A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 PM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ground Clearance

Why does Audi refuse to publish the ground clearance of some of its models???

My wife has had an A5 S Line in the past and is ready to rejoin the Audi family She's actually driving my '09 A8 at the moment, but we're giving that to our son as a college graduation present in May. Shhhh, he doesn't know. Anyway, she liked the A5, but the low ground clearance annoyed her at times.

With that as background, we're considering another A/S5 or an A/S7 for her. Does anyone know how the ground clearance compares between the A5 and A7?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:54 PM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok, so I posted this and then finally found the following:

The Audi adaptive air suspension fitted to the A6, A7 and A8 offers multiple driving modes, which show the following characteristics:

The standard ride height sits at 120 mm (4.7 inches). When using the “Auto” mode, the ground clearance is reduced by 20 mm (0.8 inches) when the vehicle exceeds 120 km/h (74.5 mph) for more than 3 seconds.

In the “Dynamic” mode, the default ride height measures 100 mm (3.9 inches) and the value drops by 10 mm (0.4 inches) when the car is traveling at over 120 km/h (74.5 mph) for more than three seconds.

The “Comfort” mode brings the ground clearance to the aforementioned default value of 120 mm (4.7 inches), regardless of the vehicle’s speed.

In addition to that, Audi’s adaptive air suspension also offers a “Lift” mode, which increases the ride height by 25 mm (1 inch) to 145 mm (5.7 inches). The “Lift” mode can be selected up to a speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). Once the vehicle exceeds 100 km/h (62 mph), the ride height is automatically lowered to the level indicated by the mode that had been previously selected.
The following users liked this post:
NJZDMYZ (04-08-2024)
Old 02-28-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

In the USA, the S6 & S7's have the adjustable air suspension. The A6 & A7's have non adjustable coil springs.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 AM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

very good to know, thanks. I'm leaning toward an S7 for her anyway (knowing how much I love my S8), but this helps push another step in that direction. Perhaps I'm over reacting to the snow that we've had in Boston this year, but between snow covered roads and really beat up pavement, the ability to raise up a bit sounds like a great idea.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jro
very good to know, thanks. I'm leaning toward an S7 for her anyway (knowing how much I love my S8), but this helps push another step in that direction. Perhaps I'm over reacting to the snow that we've had in Boston this year, but between snow covered roads and really beat up pavement, the ability to raise up a bit sounds like a great idea.

Having now owned both an A7 and now an S7, I'd say go for the S if you have the means for the added cost, or can get a great deal like I did.

The adjustable Air Suspension feature definitely makes a huge difference in ride comfort. I no longer feel that jarring thump when going over rough roads and pot holes. My driveway slopes downwards and then levels into the garage. I can now raise the S7 and drive it in with rubbing issues on the lower bumper most lip. It'll still be in its raised condition when I need to reverse out. Absolutely love it! Will be great for snow days too.

I'd also highly recommend the Contoured Comfort Seats with Ventilation and massage features. It is indeed super comfortable compared to my A7's Ventilated seats. Your wife if like mine will swear by its massage functions.

Good luck
Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Having now owned both an A7 and now an S7, I'd say go for the S if you have the means for the added cost, or can get a great deal like I did.

The adjustable Air Suspension feature definitely makes a huge difference in ride comfort. I no longer feel that jarring thump when going over rough roads and pot holes. My driveway slopes downwards and then levels into the garage. I can now raise the S7 and drive it in with rubbing issues on the lower bumper most lip. It'll still be in its raised condition when I need to reverse out. Absolutely love it! Will be great for snow days too.

I'd also highly recommend the Contoured Comfort Seats with Ventilation and massage features. It is indeed super comfortable compared to my A7's Ventilated seats. Your wife if like mine will swear by its massage functions.

Good luck
But the comfort seats are not as nice looking as the sport seats with the quilted stitching, it is a trade off of course but in an S7 I would stay with the sport ones.
Of course my wife will not be as happy but I will
Old 03-02-2015, 04:58 PM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, now I have a new dilemma. Got a call from my local dealer today (have purchased two cars from him in the past). They just took in a '14 A7, brilliant black, nougat brown interior, cold weather package, Bose sound system with 19,279 miles. Will sell it to me CPO for $56k

I actually am taking my S8 in for the 15,000 mile service tomorrow and they are going to give me the A7 as a loaner, so I'll get a good day behind the wheel tomorrow.

I'd welcome your thoughts?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jro
I would seriously consider the 2014.

Two years worth of depreciation out of the way and a CPO warranty. Your going to be using snow tires for 4-5 months out of the year and the A7 can take 18's and certain 17 inch rims for your winter set.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jro
So, now I have a new dilemma. Got a call from my local dealer today (have purchased two cars from him in the past). They just took in a '14 A7, brilliant black, nougat brown interior, cold weather package, Bose sound system with 19,279 miles. Will sell it to me CPO for $56k

I actually am taking my S8 in for the 15,000 mile service tomorrow and they are going to give me the A7 as a loaner, so I'll get a good day behind the wheel tomorrow.

Certified 2015 Audi A7 For Sale in New Hampshire | Certified Audi Sales

Isn't this a much better deal than your dealer is offering?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 PM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

Indeed it is. THanks. Looks like I'll be making a slight detour to the Audi dealer in Nashua on my way ip to Vermont Friday afternoon!

Drove the original model in my post. Great car to drive, but I wasn't thrilled with the look and feel of the nougat brown interior, nor was my wife so we decided to take a pass on it. This list for the NH car though is intriguing to say the least.

Thanks again/

Last edited by jro; 03-04-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Ground Clearance