cross-country trip to get '14 A7 TDI and my introduction

Hi, my name is "Mark P". I've been around here a while, but just not on this A7 forum.

Years ago when I first saw photos of the A7, I was very intrigued. I've "always" been a utilitarian hatchback/wagon/suv enthusiast, so the large hatch/trunk made me feel that this sedan-style car is "useful", unlike my view of the A6/A8 sedans But at that time, the A7 was too big for me and aimed at an older market than the type of smaller "youthful" cars I was interested in. And it cost too much, etc.

Fast forward a number of years, the addition of TDI to the lineup, and the drop in price (used market), and with some added sport options and it's become a reality. One that I'm very excited about.

The very beginning of my Audi story started in 1998/1999 when I became really interested in the Audi A4, and had found JET's A4 website (currently Audiworld). I ended up buying a 2000 A4 sedan after starting a real job out of college; my first new car. I knowingly bought a sedan, as all of my family had wagon/hatch/suvs. Less than 18 months later, I realized I needed more space and haven't owned a traditional sedan since.

My 2000 A4 1.8T, APR Stg2, with a bunch of stereo stuff I did myself:
My A4 Website: Mark's Quattrobonium

In April 2001, I sold the A4 sedan and ordered a 2002 Imola Yellow S4 Avant. After a 5 month wait (2 months to complete build and get to the US, 3 more months sitting in port waiting for 2002 models to be released), it arrived. It was amazing.

My 2002 S4 Avant, APR Stg3 (RS4 turbos and such):
My S4 website: Mark's S4 Quattrobonium

The S4 was the platform that got me the most into hands-on car work I had done, including several engine pulls, transmission pulls, head/turbo/suspension/brake/TB replacements, etc. It's also when I really got into data logging with VAGCOM and APR ECUx, and where my use of Excel and graphing exploded.

For instance, here are more graphs than you ever wanted to see on Mileage and Fuel Economy:
Mark's S4 Quattrobonium
and one pasted here in-line, with 15+ years of fuel filling data:

I also began going to track events (Lime Rock, Virginia International Raceway, and Road Atlanta), and went to the drag strip often (best pass was 11.7 @ 122mph). I owned the S4 for 8.5yrs and 193k miles, and it looked nearly as good on it's last day as it's first day. Photo above is when it was for sale with 193k on it.

A few years after I bought the S4, somewhere around 2004, I considered buying a Golf TDI for my long (140 mile roundtrip) commute to work, and save some of the mileage on my S4 Avant. Running the numbers, buying a new TDI just didn't really make sense for me to lose the driving excitement (my S4 was nicely modified up around 450hp) in exchange for economy. Instead in 2005 I bought a used 2001 Golf 1.8T (rare 4dr 1.8t offered for 1.5 yrs) and I put a big turbo on it and was able to still have fun car and more economical, and saved miles on the S4. That timeframe was still the first I became interested in TDIs.

My 2001.5 Golf 1.8T, APR Stg3 (GT28R turbo, stock-appearance):
My Golf website: Mark's 2001.5 VW Golf 1.8T 4dr

In 2009 I added a 2004 996 911 Turbo X50 (stock option, larger K24 turbos). Things just worked out right at the time I bought it (bought in Chicago), so when I sold it 5 years later, it only cost me about $125/mo to own. Timing was everything on that and I hope to reproduce such in the future. This effectively replaced the S4.
My 996TT website: http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/996tt/

In 2009, my girlfriend (now wife) bought a VW Tiguan 2.0T:
The Tiguan website: http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/tiguan/

In 2010 I sold the Golf and replaced it with a 2008 A3 2.0T DSG S-Line (bought in Las Vegas):
My A3 site: http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/a3/

Fast forward to 2012 and I learned that there were going to be more TDI offerings at Audi to augment the then-current Q7/A3 options. The Q5 TDI particularly caught my interest. I wouldn't have looked at a larger (than my wagon/hatchbacks) vehicle like this with the standard 3.2 V6 and the poor fuel economy from that. But with a 3.0TDI rated at 31 mpg highway, and monster torque, and sporty S Line option, it was really exciting. It would replace the A3 and get better fuel economy! In Sept 2012 I searched out a good local salesman and approached him with my interest. I was set with the first allocaiton from that dealership and nearly 1 year to the day later, my 2014 Glacier White Q5 TDI S-Line B&O Nav Tow arrived.

2014 Q5 TDI S-Line:
Q5 TDI files: Index of /mark/q5

In 2014, I sold the 2004 996TT and after considering many different other cars, stumbled upon a 2012 TTRS and got that (bought in CT).
TTRS files: Index of /mark/ttrs

In Aug 2016, we sold my wife's 7 yr old Tiguan and she took my Q5 TDI. I assumed/decided I'd look for another Q5 TDI (dieselgate scandal underway) and after I began looking, one day it hit me that I should consider an A7 TDI. I started looking, only to find very little availability. I found a very nice one the first day I looked but it was already sold, and didn't find another worth considering. I kept looking for both and in Oct I found a good Q5 TDI (Daytona Gray, this time, my 2nd choice over the Glacier White we already had) so went with that (bought in Atlanta):

2014 Q5 TDI

Recently (2017) I had begun looking at S5s to replace the TTRS. While looking for those, my A7 search which I kept active since Aug got a new hit and this time it looked really good. I jumped on it and that's what I'm getting now (buying in Monterey, CA). I'll put the TTRS up for sale since we "need" to keep the TDIs until the dieselgate scandal is settled. Once that happens, and assuming there's not a buyback option, then we'll put the White Q5 TDI up for sale, and get another "fun" car then.

