A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect

Hi All - Coming over from the C7 forums... Please see this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2818216
Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Hi All - Coming over from the C7 forums... Please see this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2818216
Thanks! However this is incredibly expensive! $.17/MB=$170/GB, i.e. 11.3x more than the Audi Connect T-Mobile monthly costs.

I understand the desire to find a cheaper solution to T-Mobile. If you pre-load your account with $15 you will only get 88MB!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yeah, but T-Mobile wants $30/month !

The Tru plan seems reasonable if you just want a little bit of data here or there, like I think I will want. Everyone has a phone already and most people have a data plan on that phone or a MiFi hotspot.

I think I will try this out since a few $ a month is about all that I will need for a dedicated automotive Google function. I emailed them about how to add data when the initial SIM is used up and they responded: "Once that you have your TRU sim card we need to activate it either online or by calling TRU (808). We will be asking for your debit or credit card details and will save it on file so that once that credits had been used up, you can add credits on it.

Thank you for contacting Tru."

Last edited by JerryS4; 12-11-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't get the value of this at all.

1. My iPhone has a mobile hot spot. So if I want others in the car to have a wifi, all my friends have smart phones so I can't see that ever happening, I could just share my iPhone connection.

2. It's only going to work where the network is available, no different than my iPhone.

3. I have TomTom on my iPhone and iPad, turn by turn navigation. Where would this be an advantage?

Not trying to argue, no one ever wins an argument on the Internet. But I just don't understand what the value is here.

Thanks,
Old 12-11-2011, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gangee
I don't get the value of this at all.

1. My iPhone has a mobile hot spot. So if I want others in the car to have a wifi, all my friends have smart phones so I can't see that ever happening, I could just share my iPhone connection.

2. It's only going to work where the network is available, no different than my iPhone.

3. I have TomTom on my iPhone and iPad, turn by turn navigation. Where would this be an advantage?

Not trying to argue, no one ever wins an argument on the Internet. But I just don't understand what the value is here.

Thanks,
Agree and that's why it's not worth 30 bucks a month. However the ability to integrate google searches into the nav, find gas prices, weather and a few other things are nice to have considering with the TRU plan, it's 100 percent pay as you go.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cbb09
Thanks! However this is incredibly expensive! $.17/MB=$170/GB, i.e. 11.3x more than the Audi Connect T-Mobile monthly costs.

I understand the desire to find a cheaper solution to T-Mobile. If you pre-load your account with $15 you will only get 88MB!
Without google maps and wifi hotspot 88mb would be enough data for years.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm a little confused by all of this. I thought I could just ask my carrier, AT&T, for an extra SIM card and use that. I have unlimited data on my iPhone (Grandfathered in) so I thought if I just get the extra SIM card I should be good to go, no?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
Without google maps and wifi hotspot 88mb would be enough data for years.
What mobile data are you using the connection for if not Google maps?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mainly Google searches, downloading destinations to the nav, gas prices and weather. And Google maps when needed.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I'm a little confused by all of this. I thought I could just ask my carrier, AT&T, for an extra SIM card and use that. I have unlimited data on my iPhone (Grandfathered in) so I thought if I just get the extra SIM card I should be good to go, no?

That would be nice, but an additional sim card means an additional data plan at roughly $30 / month

Quick Reply: Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect