A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Recently turned down for internal modem upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently turned down for internal modem upgrade

After recently purchasing a 12' A7 and joining this great forum, I came across a thread about upgrading the internal modem. I called AudiConnect and confirmed that I am in a T-Mobile "Turndown Area". So I contacted my local Audi dealer and was told that i needed the letter from Audi.

Today I called Audi of America and was told that the offer is only for "Original Owners". Now I feel like that's just B.S.!

My questions are: Have any pre-owned owners had the same problem?
and Where can I get a "COPY" of this letter for my local dealer??
Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I purchased my '12 A7 CPO in early '15 from a dealer here in the Miami area. About 6 months later I was trying to get my on board WIFI working for a road trip to keep the kids and wife happy. The original owner had left his T-mobile sim in the car. I contacted Audi connect and they transferred the sim to my account and got all setup. I then noticed that I could only connect on 2G. I did some research hear and found the same thing you did. Scheduled an appt. at my local dealer and when I arrived they said the same thing that I needed to wait until I received a letter, I pushed back and eventually my SA did some research and a few days later I had another appt. to upgrade the car to connect on 3G. Thumbs up to Coral Springs Audi for taking care of me.

Best of luck getting yours sorted out.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It seems there's a mixed-bag of results here. Some owners, like me, have been denied by AOA and then there's others that have been able to get AOA to replace their modem. I've tried asking my SA and no one in the shop knew anything about it. Even after I pulled it up on my phone and showed them a copy of a letter posted on the forum.

"Um, I don't know anything about this. You would have to pay for this until we get it sorted out with AOA. We don't ave any part numbers or any way of figuring out how to write this up."

I recommend you keep asking your SA and have them escalate the issue like Raven8906 did.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The official position from AoA is that the free upgrade offer was only extended to original owners that had active T-Mobile service at the time. It was only for a limited time it seems. Original owners in markets where the T-Mobile network refarming hasn't happened yet or is about to happen are running into the same road block now. One reason is Audi doesn't have enough parts.

You can get lucky with your dealer if you have a good service department. Good dealerships are able to pull some strings, especially if they are Audi Magna Society dealerships. https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...e-u-s-for-2015

My market was one of the relative early ones last year and I got my modem upgraded no problem, although I am one of the original owners who got the letter. I have now officially switched to AT&T, too, as the new modem is supported on T-Mobile and AT&T.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-14-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I spent a reasonably substantial amount of money on a CPO 2013 A8L a couple of months ago and was told the same thing. No update. Tough luck. I was very upset as the old t-mobile frequencies don't work at all here. Zero signal. I even offered to buy the parts and upgrade it myself. Apparently parts are unavailable. Eventually I'll find a used unit on Ebay.