A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Persistent Overheat - towed to dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Persistent Overheat - towed to dealer.

I has driving my car yesterday afternoon. It was about 75 degrees out and I was driving on the freeway no traffic. It was nice and flat. All of a sudden coolant temp warning came on and my instrument cluster advised me to stop and leave the engine running while stationary. I find my way off the freeway and pull into a parking lot and wait for about 15 min and the temp drops 2 led bars. I continue driving and the temps shot backup the the red led with in a few minutes and the coolant warning came up. I pull into another plaza and leave the engine running. This time I let it cool almost back to regular operating temp. Then I tried to continue and with in a few minutes it shot back up the red and the warning came on again. At this point I just called Audi and had my car towed to the dealer ship near my house.

My car is currently at the dealer they suspect it maybe a stuck thermostat.
Has this happens to anyone else on here?
Any other theories on possible causes?
Should I be concerned about engine damage due to the heat?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks with a car of any age or any price. Could be a bad water pump or sensor. I don't think the engine was damaged. I believe there's enough fail safe mechanisms in place to not let it get that far.

Having just picked up my car last Thursday and living here in SoFlo where the temps are consistently above 75, I'm most interested in the diagnoses and "fix".
Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The cooling systems of modern cars are pretty robust, if certain critical components are working as intended. If there was no steam pouring out from under the hood and no puddle of coolant under the car, then I concur that either the thermostat stuck closed or the water pump failed.

Given that there's still coolant in the engine and you didn't foolishly keep going once the warnings sounded, there's zero chance of any engine damage. Rest easy.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
The cooling systems of modern cars are pretty robust, if certain critical components are working as intended. If there was no steam pouring out from under the hood and no puddle of coolant under the car, then I concur that either the thermostat stuck closed or the water pump failed.

Given that there's still coolant in the engine and you didn't foolishly keep going once the warnings sounded, there's zero chance of any engine damage. Rest easy.
You hit the nail right on the head.

I just got a call from the dealer. They ordered a new water pump and mentioned that it might be a bad pump, impeller may have came loose and spinning on the shaft. They will change out the thermostat just in case.

I did drive the car for just a bit to get it safely off the freeway. First thing I did was turn off the ac, then slowed down a bit and was as light footed as possible till I was able to exit and pull into a safe spot.

They wont start work on it till Monday. Hopefully its an isolated problem and isn't in the rest of the 3.0t models.

My car is 1 yr and 4 mo old with 41k miles.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad all worked out for you.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got overheated as will. Same as ur situation and Was at 39k mile lol. Hopefully something minor. Really need the car for the weekend
Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am having exactly the same issue on my 2012 a7.

What was the outcome?
What did the dealer replaced exactly?

Please share. Thanks

Originally Posted by iewsemaj
You hit the nail right on the head.

I just got a call from the dealer. They ordered a new water pump and mentioned that it might be a bad pump, impeller may have came loose and spinning on the shaft. They will change out the thermostat just in case.

I did drive the car for just a bit to get it safely off the freeway. First thing I did was turn off the ac, then slowed down a bit and was as light footed as possible till I was able to exit and pull into a safe spot.

They wont start work on it till Monday. Hopefully its an isolated problem and isn't in the rest of the 3.0t models.

My car is 1 yr and 4 mo old with 41k miles.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same thing happened to me. Thermostat stuck, seems pretty common on the 3.0t (dealer admitted it to me) in addition to constantly seeing similar posts.

Happened to me at 30K, im at 41K now. No issues, no engine damage from the temp warning. Similar to you I pulled off immediately.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yep just happened to my A6 3.0t today....temp was 1 led off from max. glad that it was this morning at 55F, had the car towed into service once I got to work, probably thermostat or water pump....I got 48k miles on it
Old 11-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

For those who have had the water pump, thermostat or AC compressor replaced, how has it worked out so far?

I just bought my A7 this past Saturday and it had these items replaced and I hope it isn't an issue I'll be seeing again.

Quick Reply: Persistent Overheat - towed to dealer.