A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

MMI / NAV update US Market

Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI / NAV update US Market

I managed to find a source for my 2012 A7 to update the MMI and NAV database for the US market. I recently moved and my NAV database was woefully out of date.

I just completed the firmware and maps update, everything worked. even fixed some obvious bugs (like the bluetooth bug) that I was annoyed about.

Whole process is documented and took about 2 hours

Price is reasonable, so if anyone is looking for this sort of upgrade, please PM me and I'll relay info of the outfit.

I have no idea why the images are upside down, they look correct to me when i manage the images on here
Attached Thumbnails MMI / NAV update US Market-img_3977.jpg   MMI / NAV update US Market-img_3978.jpg  

Last edited by darreln; 07-29-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Looks like you are in need of a hardware upgrade, too, judging from your 2G signal. Audi has an updated telephone module to restore 3G service in markets where T-Mobile has upgraded their network. Contact AoA or your dealer.

Right side up images:

Name:  MWqjlaN.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  uuXV3lS.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  54.5 KB

Last edited by superswiss; 07-29-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually use a TRUSim service, which is running off the 3G network. I live in an area with little to no 3G service, so it bounces to 2G a lot. Also, my SIM sometimes loses it's 'default' or preferred network, so I need to program it back to Cingular, which I believe it T-Mobile...
Old 07-30-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by darreln
I actually use a TRUSim service, which is running off the 3G network. I live in an area with little to no 3G service, so it bounces to 2G a lot. Also, my SIM sometimes loses it's 'default' or preferred network, so I need to program it back to Cingular, which I believe it T-Mobile...
TRUSim as in Truphone? If so, Truphone no longer uses the T-Mobile network in the USA as of June 27, 2016. They've switched to AT&T. However, your hardware doesn't support AT&T's 3G frequencies. The hardware upgrade I mentioned among other things adds proper support for AT&T, however, the upgrade is only free of charge if you are currently an Audi connect subscriber.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
TRUSim as in Truphone? If so, Truphone no longer uses the T-Mobile network in the USA as of June 27, 2016. They've switched to AT&T. However, your hardware doesn't support AT&T's 3G frequencies. The hardware upgrade I mentioned among other things adds proper support for AT&T, however, the upgrade is only free of charge if you are currently an Audi connect subscriber.
TRUPhone....wow...amazing what one can learn here!
I did not know about the switch to AT&T, so thanks to you, I now know that I'll be stuck in 2G land

Do you know of any other "pay-as-you-go" providers in the US that are still compatible with my car's hardware?

darreln
Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

TRUPhone....wow...amazing what one can learn here!
I did not know about the switch to AT&T, so thanks to you, I now know that I'll be stuck in 2G land

Do you know of any other "pay-as-you-go" providers in the US that are still compatible with my car's hardware?

darreln
Try US Mobile. They operate on the 3G T-Mobile network and are also inexpensive. Unlike TruPhone you don't pay for data kb as you go but pick a plan each month for whatever you think you'll need. The monthly plans start at $4.70 for 100MB, $7.70 for 200MB and so on after a one time $4 charge for the sim. I don't use Google Earth very often or wifi hotspot at all and the 100MB per month is more than enough for online destination searches, weather, etc.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

great thank you for the info!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

great thank you for the info!
If you decide to order their sim, once it arrives and you register it on their website, pop in the sim and change your MMI connection settings as follows:

APN: pwg
User: enter one blank space
PW: leave blank

Wait an hour and you should be all set.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

About how long did the update take to do? I think I read 2 hours? Seems like a long time.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, 2-3 hours. A combination of a load of data and a slow MMI.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MMI / NAV update US Market