A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Problems after installing an RS7 front grille

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after installing an RS7 front grille

Hello guys. Recently I handed over my car to a workshop to swap the OEM A7 grill and replace it with aftermarket RS7 grill (bought on eBay in UK).
The workshop removed the front bumper during the install, the fitment was without problems. I thought everything was going to be fine, but I was wrong. Now, these are the problems that started right after the grill was installed:
1. Light malfunction warning shows up when turning on LED low beam lights, the warning disappear if I use the DRL only. According to diagnostic there is something wrong with low-beam headlight on one side, even though all lights are working. The workshop didn't remove the headlights as it wasn't necessary so I can not understand why this is happening.
2. Both parking sensors located on the front grill are acting weird, sometimes they work fine but most of the time they indicate that I am close to hitting something even thought they are not. All other parking sensor are working normal besides these two. No errors in diagnostic on the sensors.
3. All of a suden a tyre underinflated warning showed up for the first time ever. Checked the tires and the pressure was normal. The warning hasn't showed up later (yet).

I'm really confused, I was thinking installing a grille should be an easy swap. Any ideas what is happening here?

Name:  20160731_184003_zps6er13w8k.jpg
Views: 6171
Size:  231.2 KB
Old 08-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm...that is perplexing. I did the swap and had no issues with any of my sensors but the only thing I did differently was disconnect my battery. I do this more as a precaution since there are quite a bit of electrical parts in most newer cars nowadays.

I would try unplugging the battery and see if it resets everything since you are not seeing any errors with vagcom. I usually start there when I need to troubleshoot. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been doing some more investigating today. It looks like water is entering the sensors due to incorrect placement, when I shake them some water is coming out. I guess this is why they are acting so weird. Here are some pictures, may this be the problem I'm experiencing with the sensors?

Name:  20160806_193723_zpsk0kfatsc.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  154.1 KB

Name:  20160806_193737_zpsiufpjqol.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  141.1 KB

Last edited by Iceman22; 08-06-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Water in the sensors will definitely give you false readings.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't help, but the grill looks great.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Iceman22,
Sorry I don't check the forums often enough. The water in the sensors will definitely give you problems. I would recommend that you don't touch anything and go back to the place you had it installed and explain to them what you found. Hopefully they will work with you regarding the issues you have and that it clears it up. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

RS7 badge is confusing the ecu sorry couldn't help it. The sensors loo pretty inset and close to the grill surface are under it. Don't these need to be recalibrated. Since these things are exposed to the elements why would water be an issue?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Issue

Originally Posted by Iceman22
I've been doing some more investigating today. It looks like water is entering the sensors due to incorrect placement, when I shake them some water is coming out. I guess this is why they are acting so weird. Here are some pictures, may this be the problem I'm experiencing with the sensors?.

I have the same problem with 1 of my front sensors after i fitted RS grill.
My front middle passenger side shows very close even when nothing there but in dry all A-ok.
Def a water issue.
All my other sensors are fine even when this 1 plays up.

Keep us informed
Old 08-25-2016, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just a little update:
I took out the parking sensors from the grille, cleaned them and fitted them back and made sure the sealings was properly fitted. After that I haven't had any false alarm issue, even thought it has rained a lot lately. I'm pretty sure this is just rain entering the "sensitive" sensor area and giving false alarm.
Also, the light malfunction warning problem disappeared by itself, so hopefully it will stay this way.

And note this: The front bumper has been removed, but no re-calibration was necessary of the ACC. It still works fine as before and no error messages is given.

I will report back to you if the problem occurs again and I manage to fix it
Old 08-26-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman22
Just a little update:
I took out the parking sensors from the grille, cleaned them and fitted them back and made sure the sealings was properly fitted. After that I haven't had any false alarm issue, even thought it has rained a lot lately. I'm pretty sure this is just rain entering the "sensitive" sensor area and giving false alarm.
Also, the light malfunction warning problem disappeared by itself, so hopefully it will stay this way.

And note this: The front bumper has been removed, but no re-calibration was necessary of the ACC. It still works fine as before and no error messages is given.

I will report back to you if the problem occurs again and I manage to fix it
What seals did you check?
I will need to get to this.
Just got car back from getting
S-Tronic service

Quick Reply: Problems after installing an RS7 front grille