A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Free Nav Updates w/ Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free Nav Updates w/ Audi Connect

According to Audi NA CSR the Audi Connect offer 5 free navi map updates. Apparently you will receive a pop up asking if you want to update.

Anyone have a paid Audi Connect service and get these updates?

I haven't had the service active for a couple years and last time I ask the dealer about an update to the navi I was told $200 or $300 something.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

These updates are only available on the facelift models that have the AT&T LTE MMI.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lookout57
These updates are only available on the facelift models that have the AT&T LTE MMI.
I only have the (retrofitted) 3G so good to know.

Obviously Audi CSR was mistaken when they looked up my VIN and stated it applied to my 2012 A7. Guess I won't reactivate my Audi Connect then.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can get free updates on the Audi site. You need to download it onto an SD card usable with the car. I haven't done it because I mostly know where I'm going occasionally. This may not apply to all cars and certainly not those who always know where they are going some of the time.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, less wise ***, though not my mission. With Audi connect you get Google maps which change constantly. If you are using the built in maps and have a car with the SD slot and of a certain vintage, Audi does provide the map updates via their website. I'm not sure what they cost depending on how old your car is but I assume free for a period of time. My manual says I can get them this way for free but doesn't say for how long.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

With Audi connect you get Google Earth, not Google Maps. Two related but different services. The map data is local to the MMI and the Google Earth satellite images are superimposed over it. Those images constantly update, because they are retrieved over the car's data connection, but the underlying digital map data stays the same. So that means you could see roads on the satellite images, that are not present in the map data, hence the MMI doesn't know about them. For all 4G MMI starting with the A3, the local map data can be updated by the end user and as said you get 5 free updates. The map updates can be downloaded directly to the MMI via the LTE connection or from the myAudi website to an SD card and then used to update the local map data. Older generation MMIs need to be updated from a DVD. For the 3G+ officially only a dealer can do that. In the past you used to be able to buy a DVD from Navteq and do the update yourself.

Unless you live/drive in areas that are rapidly changing and getting entire new highways and such, an outdated map is not the end of the world. Since I moved to CA in 2002 and started to have GPS in my cars I only bothered once with updating the maps. The roads haven't changed that drastically here.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Indemand
I'm pretty sure you can get free updates on the Audi site. You need to download it onto an SD card usable with the car. I haven't done it because I mostly know where I'm going occasionally. This may not apply to all cars and certainly not those who always know where they are going some of the time.
i think that's only with MyAudi which I have an open issue in with Audi CSR. The system won't let me create a new account as I already have one but it also won't send me a lot password as it says I don't have an account. Weirdest thing. Apparently it's a known issue as other CSR have confirmed others have this problem. Been a week with no resolution thus far. Audi keeps trying to get me to just close the case without resolution isntead of finding a fix.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a problem with my car asking me for a pin for the sim card. Called the USA Audi people who knew there was an issue. They said they would call me back. But I ended up finding information, likely here, to change a setting which worked fine. Much of this stuff is a work in progress. But, none of us are lost so we will be fine at the end of the day.
I guess I need to try the update process to see how it actually works. I'll report back.