Factory Warranty Expiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Clo
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Warranty Expiring

Hey guys -

My 2012 CPO A7 just reached 49,000 miles so the factory warranty is close to expiring... This might be dumb, but I was wondering if there is anything I can/should do before it ends. For example:

1. Brake Squeak at Slow Speeds: Is this common? The dealership measurements of the pads and rotors seemed solid. Can they fix this another way?

2. Inside Door Rubber Scratch: This is minor and I'm around 99% this won't be covered... Any chance they will replace the inside door handle? (The black rubbering scratched off slightly.)

3. Key FOB Battery: Probably not covered, right?

4. General Maintenance: Is there anything they will do under factory warranty that I should take advantage of?

Also, is there anything specific you recommended to maintain the car? I'm not too mechanically savvy but if there are simple things to do I'd love to know... Do you recommend buying the "Audi Care Select" packages?

Probably pretty stupid but if anyone has suggestions, some feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Clo
Old 12-02-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Clo
Hey guys -

My 2012 CPO A7 just reached 49,000 miles so the factory warranty is close to expiring... This might be dumb, but I was wondering if there is anything I can/should do before it ends. For example:

1. Brake Squeak at Slow Speeds: Is this common? The dealership measurements of the pads and rotors seemed solid. Can they fix this another way?

2. Inside Door Rubber Scratch: This is minor and I'm around 99% this won't be covered... Any chance they will replace the inside door handle? (The black rubbering scratched off slightly.)

3. Key FOB Battery: Probably not covered, right?

4. General Maintenance: Is there anything they will do under factory warranty that I should take advantage of?

Also, is there anything specific you recommended to maintain the car? I'm not too mechanically savvy but if there are simple things to do I'd love to know... Do you recommend buying the "Audi Care Select" packages?

Probably pretty stupid but if anyone has suggestions, some feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Clo
1. Mine does the same
2. Unlikely, it is a cosmetic issue, considered normal wear and tear
3. If you ask for a new battery, it is not covered. If you complain about intermittent door unlocking, the first thing they will do is replace the battery (under warranty, as it is now part of a repair issue they get paid for)
4. Ask your friendly service advisor. It is in their best interest to perform any work they would get paid for by Audi, so they will tell you what they can do
Old 12-02-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

The common CR02 key fob battery is inexpensive. I bought an 8-pack for $5.

General maintenance is not covered under the factory warranty other than the 5K miles scheduled service.
It's best to follow the scheduled service intervals as found in the manual, every 10K miles or 12 months whichever comes first.
The Audi Care Select is pretty expensive. If you can find a good Audi indy shop in your area you will save money.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-02-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you going to be purchasing an extended warranty?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by localbrew
Are you going to be purchasing an extended warranty?
Me? No. I explored it three years ago on my A6 when the cost would have been much less than today on a 2013 - I passed. I almost never buy extended warranties on anything and prefer to self-insure by banking the savings of the policies. Over many years and 30+ new cars, I'm ahead.

I do buy Audi Care since for me, that's a guaranteed savings since I have the dealer perform scheduled msintenance while the car is under factory warranty.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Me? No. I explored it three years ago on my A6 when the cost would have been much less than today on a 2013 - I passed. I almost never buy extended warranties on anything and prefer to self-insure by banking the savings of the policies. Over many years and 30+ new cars, I'm ahead.

I do buy Audi Care since for me, that's a guaranteed savings since I have the dealer perform scheduled msintenance while the car is under factory warranty.
Actually I was asking the OP (CLO) but I do enjoying hearing what others did/do. I usually don't buy it either, but I broke down and did it for my 2012 A7. I took the plunge and did the 6yr/72k mile platinum. With a recent repair of the B&O subwoofer that would have set me back $1160. Now I could have taken it to a stereo shop and I'm sure they could have fixed it for a couple hundred or so I would imagine.

I'm curious now if I should buy the Audi Care Select and how that plays out financially. Are there really that much savings buying it up front?

I'm in a predicament with my A7 and my wife's new Q3 if should fork out the $ for Audi care, thoughts?
Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I never buy extended warranties or service contracts on things because most of the time I can fix things myself. The few items I can't take care of for one reason or another we replace, we are still far ahead. The only exception is the furnace and air conditioning system in my house, for that we have a very reasonably priced service contract.

I do negotiate Audi Care into the deal when I get the car, that is a definite bargain since I want the recommended scheduled maintenance services performed by the dealership while the car is under warranty. Even if you paid full price for Audi Care, it cuts the price of scheduled maintenance by half.

With the newer technology used to build these cars, where everything is replaced (and only available) as a sub-assembly instead of being repaired by using the actually defective part in the sub-assembly, replacement part prices are often astronomical. Add to this the labor cost if you can't do the repair yourself. For this reason, I do not keep the car beyond the factory warranty. As a matter of fact, I trade/sell it before the warranty runs out so the new owner still has some coverage and can buy the extended warranty if so desired.

This works for me, others of course may have a different opinion/consideration.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP said that his car is a CPO. Doesn't that give it a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty? He should have roughly 2-3 years/51,000 miles left.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by deschet13
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP said that his car is a CPO. Doesn't that give it a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty? He should have roughly 2-3 years/51,000 miles left.
Yes, depending on when the car was originally sold and the OEM warranty began, he could have 2 years left under the CPO warranty. Note that the CPO warranty is not as inclusive as the the factory warranty and IIRC, there is a deductible due for each repair.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

whats a good aftermarket warranty?
just curious.

Quick Reply: Factory Warranty Expiring