A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Question on buying extended warranty and more

Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on buying extended warranty and more

Hello All,

Former A6 owner - now a new 2012 A7 owner (oolong grey, prestige package); I haven't picked up the car yet but will on Sunday. I'm not buying it from an Audi dealer so I have a question on extended warranties.

The car is still under factory warranty for another 20k or 16 months.

Can I purchase an extended warranty from Audi regardless of where I purchased the car from? I.e I want to go to my local Audi dealer and purchase a warranty when it gets closer to running out.

This was a CPO car but my understanding is that is not transferable to a new owner if it was purchased through a dealer; is that true?

I'm located in SoCal and would welcome recommendations on purchasing the warranties.

BTW - planned mods in order of how they will happen; spacers, eibach springs, APR or similar ECU tuning, some exhaust (open to suggestions), supercharger pulley.

I'm happy to be back to the Audi family.

Last edited by localbrew; 11-18-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by localbrew
Hello All,

Former A6 owner - now a new 2012 A7 owner (oolong grey, prestige package); I haven't picked up the car yet but will on Sunday. I'm not buying it from an Audi dealer so I have a question on extended warranties.

The car is still under factory warranty for another 20k or 16 months.

Can I purchase an extended warranty from Audi regardless of where I purchased the car from? I.e I want to go to my local Audi dealer and purchase a warranty when it gets closer to running out.

This was a CPO car but my understanding is that is not transferable to a new owner if it was purchased through a dealer; is that true?

I'm located in SoCal and would welcome recommendations on purchasing the warranties.

BTW - planned mods in order of how they will happen; spacers, eibach springs, APR or similar ECU tuning, some exhaust (open to suggestions), supercharger pulley.

I'm happy to be back to the Audi family.
Welcome back to Audi!!!

You do have options of (very expensive) Audi extended warranties or very good, less expensive 3rd party warranties such as Route 66. I bought a Route 66 on my 2008 BMW535 at 47 months/42K miles and it paid for itself several times. PM me if you want to know more...

However, if you mod the car most warranties (including CPO) will not cover anything remotely related to the components you alter - unless they don't know you modded it (which any Audi dealer will). So you could spend thousands on an extended warranty that won't pay for much.

My advice - don't mod the car if you're worried about reliability and cost of repairs in the future. Or, mod the car and have a reserve to pay for repairs.

Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
Welcome back to Audi!!!

You do have options of (very expensive) Audi extended warranties or very good, less expensive 3rd party warranties such as Route 66. I bought a Route 66 on my 2008 BMW535 at 47 months/42K miles and it paid for itself several times. PM me if you want to know more...

However, if you mod the car most warranties (including CPO) will not cover anything remotely related to the components you alter - unless they don't know you modded it (which any Audi dealer will). So you could spend thousands on an extended warranty that won't pay for much.

My advice - don't mod the car if you're worried about reliability and cost of repairs in the future. Or, mod the car and have a reserve to pay for repairs.

Good Luck!
I thought Stasis was dealer approved which would not void any Audi extended warranty. Thanks for your feedback as well, and I'm sure my wife would prefer no modding anyway.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I checked one year ago, if I installed any Stasis parts/programming, I would have to get all warranty work done at that Audi dealer only...
Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
When I checked one year ago, if I installed any Stasis parts/programming, I would have to get all warranty work done at that Audi dealer only...
That's what I want to do; I have a good local Audi dealer and I want to get an Audi Extended warranty. I've heard of nightmares when aftermarket warranty companies reject claims.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by localbrew
That's what I want to do; I have a good local Audi dealer and I want to get an Audi Extended warranty. I've heard of nightmares when aftermarket warranty companies reject claims.
The best warranty arrangement is the Audi Extended Warranty and a good relationship with your Audi dealer. It is amazing what 3 boxes of donuts dropped off to the service department around Christmas will do!