A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Gearbox over heating!! Please adapt driving style

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Haider
I live in Kuwait ( Middle East), I double checked with the dealer and YES audi regional manager ( from Dubai) was involved and the new gearbox will be shipped from there. It costs 22,200 USD plus fitting fees and if that has been the case I would have been eligible for 10% discount for parts. However they are offering the gearbox for free and i will be paying for labor cost only. I am not sure it is the mechatronic thing otherwise it would have showed up at least on diagnostic tool. The car has been well cared for with all services/maintenances done through them, that's the reason for the well treat as explained by them.
Okay, seems a reasonable scenario if they are the ones that have been servicing the car - I guess you must have bought it privately from one of their customers. Still very dubious about their quoted parts price. If they are charging 3 times typical parts costs, then I would be hesitant to own an Audi outside of any warranty period

I now have a combined 12 years ownership of 3.0TFSI with S tronic, I have to say this is one of the best transmissions I have ever experienced. Its only weakness is also its strength - it has the fastest upshift speed of any transmission out there, around 7ms. This was forced onto the engineers by senior management at the time. But this rapid shift speed creates massive torque shock on the drive shafts (IIRC, 7ms creates around 4 times rated engine torque force as seen by the drive shaft).

Most issues I have read about are when owners add some cheap chip tune which increases torque by more than 20% and is outside the torque limits of the S tronic version fitted to the car.

So I think the S tronic is a dream, rather than a nightmare

It is a shame it appears to be getting replaced in future V6/V8 engines by torque converter gearboxes. This is likely a function of the efficiency of higher torque at low RPM FI engines (which make the S tronic a bit jerky), the propensity for some markets to add after-market tunes, and that Audi and Porsche are sharing these new V engines. Porsche are continuing to use PDK (which is a very similar design to Audi's MLB S tronic, but made for Porsche by ZF), and this different transmission approach creates some separation between the two marques?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Okay, seems a reasonable scenario if they are the ones that have been servicing the car - I guess you must have bought it privately from one of their customers. Still very dubious about their quoted parts price. If they are charging 3 times typical parts costs, then I would be hesitant to own an Audi outside of any warranty period

I now have a combined 12 years ownership of 3.0TFSI with S tronic, I have to say this is one of the best transmissions I have ever experienced. Its only weakness is also its strength - it has the fastest upshift speed of any transmission out there, around 7ms. This was forced onto the engineers by senior management at the time. But this rapid shift speed creates massive torque shock on the drive shafts (IIRC, 7ms creates around 4 times rated engine torque force as seen by the drive shaft).

Most issues I have read about are when owners add some cheap chip tune which increases torque by more than 20% and is outside the torque limits of the S tronic version fitted to the car.

So I think the S tronic is a dream, rather than a nightmare

It is a shame it appears to be getting replaced in future V6/V8 engines by torque converter gearboxes. This is likely a function of the efficiency of higher torque at low RPM FI engines (which make the S tronic a bit jerky), the propensity for some markets to add after-market tunes, and that Audi and Porsche are sharing these new V engines. Porsche are continuing to use PDK (which is a very similar design to Audi's MLB S tronic, but made for Porsche by ZF), and this different transmission approach creates some separation between the two marques?
Thanks for the input, the car dirves flawlessly, actually I was about to defer from accepting the idea of swapping the gearbox, then I paused a little and has given it a thought. If something really goes bad later (even if the chance is 0.0001%) then it will show up on their record that I was offerd to replace the gearbox and I declined it, then I probably would be forking out the 22,000 with a big smile on my fave as well !