A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Heated Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel

The wheel will heat initially when the button on the wheel is pushed but does not maintain temperature. The temperature reverts to normal temperature in just a few minutes. Is this "normal" operation of the heated steering wheel?

The Owners Manual indicates the steering wheel will heat up and maintain the temperature until the button is pushed to turn it off... which is very different than my experience.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveWendel
The wheel will heat initially when the button on the wheel is pushed but does not maintain temperature. The temperature reverts to normal temperature in just a few minutes. Is this "normal" operation of the heated steering wheel?

The Owners Manual indicates the steering wheel will heat up and maintain the temperature until the button is pushed to turn it off... which is very different than my experience.
Mine does stay warm until you turn it off by pressing the button.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveWendel

When you get into the cold car the steering wheel will heat up faster than the cabin temperature and feel much warmer to the touch. When the car heats up to the desired cabin temperature, the steering wheel stays warm but cools off relative to the temperature in the cabin.

I love this feature but some people don't.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The temperature of the heated steering wheel is set to 28 degrees C, if you want to increase (or decrease it) is can be done by coding. Ask the dealer och do it your self if you have VCDS.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the input. I will talk to the dealer and see if it is failing or is holding at 82 deg F.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's designed this way, and it sounds like yours is perfectly normal.
I also wish the steering wheel would stay warmer for a longer period of time, but it seems to lose heat shortly after it gets heated up.
I'm not a big fan of this design...one of the disappointing features I'd say.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Change the temperature of the heated steering wheel

This is a VAG com adjustment:

The factory preset temperature is 28 °C. If you want to increase or decrease it, go to module 16 (steering wheel), adaptation and select channel 10.

The preset value is 28 (which relates to 28 °C). Change this to the temperature of your choice and you are done. A temperature of 32 degrees has been tried and tested.

Last edited by fkaufman; 11-26-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Im going to try this on my Q7. Do you know if there is a timer adjustment as well? Mine seems to only stay on for a few minutes.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

On my wife's 2009 Q7 I was not able to get into the module to make the change as it needed an access code which I could not find online. I do not believe there is a timer. Monitoring my 2012 A7 with the VAG COM it appears to turn on when the wheel temp sensor is greater than +/- 1 degree C from the set temp. At first the wheel is cold so it is on longer and more frequently. After the heater has been on for a while it runs less frequently and shorter time period but still maintains the +/- 1 degree pattern. I suspect it is because the wheel material inside has finally reached near the set temp. I set my wheel temp to 35C and it feels great especially given the winter the northeast US has been having.