A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Kill the Audi Navigation, Give me Google Maps

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If you have changed your phone since originally activating Audi Connect, try deleting the phone's bluetooth device in the MMI and the phone itself and re-pair the two. There is some synergy between Audi Connect and a specific phone. Also, you can try resetting the telephone default settings in Menu>Setup MMI>Factory Default Settings>Telephone. These worked for me - after entering it once, no more asking for the pin each time I use Audi Connect.
A little more checking and it seems like it's a problem limited to the 2016. Spoke with the tech support at Audi Connect and they confirmed that. If anyone has a 2016 and figured a way around it, let us know.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this a month ago. Damned if I can remember but I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the phone menu to disable the password requirement. When I had the car activated the lady told me there was an issue. I'll look again tomorrow but it was a simple fix.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Indemand
I just went through this a month ago. Damned if I can remember but I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the phone menu to disable the password requirement. When I had the car activated the lady told me there was an issue. I'll look again tomorrow but it was a simple fix.
That would let be great. Is yours a 2016 as well?
Old 06-12-2016, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have to agree that MOST navigation systems currently in cars are not as easy to use or as up-to-date as the nav systems that we have in our phones.
That's why I use Waze much more often than the nav in my A7.
Why can't auto companies get their act together and bring us Car Play, Android Auto or whatever so we can easily use our favorite navigation apps?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoff
Why can't auto companies get their act together and bring us Car Play, Android Auto or whatever so we can easily use our favorite navigation apps?
Well, Audi does. 2017+ models offer Car Play and Android Auto, but... neither one let's you use your favorite navigation apps. Everybody has an agenda, so Apple Car Play only lets you use Apple Maps and Android Auto only lets you use Google Maps. In about a year, Android Auto will support Waze at least. There's simply no platform at this point that delivers what you are asking for.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Deanerh
That would let be great. Is yours a 2016 as well?
Yes it is. Password is definitely a setting in the menu.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

The password issue is known to Audi. They say it is there by design. There is no menu option or setting to save or disable it. The last time I spoke with ACNA they indicated there was a fix being worked on but gave no time frame for it being available.

Last edited by 19hole; 06-16-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine asked for a password constantly. Went to Telephoneata Connection:Pin (Sim) Settings:Auto Pin (Sim) Entry:On

Hasn't asked me again. I think this is what you are talking about.

Added smiley = Semicolon D.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by allaboutA7
I am a big Audi fan. Love, love their cars but there has been one feature that has annoyed me for some time now and i can hold it no more, Audi's Navigation OMG. Like every car manufacturer, Audi does there own navigation (Don't know why) and the basic works ok. The problem is that the the thing is updated maybe once a year or even less frequently. When new roads a built or traffic pattern change, it take quite a while for Navtec or who every does the mapping software to get updates to the market. To add insult to injury, my 2016 A7 like many audi's has Google earth. This is a real joke as google earth is updated much more quickly than the mapping software in this car. So what happens is google earth downloads the updated images but the mapping software doesn't have any of that information and is struggling to follow the path in its database which is outdated. Why the cheap gimmick? Simple give me google maps like the tesla's and that will be that. It is so annoying to have a nav system in the car and always use my phone to get accurate navigation. Also i don't have to pay for updates on my phone. Audi was unto something when it partnered with Google a while ago but i think they have gone down the wrong path. Audi, please please drop the nav system and google earth gimmick and give us Google maps.
Back to the original topic, it is unfortunate that I've come to trust on Waze more than the built-in MMI, especially in cases when I know there's heavy traffic.

I do still make use of the MMI Google Maps (in conjunction with Waze), when I want to zoom out to a big-picture view of my trip, or zoom in to see the buildings etc.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
Back to the original topic, it is unfortunate that I've come to trust on Waze more than the built-in MMI, especially in cases when I know there's heavy traffic.

I do still make use of the MMI Google Maps (in conjunction with Waze), when I want to zoom out to a big-picture view of my trip, or zoom in to see the buildings etc.
It's a mixed bag on all sides in my experience. So far the MMI in my area has done very well, but YMMV. A couple of weeks ago, both Waze and Google Maps were of the opinion that I should leave an hour earlier than I planned in order to make a performance in the city. They reported major traffic and suggested that I take a much longer detour that instead of taking over 1.5 hour would take 1 hour and 10 minutes. After consulting some other sources such as here.com and online traffic cams, I ended up trusting the MMI and took the original route. 35 minutes later, I arrived at the destination. This is not the first time Google Maps reported major traffic, when in reality it is mostly clear. I've made it a habit to check different sources before leaving on a time critical journey and in my experience the MMI is mostly on the money, but I'm sure the quality of data is not consistent across the nation.