Details:
2014 A7 TDI
> Daytona Gray / Black Interior
> Prestige (S Line bumpers, Bose, 4-zone climate, Ambient lighting plus w/LED, front seat ventilation, power steering column, folding/heated mirrors, adaptive/cornering lights)
> Sport Package (3-Spoke Steering Wheel w/Paddle Shifters and Sport Suspension)
> Black Optic Package (Dark trim/grille, 20" 7-spoke bi-color wheels 265/35R20 summer tires)
> Cold Weather Package (Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats)
> LED Headlights w/ LED DRLs
> 41k miles (Warranty until 50k or May 2018)
> AudiCare (45k service upcoming)
> All service done at dealership
> No warranty claims
> 1 owner (apparently has some nice other cars)
> Just got new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires put on.

This is not the exact vehicle, but photo for reference:

So now the road trip is on! I'm flying out next Thurs. Any recommendations on what to see/eat along the way? Roughly it looks like I could maybe make it to Vegas the first night (late night - pretty sure time doesn't matter there ). Then
Day#2 to Denver,
Day#3 to Kansas City (mmmm BBQ!),
Day#4 to Nashville
Day#5 to Raleigh.
That keeps each day in the 8hr driving range (Vegas to Denver more like 10hrs) which seems "reasonable". When I did Vegas to Raleigh, I did it in 3 days at 13 hrs/day in horrible weather (ice/snow started in Arizona/New Mexico/Texas all the way home)

I look forward to learning a lot more about this car. I think combined with the TDI, this will be a wonderful cross country trip vehicle. I look forward to seeing how many miles I can get on a tank, though being cautious about how often I'll find diesel in the middle of nowhere. I was able to get 626 on a tank in the 31-mpg-hwy rated Q5, exceeding the listed 613.8 mi. range. for the A7, I hope on this trip to also exceed the range on at least one of the segments. However, the range seems to vary depending where you look, based on whether the tank is actually 19.2 gallons or 19.8 gallons. Edmunds lists 2014 A7 TDI as 19.8 gallons and a corresponding 475.2/752.4 mi. range. But it lists a 2015 as 19.2 gallons with a corresponding 460.8/729.6 mi. range. The A7 Audi Product Information Book for 2014 lists 19.2 gallons in the 10/17/13 version 1.9, with a notable entry for "fuel tank size for A7 TDI & AdBlue tank" in the 5/6/13 version 1.3 revision. So my guess is that it's really 19.2 gallons and Edmunds entry came from data before Audi updated it. So my goal is to exceed 729 miles on a tank

Oh, and here's one final, relevant graph:

Last edited by Mark P; 03-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. Looking forward for your A7 TDI trip. New Mexico is very warm at the moment.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats!

With the long road trip make sure they top off the AdBlue tank if you're not doing the entire 45k service before you hit the road. You'll probably be ok but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by A7_TDI; 03-16-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by A7_TDI
Congrats!

With the long road trip make sure they top off the AdBlue tank if your not doing the entire 45k service before you hit the road. You'll probably be ok but better safe than sorry.
Good call, thanks!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by BurntToast
Nice work. Looking forward for your A7 TDI trip. New Mexico is very warm at the moment.
Great! I've been watching the weather closely. Here's what I went through on the last few days of January 2010:

Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What an intro!

I made a trip from Phoenix to NY a bunch of years ago. Since I was so close, I stopped in and saw the Grand Canyon. I would fill the tank at the end of day and find a place to stay on the east side of whatever town I made it to. That way I could toss my bag in the car and avoid the morning rush hour traffic.

Unless your in a big hurry to get home, take some time and see the sights. Any particular reason to take Rt.70 over Rt.40 besides Colorado?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by tenspeed
What an intro!
Thanks, I tried to keep it short ;-)

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I made a trip from Phoenix to NY a bunch of years ago. Since I was so close, I stopped in and saw the Grand Canyon. I would fill the tank at the end of day and find a place to stay on the east side of whatever town I made it to. That way I could toss my bag in the car and avoid the morning rush hour traffic.

Unless your in a big hurry to get home, take some time and see the sights. Any particular reason to take Rt.70 over Rt.40 besides Colorado?
I did I-40 when I drove back from Vegas, so I figured I'd do the northern route this time. I've also never been to Denver or Kansas City.

Also it adds 5 new states (CA, UT, CO, KS, MO) that I have not driven my car in previously. The ones in blue I have driven my own car. The ones in green I have driven someone else's car (ie rental):

Last edited by Mark P; 03-18-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done a few cross country trips, they were mostly in my old MK6 Jetta Wagon TDI. From Lansing, MI to Seattle, down to LA and then back home. Then soon after that down to Orlando.

I've also done the Orlando trip in my A7 and one to Austin as well. Makes a boat load of difference between those two vehicles. I believe I averaged about 42MPG on my Texas trip. I love my A7 TDI, but if they offered me a buyback, I'm not sure I'd complain about that.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! What a fabulous read with my coffee this morning. I'm sure I'm not alone with others here that will live vicariously through you as you complete your road trip! Hopefully, you can update as you go?

Like you, I'm hunting down an SQ5, also very particular about options, condition etc. Unlike you, I'm not able to go cross country to get it with family, job and life commitments here in VA!

Thanks for taking the time to share with us and best of luck. Looking forward to the updates

Cheers
Old 03-18-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=Mark P;24938342]Thanks, I tried to keep it short ;-)

HAHAHA !

Interested in your updates, as well, particularly about your mileage. Expect it will be satisfyingly great.

Quick Reply: Excited for cross-country trip to get '14 A7 TDI and my introduction