A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Input please - anyone with a family of 5.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Input please - anyone with a family of 5.

My wife is ready to move away from a mini van. We have 3 teenage kids. I think the Q7 is probably the better choice, but I think she'd like the A7 more. I got my eye on a couple 2013/2014 Prestige's.

I'm thinking with the hatch the A7 has plenty of storage room. How would it be on long trips?

Looking for some first hand experience.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dario Campolattaro
My wife is ready to move away from a mini van. We have 3 teenage kids. I think the Q7 is probably the better choice, but I think she'd like the A7 more. I got my eye on a couple 2013/2014 Prestige's.

I'm thinking with the hatch the A7 has plenty of storage room. How would it be on long trips?

Looking for some first hand experience.
Can't comment on the 3 teenager issue, however I can attest that the A7 will hold 4 adults (2 XXL males, 2 M females) and 4 sets of golf clubs. Although in order to accomplish this, the middle rear seat has to be forfeited in favour of golf clubs. Without the golf clubs, I'd say plenty of room for 2 adults + 3 teenagers (unless they're giants) + several suitcases. Might have to remove the privacy shelf. Long trips are as comfortable and effortless as you might expect from a high-end Audi. Rear seat headroom has not been an issue for any of our rear-seat passengers, including me (I'm one of the XXL males previously mentioned, I have to ride in the back if I've been naughty).

Just my opinion, but Q7 = bad, A7 = good :-)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not know this when i got my A7, but it only has 4 seat belts. The rear middle is hard plastic. I believe the new ones have a 5th seat belt. I love my A7, but atlas they could give the option to a kit to switch the rear seat.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

As of model year 2013 they added the rear middle seat. The S7 and RS7 still don't have it.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lookout57
As of model year 2013 they added the rear middle seat. The S7 and RS7 still don't have it.
Yes, unfortunately no middle seat in the S7/RS7 main reason I went for a S6.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dario Campolattaro
I'm thinking with the hatch the A7 has plenty of storage room. How would it be on long trips? Looking for some first hand experience.
I have a 2012 A7, so no third seat to give you feedback on. I replaced a S5 for the A7 so that I could drive more often with the family vs. the minivan. I have a 6' 2" 17-year old and a 19-year old daughter. The only complaints are from my son if we hit a bump or a speed bump too hard.

We drove to Orlando this year, which is a 500 mile trip for us, and did it very comfortably. The back took 4 suitcases, four computer bags and assorted wife's stuff. She did have to sacrifice the powered fan and assorted food she wanted to throw in there. All with the cover still in place.

Nothing compared the storage of the Honda Odyssey, but I'll take the trade-off.

Flickr

Last edited by SpectreGadget; 08-29-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

To me...buying an SUV anything is like wearing moon boots year round. While they are great in the snow...for that short time you need them, it just doesn't make sense the rest of the time...which usually coincides with most of the time. I know a lot of people "swear" they need their SUV...ok.whatever. I'd take an A7 all day long. That's a beautiful car. The ride awesome. And as others have noted...holds plenty. Not to mention gets better gas mileage, corners better, handles better, stops better, easier to get in and out of, looks better, and as a result...is a much safer vehicle overall. That alone would be why I would want my family in an A7 over any SUV.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We did a 1,400 mile trip (two adults & two teens - only one person under 6') last summer. The trunk was packed like SpectreGadget's pic. You can load a ton of stuff in there and still have everything hidden under the parcel shelf / sunshade. No issues.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You definitely need a vehicle with a 3rd row. The A7 is nice, but to load up 3 teenagers and luggage for a long trip .... sounds tough.

Even with 2 teenagers ... it would be tough with all the luggage. Especially if your kids are girls like mine. LOL.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Braces
You definitely need a vehicle with a 3rd row. The A7 is nice, but to load up 3 teenagers and luggage for a long trip .... sounds tough.

Even with 2 teenagers ... it would be tough with all the luggage. Especially if your kids are girls like mine. LOL.
But if you have all three rows of seats being used...where does the luggage go? on the roof?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Input please - anyone with a family of 5.