A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

New to Forum. Looking to buy a new 2016 A7

Old 09-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman
Yeah, kinda curious about that...sort of bassackwards. Last place I would retire to would be cold wx! I've retired now 3 times and the first 2 times I had to find something to do, so got another job. Retired life is peachy, but you'd better have a serious hobby to sink yourself into...doing nothing will send you off to do the dirt nap quickly. Winter way up in the NE isn't the place to do anything outside. BUT - to each his own!
Z
Well, Hawaii has become a problem for my wife. She has asthma and the fumes from Kilauea have become a real problem, even on O'ahu. It is a combination of changing winds and the volcano putting out a lot more toxic gasses, so I really can't ask her to stay here. My wife's family owns some property on Squam Lake in NH and we will be able to have a life-time lease on a lake front house for less than it would cost to rent a 400 square foot apartment here on O'ahu. When I sell my house in Hawaii and move to the land of no state income tax and no sales tax, where groceries are 30% - 40% less expensive than Hawaii, I will be able to afford the high end Audi, a nice boat, and some other good things as well. I also won't miss the noise and light pollution, which are a real nuisance on O'ahu.

Not too worried about the cold. I have spent some time in Sweden where the say "Det är inte dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder." Meaning there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. Perhaps they should also say "och dåliga bilar" and bad cars. I am worried a bit about winter driving and want a car that can handle it. I am definitely going to get the night assist to help with avoiding the deer, moose and bears that I've seen run across the road on many occasions. On the plus side I won't drive to work every day so I should be able to avoid driving in bad weather most of the time.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gavia
Yes. A 1980 Ford Fiesta. A 1990 VW Golf, A 2002 Golf TDI, 2011 Nissan Leaf. Probably would have hung onto the TDI longer but wanted to get an electric car. The only one I actually wore out was the first Golf. The Fiesta was still doing pretty well but it didn't make sense to take it to Hawaii with me.
Hi Gavia,
I'm as curious as Zekeman as to why you're retiring away from Hawaii to a cold and snowy climate, where most would be doing the reverse. In any case, I hope you'll make the right decision in your choice of a luxury auto. If you really like the form and function of an A7, try looking for a good used S7 instead. With its active Air Suspension, you can raise it up to 8" of ground clearance (I just measured mine) for muddy and snowy terrains. Just another option. Happy retirement Gavia!

oops...you've just answered the question before I posted this one.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Hi Gavia,
I'm as curious as Zekeman as to why you're retiring away from Hawaii to a cold and snowy climate, where most would be doing the reverse. In any case, I hope you'll make the right decision in your choice of a luxury auto. If you really like the form and function of an A7, try looking for a good used S7 instead. With its active Air Suspension, you can raise it up to 8" of ground clearance (I just measured mine) for muddy and snowy terrains. Just another option. Happy retirement Gavia!

oops...you've just answered the question before I posted this one.
I really wish the S7 came with a TDI. I really like the diesels and it would be really nice if they made the dual turbo TDI with the active air suspension available in the USA ...
Old 09-17-2015, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavia
Well, Hawaii has become a problem for my wife. She has asthma and the fumes from Kilauea have become a real problem, even on O'ahu. It is a combination of changing winds and the volcano putting out a lot more toxic gasses, so I really can't ask her to stay here. My wife's family owns some property on Squam Lake in NH and we will be able to have a life-time lease on a lake front house for less than it would cost to rent a 400 square foot apartment here on O'ahu. When I sell my house in Hawaii and move to the land of no state income tax and no sales tax, where groceries are 30% - 40% less expensive than Hawaii, I will be able to afford the high end Audi, a nice boat, and some other good things as well. I also won't miss the noise and light pollution, which are a real nuisance on O'ahu.

Not too worried about the cold. I have spent some time in Sweden where the say "Det är inte dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder." Meaning there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. Perhaps they should also say "och dåliga bilar" and bad cars. I am worried a bit about winter driving and want a car that can handle it. I am definitely going to get the night assist to help with avoiding the deer, moose and bears that I've seen run across the road on many occasions. On the plus side I won't drive to work every day so I should be able to avoid driving in bad weather most of the time.
Makes complete sense to move away from the toxic atmosphere! Regarding noise and light pollution - certainly won't be any of the latter. The former is another story, particularly in the summertime. We used to spend two weeks every summer on a lake in Maine, and on the first two trips the jet skis drove us insane, along with the partying late at night from other people renting cottages/houses/cabins along the lake. It was amazing how easily sound travels across lakes, when the activity is over a mile away on the opposite shore. We fixed the issue by going to Maine AFTER Labor Day; we found the best time in New England for a degree of peace was when all the tourists left.

Regarding the night assist...suggest you thoroughly check into it and maybe save some $$ by eliminating it. I had it on my first A7 and found its effectiveness to be pretty minimal. It's pretty gimicky and I've talked to other owners who regretted getting it. Most of the other options in the drivers assistant package are worthwhile, in my opinion.
Z
Old 09-18-2015, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

You could always get an A7 TDI....
Old 09-18-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh heck Squam Lake isn't even that far north! It is a spectacular lake! The movie On Golden Pond was shot there, it is was one of the reasons we moved to NH. I would think you'd be fine there with an A7.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Maui19
Oh heck Squam Lake isn't even that far north! It is a spectacular lake! The movie On Golden Pond was shot there, it is was one of the reasons we moved to NH. I would think you'd be fine there with an A7.
But we will be on the NORTH end of the lake . Much quieter at that end of the lake. Also helps that jet skies aren't allowed on Squam.

I've been out to the lake in the summer a lot, in fact I was there when they were filming On Golden Pond (yes, I'm that old). Always laughed at Henry Fonda hanging onto a rock fronting the Yard Islands that I knew was in only 3 feet of water (if that). I just haven't been there in the winter and mud season so I am a little nervous, particularly since I haven't done any winter driving in over 25 years. The dirt road to the house is maintained by the town of Sandwich so maybe it won't be so bad. I've been told that NH 113 along the north shore of the lake can be really difficult in the winter. It is pretty broken up even in the summer. I figure the quattro drive is about as good as you can get for those conditions. I've joined the Audi Club of North America and think I will enroll in one of the winter driving courses.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just Bought a Brand new audi A7 a couple of days ago, and what i can say is that it is an amazing car. Go for TDI for sure outstanding fuel efficiency and great torque.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
You'll be very happy with the TDI and Quattro system. Since you'll be in the White Mountains (a beautiful area!), you'll want to get a second set of dedicated snow tires for winter use.

Since you've got a while before you'll be buying, the easiest way to ensure you'll get a "fair price" is to join Audi Club North America so you'll qualify for a 6% discount - you can search the threads for more details on this, but here's a link to the ACNA site that discusses this:

Member Loyalty Program | Audi Club of North America
Hey there - question for you. I did read the link you posted but I was wondering how that combines with other discounts while purchasing a car. Does it stack on top of loyalty discounts for being a previous Audi owner, and do you present this before or after you negotiate a price for the car?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Since Audi is reimbursed in full on Audi loyalty programs, it can be combined with any discount negotiated including ACNA. However, dealers will rarely combine ACNA with other non-reimbursable discounts no matter when the ACNA discount is presented. It will be either/or but almost never both.