A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Puncture in AUX radiator. Hidden TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puncture in AUX radiator. Hidden TSB

So somehow my aux radiator got punctured (completely drained my fluid, waring lights came on, and had to have car towed by Audi Care), thought it would be covered in warranty, wrong. Luckily I got this to get covered by my insurance under comp (TIP: always say something came out of the back of a truck and flew your way hitting your car). Anyways the bill was $1049 originally, got dealer to drop it to $820...but here's the kicker: apparently there is a TSB out for a grill that would go infront ton the Aux radiator...WTF if they know there is an issue why isn’t this covered under warranty? Dealer is making me pay for the grill, as it is optional...NET NET my insurance covered the repair (my responsibility only my 100 dollar deductible), but Audi is charging me like 124 bucks for the grill....THAT THEY KNOW IS AN ISSUE???????????? Dealer even said he's seen 4-5 of these?????????????????

Last edited by MacA7; 05-12-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MacA7
So somehow my aux radiator got punctured (completely drained my fluid, waring lights came on, and had to have car towed by Audi Care), thought it would be covered in warranty, wrong. Luckily I got this to get covered by my insurance under comp (TIP: always say something came out of the back of a truck and flew your way hitting your car). Anyways the bill was $1049 originally, got dealer to drop it to $820...but here's the kicker: apparently there is a TSB out for a grill that would go infront ton the Aux radiator...WTF if they know there is an issue why isn’t this covered under warranty? Dealer is making me pay for the grill, as it is optional...NET NET my insurance covered the repair (my responsibility only my 100 dollar deductible), but Audi is charging me like 124 bucks for the grill....THAT THEY KNOW IS AN ISSUE???????????? Dealer even said he's seen 4-5 of these?????????????????

can you say more about where the damage occurred? and where the screen would be installed. Not much room in there.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Last summer I was driving from Colorado to Utah in my 2012 A7, and hit a stretch of road construction in western Colorado on I-70. After passing through it, I came up behind a gravel truck for a short distance before I could pass him. When we reached Price, Utah the "low coolant" light came on, so I stopped at a station to check it. It was down, and I could not see any collant in the reservoir. I looked for leaks but could not see one, nor any fluid beneath the car. I bought some pre-mix at the station and topped it up. I continued on to Salt Lake and stopped at a hotel for the night. Collant looked OK, no light on the dash. In the morning there was a puddle of collant below the front of the car. I took it to a local Audi dealer and they diagnosed a pin-hole leak in that AUX radiator, the bottom front radiator. A small rock came through the lower grill and punctured it, but with no damage to the grill. Parts plus labor came to $750, all my cost. I didn't bother to check my comprehensive insurance because I have a $1000 deductible.

Thanks for telling me about the TSB for the screen; that's what it needs. My A7 goes in for the 35,000 mile servicing in June, and I'll ask about it.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is the TSB# 2034439/2 should be the same as for the A6

More info about it can be found here:

TSB for Intercooler Grill
Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Picture of the Grill

I called Audi ,made a stink, and they are covering the cost. Here's a pic of the grill. HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO ALL!
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Took my 2012 A7 in for the 35,000 servicing yesterday and asked them to perform the TSB for the AUX radiator. I was told that the TSB was issued in July 2013, one month after my issue (see my earlier post). It was all taken care of no problem, a "grill" was installed in front of that radiator. However, my guess is they would not have done this if I had not asked. Living in a rural area with gravel roads all around us, I'm feeling a lot better about this now.

I also asked whether they would reimburse me for the cost of last year's incident; we were out of state when it happened. They told me that my cost would be reimbursed, but I would have to recover from the dealer in Utah who did the work, or from Audi USA directly.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Noob question - new cars, e.g. 2014 MY, already have this, right?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Took my 2012 A7 in for the 35,000 servicing yesterday and asked them to perform the TSB for the AUX radiator. I was told that the TSB was issued in July 2013, one month after my issue (see my earlier post). It was all taken care of no problem, a "grill" was installed in front of that radiator. However, my guess is they would not have done this if I had not asked...
Could you share the TSB# from your work order / receipt?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tman007
Could you share the TSB# from your work order / receipt?
The TSB is: 2034439/2
Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yesterday I had a letter from AOA concerning my request for reimbursement of the cost of replacing the damaged auxiliary radiator on my 2012 A7. I quote from the letter below.

"In my research of your concerns, I found that your VIN is not eligible for coverage under the radiator campaign. ... A Technical Service Bulletin is developed to help the Audi Technician in the diagnosis the concern on a vehicle. The TSB is not an warranty extension, a recall or a campaign." (Gammatical errors are his.)

Why is my VIN not eligible? he doesn't say. My incident happened in June 2013, and the TSB was issued in July 2013, according to my dealer. I bought my 2012 A7 in September 2011.

Quick Reply: Puncture in AUX radiator. Hidden TSB