A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Help: 2016 A7 TFSI or TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: 2016 A7 TFSI or TDI?

Hi,

I'm having trouble deciding, hoping someone has gone through the choice to give some thoughts.

I took a TFSi for a test drive, punched it near redline in "dynamic" mode. Very smooth, perhaps too smooth. It didn't feel "fun", perhaps the TDI is different?

My local dealer doesn't have any tdi available.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 04-23-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey,

I have a 2016 Audi A7 TFSi and my brother has a 2014 A6 TDI. The TDI is more torque at lower end but the A7 TFSI is so much faster response throughout all the power band and feels smoother and quieter then the TDI which has some noise and a bit of vibration under load which annoys me. The A7 is getting average of 27-30 mpg on highway and 20-24 mph in city which is fantastic for this new updated engine.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ncq7
Hi,

I'm having trouble deciding, hoping someone has gone through the choice to give some thoughts.

I took a TFSi for a test drive, punched it near redline in "dynamic" mode. Very smooth, perhaps too smooth. It didn't feel "fun", perhaps the TDI is different?

Thanks,
Neil
I have traded a 2012 TFSI for a 2015 TDI last fall. I sure wouldn't go back to the TFSI.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Thanks,
Neil

Neither, if you're looking for the 'fun factor' - go S7 instead with it's 7-sp DSG tranny!! Assuming you like the practicality and looks of the A7/S7. Otherwise there are more fun factor cars than what Audi produces.

3.0 TFSI with it's 8-sp tranny, like you said - excellent power train, no lag whatsoever, so silky smooth and quiet that you don't get the 'feel'.
TDI - much noisier and quite a bit of turbo lag, even in Dynamic mode. But nothing wrong, it's just the nature of the beast.

Just my take, since you're looking for more 'fun', I take it you'd prefer instant rush without turbo lag or throttle tip in feels. As well you might enjoy the true engine and exhaust noise from a V8.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The dealer has to have a TDI in another model to test drive. Take one out and see if it fits your driving style. You won't be wrong with either engine.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Neither, if you're looking for the 'fun factor' - go S7 instead with it's 7-sp DSG tranny!! Assuming you like the practicality and looks of the A7/S7. Otherwise there are more fun factor cars than what Audi produces.

3.0 TFSI with it's 8-sp tranny, like you said - excellent power train, no lag whatsoever, so silky smooth and quiet that you don't get the 'feel'.
TDI - much noisier and quite a bit of turbo lag, even in Dynamic mode. But nothing wrong, it's just the nature of the beast.

Just my take, since you're looking for more 'fun', I take it you'd prefer instant rush without turbo lag or throttle tip in feels. As well you might enjoy the true engine and exhaust noise from a V8.
I have been driving a TDI for 6 month now and have not noticed any turbo lag!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback.

Ben: You're right on all points...

I was also considering an S6 - the price diff was that much therefore I'm working with the dealer to put an order in for an S7 !!!

http://api.ning.com/files/ASn0d-A2J7...Yve_Ard_11.jpg
Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the feedback.

Ben: You're right on all points...

I was also considering an S6 - the price diff that much therefore I'm working with the dealer to put an order in for an S7 !!!

http://api.ning.com/files/ASn0d-A2J7...Yve_Ard_11.jpg
hahaha good one!
either one of these A7 TFSI or TDI S6/S7 - you won't go wrong!
But you'll definitely wake up feeling better with that V8 power waiting to be driven!

Keep us updated
Old 04-27-2015, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

People keep mentioning "turbo lag" yet the 0-60 times between TFSI and TDI differ by 0.1 seconds. Very different engines. For example if you are the type of driver that does not rev the engine above 4500 rpm than the TDI is much faster than the TFSI. You need to drive them and "punch the pedal" to see the difference. Most of the TDI drivers have (or had) Audis with both type of engines. Lots of very passionate posts on the TFSI vs. TDI engines!
In this case it it helps to drive rather than read!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
People keep mentioning "turbo lag" yet the 0-60 times between TFSI and TDI differ by 0.1 seconds. Very different engines. For example if you are the type of driver that does not rev the engine above 4500 rpm than the TDI is much faster than the TFSI. You need to drive them and "punch the pedal" to see the difference. Most of the TDI drivers have (or had) Audis with both type of engines. Lots of very passionate posts on the TFSI vs. TDI engines!
In this case it it helps to drive rather than read!
0-60 is not effected by turbo lag because the testers will bring the boost on by brake torquing. But honestly, most of the BMW and Audis and such have virtually no lag. Technology has come a long way. I know, my first turbo car was 35 years ago and I have owned several over the years.

Quick Reply: Help: 2016 A7 TFSI or TDI?