A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Night vision icons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Night vision icons?

I've got a 2012 A7 with the innovation package, which gives me the "night vision assistant with pedestrian detection and warning" function. The other day I turned it on and noted two small, yellow icons in the upper right-hand corner of the display. One was a figure of a person and the other was a bell or something along those lines. Both had a universal "no" symbol type line through them. I took this as an indication that although the night vision function was working, the pedestrian detection and audio warning were offline. (I resisted the temptation to aim the car at a random passer-by to test this assumption.)

Since then these icons have appeared several times, seemingly at random, while other times everything seems to be working normally. I know that some of the night vision functions only work within a certain temperature range, but I've had these icons both appear and not appear at various times when the temperature has been well within the normal parameters.

Can anyone confirm what these icons indicate and why, or under what circumstances, those two functions would be disabled? I'm not seeing any rhyme or reason to whether they're on or off - though I admittedly don't use this feature often enough to do much hypothesis testing. It's more of a random curiosity thing, as not knowing is going to bother me a lot more than having this semi-obscure feature be occasionally offline.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is settings in the MMI for audible/visual alerts etc, when i have my night vision on it highlights pedestrians in yellow and when close in red and will display to the hud and beep when in close proximity, Makre sure you keep the camera lens clean, i find some silicone based glass cleaner helps stop the dirt stick to ir
Old 03-02-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The icons in the upper right indicate the function is not active, generally a result of using it when it is still daylight. The icons will probably disappear for you nearer dusk and when dark outside.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realize that the function doesn't work unless it's relatively dark. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also realize the system doesn't work if the ambient air temperature is above about 85 degrees, even if it is dark outside. It's actually really limited. I have it on my A7 but I'm not sure I'd get on another Audi unless they removed some of the limitations, especially given the price.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsnap
Also realize the system doesn't work if the ambient air temperature is above about 85 degrees, even if it is dark outside. It's actually really limited. I have it on my A7 but I'm not sure I'd get on another Audi unless they removed some of the limitations, especially given the price.
I fully agree with you. I had it in my 2012 TFSI, it was the only option I left out when I replaced it with a 2015 TDI.