A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Question about tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tire size?

I'm in the market for a nice used A7. Love the styling of the A7 and the fact that you rarely see one of these where I live. In fact, the closest used certified A7 is about a 3.5 hour each way trip from me.

Yesterday, I was able to test drive a new A7 for the first time, to see if I'd like the ride/performance, etc. I loved everything about the car, but the ride....I could feel every imperfection of the road which made my lower back sore after only 20 minutes of driving. Later, I realized that it had 20" wheels. Looking online, the 2012 specs say they come with 18" wheels. I wonder if the difference in wheels would be significant in relation to the ride/feel of the car?

Any thoughts between 18"/20" or even 19"/20" wheels?

I really want to love this car...but I'm getting older and my body isn't as tolerant as it once was.

Best wishes,
No Regrets
Old 06-23-2015, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 20" wheels make the ride considerably stiffer than 19" or 18".
Old 06-23-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Also, the A7 you drove likely had the S-Line Sport package which among other things, has a stiffer, lower suspension. You might want to try driving a non-sport version. If you like the handling and look of the S-line sport, consider the 19" version. I have the sport package with 19" wheels on my A6 and I feel it's a good compromise between handling and ride comfort. BTW, I believe the 18" on an A7 or A6 look too small for those cars.

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-23-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Also, the A7 you drove likely had the S-Line Sport package which among other things, has a stiffer, lower suspension. You might want to try driving a non-sport version. If you like the handling and look of the S-line sport, consider the 19" version. I have the sport package with 19" wheels on my A6 and I feel it's a good compromise between handling and ride comfort. BTW, I believe the 18" on an A7 or A6 look too small for those cars.
Ah, excellent observation Snagitseven! Yes, indeed. After just now going online to look more closely at the new A7 that I test drove yesterday, it was infact the Prestige with the S Line Sport Package and 20" wheels.

I currently have a call in to the salesman at the dealer where the 2012 A7 is at to inquire about the actual wheel size and if it also has the sport package.

I'm starting to get excited now, hoping that this car will have a significantly better ride!

Thanks for your input!

Best Wishes,
No Regrets
Old 06-23-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
The 20" wheels make the ride considerably stiffer than 19" or 18".
Thank you Jasonlitka!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Pressure!!

Originally Posted by No Regrets
Ah, excellent observation Snagitseven! Yes, indeed. After just now going online to look more closely at the new A7 that I test drove yesterday, it was infact the Prestige with the S Line Sport Package and 20" wheels.

I currently have a call in to the salesman at the dealer where the 2012 A7 is at to inquire about the actual wheel size and if it also has the sport package.

I'm starting to get excited now, hoping that this car will have a significantly better ride!
While you're at it, ask the salesperson to check the tire pressure on all 4 corners, regardless of whether it's 19" or 20", sports or non-sports suspension. I'd bet they've got them all up in the 44+psi range. Go do another test drive, but this time bring a tire pressure gauge and or have them bring it down to the normal load pressure of say 38 F and 36 R. This alone makes for some significant ride difference.

Good luck, you'll have No Regrets!
Old 06-23-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Another excellent point.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the 20 inch on my A7 and have set of continental tires 265/35/20 inch that are are super smooth on the highway. But i wanted to get more road feel and steering/handling feedback while retaining the smooth ride so i got 275/35R20 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires (thicker tires) and wow this car handles even better and rides even smoother without compromising the ride on the highway here in Michigan. I would double check the pressure and make sure its 38 front and 35 or 33 psi rear if you want normal load pressure for better ride according to manual. Dealer often overinflate tires.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I got the 20 inch on my A7 and have set of continental tires 265/35/20 inch that are are super smooth on the highway. But i wanted to get more road feel and steering/handling feedback while retaining the smooth ride so i got 275/35R20 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires (thicker tires) and wow this car handles even better and rides even smoother without compromising the ride on the highway here in Michigan. I would double check the pressure and make sure its 38 front and 35 or 33 psi rear if you want normal load pressure for better ride according to manual. Dealer often overinflate tires.
Continental DWS? If so, those are great for low-profile rides. They have a relatively soft sidewall so they smooth things out without having to drop to a smaller wheel. Don't use them on a 45 or higher profile though, the ride feels like Jello.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Continental DWS? If so, those are great for low-profile rides. They have a relatively soft sidewall so they smooth things out without having to drop to a smaller wheel. Don't use them on a 45 or higher profile though, the ride feels like Jello.
And take care not to curb a tire. The sidewalls are quite a bit softer than most. I know this from personal experience with the DWS on my last A4. Two blowouts in 3 years.

Quick Reply: Question about tire size?