A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Lane assist retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanman
The very first thing I did - I leave it on all the time "in the hope" but no joy!

M
So still no one who have done this successfully, what a shame...
I seem to remember that you needed a new module JXXX to do the interpretation of the incoming video....
Old 05-19-2014, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That module should be standard with the car, definitely for those with ACC.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did some further digging:
The control units necessary for the Audi active lane assist function:
Camera control unit J852:
· Registers the area in front of the vehicle and transfers the images to the image processing control unit J851
· Searches for lane boundary lines in the images, determines their exact position and geometry, and transfers this infor- mation to the control unit J851
Image processing control unit J851:
· The function software of Audi active lane assist is integrated in this unit
· Transmits the required system steering moment to the control unit for power steering J500 and, if required, requests a vibration alarm
· Asks the control unit in dash panel insert J285 to display the current system state and, if required, to display messages and warnings
· Transfers the current system state to the control unit for windscreen projection J898 and asks it, if required, to display warnings
· Saves the settings for Audi active lane assist made via the MMI. The stored values are assigned to the vehicle key in use.
Power steering control unit J500:
· Activates the motor for electromechanical steering accor- ding to the specifications of the control unit J851 (generation of the required system steering moment and output of a vibration warning)
· Reads in the sensor for steering moment G269 and forwards the steering moment to the control unit J851
Optional control units that can be used if fitted:
Adaptive cruise control unit J428 and control unit 2 for adaptive cruise control J850:
• If the vehicle has the optional extra ACC, its measured variables are used for the two functions "Deliberate lane change without set turn indicator" and "System characteris- tics with obstacles detected on the neighbouring lane"
Park assist steering control unit J791:
• If the vehicle has the optional extra front / rear parking aid, its measured variables are used for the function "System characteristics with obstacles detected on the neighbouring lane"
Data bus diagnostic interface J533:
• The interface of the various data bus systems
Steering column electronics control unit J527:
• Reads in the button for switching the Audi active lane assist on and off and places the information on the CAN bus
Control unit in dash panel insert J285:
• Displays the current system state of Audi active lane assist • Issues messages of Audi active lane assist
Control unit 1 for information electronics J794:
• Settings for Audi active lane assist can be made via the control unit J794
Control unit for windscreen projection J898:
• If the vehicle has a head-up display, the current system state and warnings from Audi active lane assist can be displayed there

Then I went through my VCDS scan and I have:
J851
J500
J852
J428
J533
J285
J527
J898
J794

I do have all the needed modules (ex step the stalk)
Audi will not code it for me!

Need to figure out if the car actually needs software, or if it is a matter of enabling things.
I know it will request some adaption/calibration befor it will work, but assuming that the camera is calibrated, so I could go next, next on this.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Did anyone ever get this figured out????
Just got an A7 with Innovation and no lane assist, would really love to get it working
Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi I found all the parts needed.
1 controller under right seat floor
2 stalk
3 wiring from camera module to controller

I can digg out the part numbers if you like.
I Will do this during summer.
All parts are available from e bay, except for the wiring, that you can get from kufatec
Getting the traffic sign assembly
Should be enough.
If you have traffic sign recognition and acc I hope the need is only the stalk.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the US version so do not think it reads traffic signs. I do not get speed limit info in HUD. Just on the nav screen from google earth.

Look forward to hearing how you get it to work
Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

In NA, I'm pretty sure the speed limit display on the nav screen actually is part of the NavTeq info built into the static onboard map data. Unfortunately, they would not be updated unless a new map upgrade is purchased and installed (and even then would be close to 2 years outdated).
Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am less fussed about speed limit on HUD. I am more interested in getting Active Lane Assist work.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

++
Add me to the pool of interested parties. If it helps to buy components in bulk let me know I'm all-in. Part numbers would be helpful to make sure us less experienced Audi owners get the right part.
But doesn't seem anyone has successfully completed this mod just yet if I've read these posts correctly.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

It would appear that the OP has abandoned this thread. His last post was on 5-7-12. Looks like another "I DID IT! Standby for instructions!" thread with no followthrough :-/

Quick Reply: Lane assist retrofit