A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Rattle coming from headliner/sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle coming from headliner/sunroof

Within the last couple of days I am noticing a rattle (pretty significant) coming from the headliner in the sunroof area. 8K miles now. Is is there with sunroof open or closed and sunshade open or closed. Happens when going over significant bump. Anyone heard of?
Old 01-09-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JShepFL
Within the last couple of days I am noticing a rattle (pretty significant) coming from the headliner in the sunroof area. 8K miles now. Is is there with sunroof open or closed and sunshade open or closed. Happens when going over significant bump. Anyone heard of?
Make sure both your sunshades are clicked tight and stowed away when not in use. Not the shade for the sunroof but the ones above your forehead to shield from the sun when driving.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks - gave them a look over and they are secure. Off to the dealer I guess. Seems whenever I go that can't replicate the problems. Have rattle in center dash Bose speaker and every time I get the same answer "Can't replicate problem". Was hoping to give them more info because it seems when I mention AudiWorld they take the issue more seriously. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Rattle in sunroof

I have the same issue with the sunroof. My car went in to the dealer at 8k and 22k, they could never replicate it. I was able to record it, hopefully the issue will be solved when it goes in tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you can let me know what they say I would appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you can let me know what they say I would appreciate it.
They couldn't locate the source or replicate the noise.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I seem to recall that a number of years ago there were similar complaints with C4 A6 and Allroad models where the metal clip that connects the sunroof's sunshade to the mechanism that moves it when the sunroof is opened would rattle. IIRC, the fix was to remove the sunroof and get in there to resecure and tighten the clip. Perhaps the return of those Gremlins?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NelsonA7
They couldn't locate the source or replicate the noise.
As you see in my previous post it seems whenever it's a rattle all I get back from the dealer is can't replicate the issue. I would call this noise closer to clunking sound that a rattle. It seems to my ear to be metal or glass moving. It takes a significant bump for it to happen. There are a set of railroad tracks that I hear it on every time. Between this clunking noise and the rattle the dealer can't replicate coming from my Bose center speaker I am questioning whether I want to by a 2016. Rattles drive me insane. Inexcusable on a high price sedan
Old 01-30-2015, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

As you see in my previous post it seems whenever it's a rattle all I get back from the dealer is can't replicate the issue. I would call this noise closer to clunking sound that a rattle. It seems to my ear to be metal or glass moving. It takes a significant bump for it to happen. There are a set of railroad tracks that I hear it on every time. Between this clunking noise and the rattle the dealer can't replicate coming from my Bose center speaker I am questioning whether I want to by a 2016. Rattles drive me insane. Inexcusable on a high price sedan
Take the service manager out on a test drive to the set of railroad tracks where you hear it every time!