A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

New to Forum. Looking to buy a new 2016 A7

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum. Looking to buy a new 2016 A7

First a little background. I currently live in Hawaii and have a Nissan Leaf. The Leaf is actually nice enough for getting around O'ahu and I power it off my PV. Next year I'm retiring to rural northern New Hampshire and it makes no sense to take the Leaf with me. I do like driving the electric car but the range issue is a problem even with a Tesla, particularly since I am expecting to do some long road trips when I'm retired.

My first consideration for getting a car for my new home is that because the house in on a dirt road with some 15% grades. We get a lot of snow in the White Mountains but the real challenge in the mud season - late March and early April. I've been very impressed with the reviews of the Audi's Quattro drive and all the various videos on Youtube.

Second, the car has to be comfortable to drive for both myself (5'11") and my wife (4'10"). We've never really found a car that isn't a compromise here but we test drove an A7 last week and it fits both of us quite well.

Third, I used to have a 2002 VW Golf TDI and got to really like driving a diesel. Those of you with Audi TDIs I'm sure know what I'm talking about here.

Fourth, I like hatch backs. All the cars I've ever owned have been hatch backs.

Given those four considerations the A7 seems like my best, and perhaps only, choice.

I'm 60 and I've only owned four cars so far: A Ford Fiesta, two VW Golfs and the Nissan Leaf. None of these are in the same class as an Audi so I'm new to owning a car with this level of sophistication (and price). I'm not really a car person but nonetheless I did do several mods on the Golf TDI. I tend to keep cars a long time and at my age my new TDI could very well outlast my ability to drive. So I want a really nice car this time that is fun to drive, comfortable on long road trips, and does well in winter weather conditions.

I'll be following up with some specific questions as I go through the purchase process. I don't need to have the car in hand until next summer when I move to New Hampshire so I have some time to make sure I navigate the purchase process in a way that gets me the car I want at a fair price.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Considering the height difference between you and your wife, I would suggest you order the 18 way adjustable seat. I have it and it is really flexible to set, and has independent memory for both sides (not to forget the massage and ventilation features). The order code is "PS8 - Multicontour and Ventilation Package".

And definitely go with the TDI!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I currently have the new 2016 Audi A7 with sports package and the car is very smooth and comfortable. I am getting 29 mpg average on highway and 23-24 mpg combined city/highway which is impressive for this powerful engine. The car is the best on the highway and very effortless to drive even at 80 mph. The quattro is superior to BMW x-drive or Mercedes 4 matic from my experience owning cars in Michigan during the winters. I do get separate winter wheels/tires to increase traction over the standard all seasons so that is up to you to decide. As far as longevity, our 2006 Audi A8 had 180k miles in 8 years and our current 2012 Audi A8L has 90k miles in 3.5 years and is doing well without much problems. I would say Audis have great dependability and can last long with good maintenance without breaking the bank.

BTW, my brother has the 2014 Audi A6 TDI and is getting great gas mileage 35mph plus on highway and 24 mph city. The car is smooth with great torque. You will be happy with this engine in the A7.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Given your comments about the expected mud roads in NH, I might tend to look at a Q5 or Q7 TDI. I have an A7 and it is great in snow, but dealing with a very low profile sedan in the mud might be a challenge. I would never sell Audi short, but I think the SUV would be a more practical choice for snow and mud.
Z
Old 09-12-2015, 01:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Considering the height difference between you and your wife, I would suggest you order the 18 way adjustable seat. I have it and it is really flexible to set, and has independent memory for both sides (not to forget the massage and ventilation features). The order code is "PS8 - Multicontour and Ventilation Package".

And definitely go with the TDI!
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've added the "Individual Contour Seating package" to my configuration. When I went to the dealer they didn't have a prestige A7 and I wanted to try out the HUD (which I really liked) so they put me in an A8 which also had the Individual Contour Seats so I know what you are talking about.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zekeman
Given your comments about the expected mud roads in NH, I might tend to look at a Q5 or Q7 TDI. I have an A7 and it is great in snow, but dealing with a very low profile sedan in the mud might be a challenge. I would never sell Audi short, but I think the SUV would be a more practical choice for snow and mud.
Z
You could be right but I really liked the A7. I take some solace in the fact that the previous occupants in the house we will be living in had a regular run of the mill sedan and did manage ok. When I looked at the A7 in the dealer show room it didn't seem that low to the ground compared to some other cars I've seen. Can the clearance be adjusted upwards if necessary via a mod (perhaps to the suspension)?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea what advice to offer you as we are polar opposites. I just bought my 60th new car and I'm 62 years old. I just traded a 2015 A7 for a 2016 A7 (not planned and there is a story behind it). But you might want to know this. As my 60th car and being a huge gear head, I absolutely love the A7.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You'll be very happy with the TDI and Quattro system. Since you'll be in the White Mountains (a beautiful area!), you'll want to get a second set of dedicated snow tires for winter use.

Since you've got a while before you'll be buying, the easiest way to ensure you'll get a "fair price" is to join Audi Club North America so you'll qualify for a 6% discount - you can search the threads for more details on this, but here's a link to the ACNA site that discusses this:

Member Loyalty Program | Audi Club of North America
Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, I'm kinda with Zeke on giving the Q5 (diesel or not) some consideration given your profile, Gavia. That, with winter tires, would give you great performance when the going gets tough due to far more ground clearance compared to a sedan...
Old 09-13-2015, 02:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
You'll be very happy with the TDI and Quattro system. Since you'll be in the White Mountains (a beautiful area!), you'll want to get a second set of dedicated snow tires for winter use.

Since you've got a while before you'll be buying, the easiest way to ensure you'll get a "fair price" is to join Audi Club North America so you'll qualify for a 6% discount - you can search the threads for more details on this, but here's a link to the ACNA site that discusses this:

Member Loyalty Program | Audi Club of North America
Thanks for the info on the ACNA. I'm now a member. I think I'll take their winter driving course when the time comes. Been a while since I've driven in snow.

Quick Reply: New to Forum. Looking to buy a new 2016 A7